Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

electric 90 degree rotating retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

electric 90 degree rotating retracts

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 AM
top gun reed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric 90 degree rotating retracts

Hey guy,s I,am needing help with this do anybody out there no where I can get a set of electric 90 degree rotating retracts for the p-40 warhawk 60 size by top flite right now I,am using the fix gear that came with the plane and we all no that this is not a good look for this wonderful war bird so if anybody out there can help please responed to this thread thank,s and happy flying
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook pictures 020.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1936729  

Last edited by top gun reed; 11-05-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: mis spelling of words
Old 11-05-2013, 11:59 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

There are quite a few threads about this topic, one in particular about a plane similar to what you have.

Here's a long thread that is very informative:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...rs-if-use.html

Here's the thread about the P-40:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...-9-p-40-a.html

Long story short (although I still recommend reading those threads): You're going to have a hard time finding gear that meet all of the required criteria for use. It's like the old racing adage; Cheap, Fast, Reliable. You can only pick 2. For the reliable set, I would go with Lados.

http://www.lado-tech.net/en/rs333/9-rs333-rt.html

At $300 including shipping from France, they are not cheap. However, they will probably outlast the plane they are in. Aside from cost, the main downside to Lados in the extension angle of 90 degrees as opposed to the more ground handling friendly 100 degrees. You'll be fighting nose overs all the time if you fly off a grass field.

Some guys (including me) have had good luck with the FMS rotating retracts that were designed for the 1700mm Corsair. They are however prone to breakage since a lot of the parts are plastic.

Wingspan Retracts makes some nice looking gear, but heed the warning of many of us that have been down that road and avoid them like the plague.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
top gun reed

thank,s buddy I appreciate that I gusse I,ll try to get those lado,s but here,s the thing I can never get in touch with them do you have a phone number or a e- mail link were I can get a resonse from them thank,s again happy flying
Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Properly set up air retracts are very reliable and Sierra make the perfect set of rotaters for the .60 size P-40. They are bullet proof, come with functional oleos, and have the desired 100 degrees of retraction. My opinion only but I would buy them over ANY currently available electric retract as all of them seem to be having teething issues. Electric retracts are definitely the way of the future but, in my opinion, they have not "come of age" just yet and I have had very reliable service from my pneumatic retracts for many years. My .02 cents anyway.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 PM
irocbsa

Chad makes a good point here, but the OP was asking about electrics so those are the options I posted. I don't have any contact information for Lado that will be any better than what you have. I have heard that they can be difficult to get in touch with.

Overall, I agree with your sentiments Chad. There is not one single manufacturer who has come out with the perfect recipe for E-retracts yet. I'm still having luck with my set of ESM V3C rotators, but I thought that about the set that these just replaced and about 6 months in they shredded a couple of teeth on one of the gears. Troy Built did the right thing and replaced them with the updated design, but it looks like ESM is throwing in the towel on electric gear. So now, if this set fails I will have a $250 set of paperweights.

If you want a proved design that will be as tough as nails and don't mind messing with the air system, Sierras are definitely the way to go. However, your bank account will definitely take a hit. Sometimes the big initial investment on a quality product is worth it's weight in gold though. See my comments above.

I'm still doggedly hanging on the electric option because I hate setting up and maintaining the air systems. In theory, electrics are a perfect solution to all of those plumbing problems! Unfortunately, in practice, they have not proven themselves out yet.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:19 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

top gun reed-

Century Jet has them ready to go. Here is a video of my TF P-40 with the retracts installed. They also come with an optional 2 second delay for free. They are also reversible to make setup easy. Call Bruce and tell him Tim sent you!

http://youtu.be/9Sz75Wk9M1o

Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by irocbsa
In theory, electrics are a perfect solution...
No argument on that point irocbsa and I will be heading in that direction myself as the electrics are perfected. Beyond just the ease of installation provided by electric retracts I am also very much attracted to the potential for scale retraction speeds and the ability to easily program them to sequence with gear doors. As you say, in theory, they are a perfect solution. I imagine it won't be too long before theory and practice come together.

And apologies to top gun reed for the thread derailment! I simply have had very good service from pneumatic retracts and sometimes don't fully understand the animosity towards them that I often come across. (Not on this thread.)
Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 PM
tevans55

Chad-
I happen to agree with you. I have pneumatics in all my warbirds covering several of the most popular brands. I tested these electrics for Century Jet and have to admit they have taken a beating. I also think the setup with electrics is just as difficult as pneumatic with batteries and controller. Properly installed and maintained, I think pneumatic still holds the lead with me but the scale movement of the electric is the distinct advantage. The TF P-40 sure looks good with a 6-7 second retraction!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:31 PM
irocbsa

Hey Chad, no thread derailment at all! This is all great info and we need to keep exchanging ideas freely! I greatly admire your abilities and your contribution to this hobby. You certainly have much more experience than I do.

Tevans, I saw those Century Jet pieces at Toledo last year but remember being a little put off by the price. Unfortunately, what that price was and how put off I was by it now eludes me. Could you help us out and let us know what they set you back?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 AM
tevans55

I can't quote prices here because I have been testing these gear for Century Jet and beating the heck out of them!! I even deliberately bent them on several bad landings to see if I could damage them and they kept working. I picked the P-40 to test because I had a H9 Corsair and this TF P-40 and they fit in both planes with minor modification.

The best thing to do is call Bruce at CJM @ 502-266-9234. I know he has a 10% off sale in effect right now and shipping is free. When I got the P-40 gear about 3 months ago I remember looking at the prices of the CJM and Robart on this gear and I think the CJM were about $30 cheaper. I don't know if that is still true or not.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotating retracts for P40s, Hellcats and Corsairs need to retract 100degrees. There are presently no electrics that do so and are designed for 60-90 size models. Wingspans were designed to do it, but they have proven to fail in a number of ways.

A year or two ago, about when Wingspan showed up, LADO's boss suggested they had 100degree coming out in months. No word on them either.

There are no proven electrics worth putting in your P40. Nor in mine. I have had one ready except for gear since Lado's "suggestion".
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 AM
irocbsa

I don't see why it is so difficult for Lado to do this. A new trunion is the only thing that would be required.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a Top Flite kit-built plane from an estate sale that is thoroughly beat-up. I have to do some repairs and re-covering. I considered fixed landing gear since I had not planned on making a big deal out of this project. But I found this place, PW-RC, from China that sells retracts real cheap, pneumatic and electric. I purchased a set of electric metal trunnion retracts for $30 plus a set of struts for $20. Of course, these only rotate 90-degrees, not 100-degrees like the e-flites. I eye-balled the fitting and it fits. I also have got it working on my bench with the radio. The question is how will this setup last. I know I am pushing my luck, but if it fails, I can always go back to fixed gear.

Last edited by hsukaria; 11-06-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 PM
chistech

I currently have the H9 50sz P40 with the Eflite 46 size 100d rotating retracts in it. They have worked flawlessly and I would personally try them in a sixty size bird. I would put struts on them instead of the wire gear. Just a thought but I still think worth the try. Not sure why Eflite hasn't made them 60 size yet.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by chistech
I currently have the H9 50sz P40 with the Eflite 46 size 100d rotating retracts in it. They have worked flawlessly and I would personally try them in a sixty size bird. I would put struts on them instead of the wire gear. Just a thought but I still think worth the try. Not sure why Eflite hasn't made them 60 size yet.
I agree. I have a set going into a H9 50size Corsair. They seem beefy enough!!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:25 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a set of Century Jet Retracts in a Top Flite kit built 60 size P-40. It was heavy but they worked ok except took some maintaince and mods. However they are only 93 degrees not 100. I had to mount them with a little more forward rake so when retracted they do not go into the wing as far as they should. I put a set of Sierra air retracts in an ESM Hellcat 72" wing span simply because there were no suitable electrics available. They cost a little more than the ESM, Robarts or CMP but I have not been sorry. They have been totally trouble free and reliable. I have Wing Span 85 degree electric gear in a CMP Zero. I had to send the back twice but they seem to be working fine. But they are not rotators. I'm planning one modifying a Top Flite 60 size P-40 ARF into a P-36, since I still have an undamaged cowling. Keeping the CJ retracts simply because there are no electric rotators available. If I didn't already have the CJs I would get Sierras. Also of note, I have some "old" lado 90 degree retracts in a VQ 60 size P-40 and they still work, but needed some mods. to make the heavier duty. I understand the 'new' lados have been changed to make them more heavy duty.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 PM
tevans55

Rbean did you see post 6?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

The FMS1700 size corsair avgs from 11 to 13 lbs., the retracts are $70 and work great,yes $70, are reliable yes, I have three sets.
You want 100 degree , it’s simple, rebuilt the rails to sink lower , then bevel the rails so that when they are extended you get 100 degrees and when retracted you will get some wheel extension out of the well but not much if it’s done correctly.
In hobby King P40 thread many have either dug deeper, angled the rails or simply added wedges to move the rails forward.
You don't have to spend $300 for retracts, there are many in the forums thathave been using electric retracts for over 4 years proven in the field.
There is a new set out for larger P40ties in the range of 15LBs to 30 Lbs. for$179, but I have not tested them yet, still pending more info

Last edited by LDM; 11-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by LDM
The FMS1700 size corsair avgs from 11 to 13 lbs., the retracts are $70 and work great,yes $70, are reliable yes, I have three sets.
You want 100 degree , it’s simple, rebuilt the rails to sink lower , then bevel the rails so that when they are extended you get 100 degrees and when retracted you will get some wheel extension out of the well but not much if it’s done correctly.
In hobby King P40 thread many have either dug deeper, angled the rails or simply added wedges to move the rails forward.
You don't have to spend $300 for retracts, there are many in the forums thathave been using electric retracts for over 4 years proven in the field.
There is a new set out for larger P40ties in the range of 15LBs to 30 Lbs. for$179, but I have not tested them yet, still pending more info
LDM, I also purchased some low-cost electric retracts big enough for my TF P-40 (converted to P-36). I have not used them yet and am new to electric retracts. It would be helpful to me and others including the OP if we could get details on how to modify these cheaper 90 degree retracts to 100 degree travel. Is there an existing thread somewhere detailing this? If not, this thread here would be a good fit, I think.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 AM
LDM

HS,
I will describe the easy way first, it does not involve the retracts it involves the mounting rails.
1)First you have to bevel down the exiting rails on an angle to allow a normal set of rotating retracts to sit on a forward angle when in the extended position.
2) The key is to do the beveling so that you are still getting at least 75% of your wheels in the well , anything more can creatconstant trim adjustments.
3)In essence if you were building a plane from scratch you will be literally building two triangle wedges as close to the base(top surface of the wing sheeting inside) so that your getting good forward rake and good closure with the wheels in the wells.
4)I am on my ipad , its more difficult to post pics but once I get on my lap top I can show you my 79" LX p40, the rotating retracts are 90 degree , yet when extended they appear as 100 degree and the wheel retracts into the well . Its all done with the mounting rails .
5) Now if you want spend money , you can get the Sierra 100 degree air retracts and get the best liner servos money can buy "Firgelli", they are the best and you wont need this nonsense separate board like you do on many of the expensive "newbees" still struggling to get there introductions correct . The Firgelli linear servos are self contained plug and play with normal RC connections but there expensive about $70 a piece .But if you were to convert robarts over , you would need $100 just for the operating board !!!
I have used them on Canopy's, tail retracts and so on , I plan on converting my Sierra over with them and my CG, gear .
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM
LDM

The CJ in post 6 look good , I also found these and they appear to be 100 degree unless it was done at the rails
http://youtu.be/rC7b0eNhdJQ
Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 AM
chistech

Those are the Eflite 25-46sz 100degree rotating retracts I mentioned before. Eflite rates them for 6-10lbs. Mine have worked great and I haven't had a single retract or nose over issue on my h9 50sz P40 flying off of grass. The 100d really make for a nice handling plane. I have a Jemco Hellcat in the cue and my buddy has a skyshark hellcat in the cue, both will be getting these Eflites. The wire is 4mm and robo struts can be added pretty easily.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 PM
LDM

On the far right is the FMS retracts sold in the USA by Motion Rc . A great Veteran run business that sells FMS parts.
The middle is the 1700mm Corsair that uses these retracts and gets it forward rake from the method described earlier.
The big Green P40 is a the LX 79 " bird that has great forward rake from its rails and the wheel go 100% into the wells because the rails were designed in the correct manner.
I hope you can see the wheels ahead of the leading edge on the LX P40 in the pics
The very top left is the stoeck Hobby king retract , it would be made to work like 100degree by adding shims amd makeing the rails beveled down
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair weathering phase one 013.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	1938326   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1938327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobby King P40 Retracts 002.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1938329   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK P40 1 003.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1938330  
Attached Images  

Last edited by LDM; 11-11-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 AM
SkyPilot101

LDM, what model no. On the Firgelli,s fit 60 size Seiarra retracts ?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:08 AM
LDM

They have the two versions, the one that is out and available now is the L12 , the new one that is even smaller is the L16 .
Email Ian , he is an RC guy and uses them in his RC UAVs for retract the gear legs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.