Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar9 Mk IXc 30CC and Electric Also!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar9 Mk IXc 30CC and Electric Also!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:55 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Hangar9 Mk IXc 30CC and Electric Also!

Hi guys,

Hangar9 just announced the new Warbird and its a fantastic Spitfire Mk IXc 30CC with easy option for Electric using E-Flite 160 and 10S, 5,000mAH Lithium Polymers!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...cc-arf-HAN4495

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trtT8vywdDg#t=90 Per the manual for Electric Section:

Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that they are not recommending pneumatic retracts for this plane. Only Eflite Electrics.

Oriole
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course they are. Horizon makes more profit if you buy the E-Flites.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM
oriole

Yes, I get that. But wonder if the market will follow (at least near term) until the quality / reliability matures.

Oriole
Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Heysooz Cristay they are asking an arm and leg for that puppy.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:55 AM
vik
My Feedback: (1)

I have to say I really like it.
For ARF it looks great.
There are obviously some issues like flaps, tailwheel, cowl fitment etc.
I had collected all parts for BT Spit already so this one is too late for me.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by vik
I have to say I really like it.
For ARF it looks great.
There are obviously some issues like flaps, tailwheel, cowl fitment etc.
I had collected all parts for BT Spit already so this one is too late for me.
I've built the BT spit. very sweet plane. sorry i sold mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7604.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1949544  

Last edited by Thunderbolt47; 12-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Thunderbolt47

This plane looks great! Horizon has done their home work.

As I've never used them, I would like to ask this about electric retracts. I've never heard anyone else express this, so I'm just curious. Air never gives up. (up to a point) I've heard the electrics will stop if they encounter any resistence,ie: binding. With air, as presure from the tank fills the cylinder it is always getting stronger. It maybe that last few psi's that gets them down and allows me to make a wheel landing vs a belly landing. I know air doesn't alway get them down but it seems like air gives you a better chance.

Is my thinking correct?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:38 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

This is actually a very nice looking Spitfire.
The proportions look very nice to my eyes and with a scale tail wheel would be very welcome in my hangar.

Well done Hanger 9!!!!!!!!

Brad
Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 AM
nirtza79

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt47
This plane looks great! Horizon has done their home work.

As I've never used them, I would like to ask this about electric retracts. I've never heard anyone else express this, so I'm just curious. Air never gives up. (up to a point) I've heard the electrics will stop if they encounter any resistence,ie: binding. With air, as presure from the tank fills the cylinder it is always getting stronger. It maybe that last few psi's that gets them down and allows me to make a wheel landing vs a belly landing. I know air doesn't alway get them down but it seems like air gives you a better chance.

Is my thinking correct?
Hi Thunderbolt47,
I am no expert but I have the E-Flite 60-1.20 retracts on H-9 60 size spitfire for a season now, 33 flights and until now they worked every time, just my own experience...
Old 12-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This one looks pretty good! I think I am going to preorder. Although I did up the FW 190 in electric the cost of batteries is stupid high. The 33cc engine looks like a nice little package and clean install. Agreed on the tail wheel - it needs some work otherwise looks O.K. A larger Spitty will likely handle grass fields better as the bird is notorious for ending up on its nose. My ESM 72 Spit cannot be flown off of anything but perfectly groomed grass. On pavement its O.K. I also use a gyro on my Spits as it make takes off a bit less dramatic. As for electric retracts, I have used them for years now and they have really, really improved a lot. I have Robarts converted on the FW190 and they work perfectly. I have electric on the turbine jets that I fly.

D.W.
Spitfire brotherhood #4
Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 AM
alanc

Another Spitfire? does no-one have any imagination? and thats one THICK wing!!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Capt G

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

A bit too much dihedral (couldn't resist).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6357-1.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	1949738  
Old 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Thunderbolt47

thanks for the comments on the electric gear. But I wasn't asking about the reliability, I was asking about is if it encountered any binding on the way down. would it just give up and say oops ican't come down.whereas air keeps trying and never gives up.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

During the building process it is really important to ensure that the gear goes up and down smoothly with no binding. This holds true for either air or electric. If for some reason the gear gets jammed, the electric gear will keep going until it hits the maximum amp out setting and, correct, it stops. Air systems will keep increasing pressure to the maximum that is within the system say 80 -100 psi. My experience is if a gear is really stuck it takes a lot more force to get them down than either system is capable of providing. The times I have seen this are on a botched take off where the gear has taken a beating and the struts are bent causing the wheels to jam in the wheel well. The most common problem with air are leaks, sudden air loss due to connections coming apart and pinched lines. Electrics have issues too from dirt on the worm drives to amplifiers burning up. I am really picky about my retract installs and have had very, very few failures in the 20 plus years of use. Electrics do make for a cleaner and simpler installation and they keep getting better. A lot of jet guys still use air because the gear is heavy and demanding on small electric motors / actuators. Having said that, more and more are converting over on jets that are mid size ( up to 28 lbs in weight ). The small light weight stuff we are talking about in general sport flying ( aircraft to 20 lbs ) is no longer an issue for good quality electric gear.

As a final note I have Robart electric converted on my Top Flight 1/5 FW 190. Electrics on all my FMS 1700 warbirds, H9 .50 Corsair, CARF Models Tutor turbine jet, CARF Models Viper and my recently sold CARF Models Flash sport jet. I have experienced no failures in these aircraft.

D. Wichmann
Old 12-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I'll buy this one and pocket the difference for some new decals and a new motor... LoL

http://thewingsmaker.com/airplane_de...?name=Spitfire 160
Old 12-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
I'll buy this one and pocket the difference for some new decals and a new motor... LoL

http://thewingsmaker.com/airplane_de...?name=Spitfire 160
Not even in the same class in my opinion. I like a bit more scale fidelity which the Hangar 9 provides. However, I still think the ESM is the most accurate ARF Spit currently to be had.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM
kochj

Originally Posted by alanc
Another Spitfire? does no-one have any imagination? and thats one THICK wing!!
It looks good...but I agree....
TF comes out with a b-25 mitch, and H9 comes out with a Mitch.... (there normal slightly smaller than topflite stuff)
Topflite=corsair...H9=corsair.... I believe it was the same with the p-51 mustang.... same deal....
Oops...I didn't even add the Esm corsair, and spitfire.... And Aeroworks mustang... with some dif. schemes...

Thank goodness, there is the ESM Me109, and the TOpflite FW190.. These are actually rare comparitive to size.
Now that TOPflite got rid of there B-25....there is only the ESM now, and the bf-110 twin.... Than is it...though for large twins....
what a shame...

I have found that a RC spitfire can look quite different when you get all those little details on it....
The Topflite and now the H9 look really close IMHO...
I watched a full scale supermarine and it looks not much different.....

The H9 spitefire looks good, because of the pannel lines, and all the colors added to it.... If it was just paint only, it would not look any different than the other spitfires out there..

Last edited by kochj; 12-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Katniss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kochj.....hangar 9 came out with their b-25 first
Old 12-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Thunderbolt47

Originally Posted by Helijet
During the building process it is really important to ensure that the gear goes up and down smoothly with no binding. This holds true for either air or electric. If for some reason the gear gets jammed, the electric gear will keep going until it hits the maximum amp out setting and, correct, it stops. Air systems will keep increasing pressure to the maximum that is within the system say 80 -100 psi. My experience is if a gear is really stuck it takes a lot more force to get them down than either system is capable of providing. The times I have seen this are on a botched take off where the gear has taken a beating and the struts are bent causing the wheels to jam in the wheel well. The most common problem with air are leaks, sudden air loss due to connections coming apart and pinched lines. Electrics have issues too from dirt on the worm drives to amplifiers burning up. I am really picky about my retract installs and have had very, very few failures in the 20 plus years of use. Electrics do make for a cleaner and simpler installation and they keep getting better. A lot of jet guys still use air because the gear is heavy and demanding on small electric motors / actuators. Having said that, more and more are converting over on jets that are mid size ( up to 28 lbs in weight ). The small light weight stuff we are talking about in general sport flying ( aircraft to 20 lbs ) is no longer an issue for good quality electric gear.

As a final note I have Robart electric converted on my Top Flight 1/5 FW 190. Electrics on all my FMS 1700 warbirds, H9 .50 Corsair, CARF Models Tutor turbine jet, CARF Models Viper and my recently sold CARF Models Flash sport jet. I have experienced no failures in these aircraft.

D. Wichmann

Good info. I too very seldom have gear issues. Just curious is all. As I've seen others flip and flop around and they do sometimes get them down when Lightly binded for what ever reason. I wonder would electric give you this option.

I've been running air for a long time. No need to change now.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:23 PM
kochj

Originally Posted by Katniss
Kochj.....hangar 9 came out with their b-25 first
Right on.
I do remember a small article in MAN, that showed Greg H. with the b-25 Prototype (carrying it) 2-years before it was released...so the secret was out.... either way... it doesn't matter...
I realize these planes typically take a few years to get all ready to start manufacturing.
I would hope that H9 & TopFlite are NOT trying to release same planes as the other one, around the SAME time... That would be FOOLISH IMHO...
The b-25 is a good 1st twin due to the stability of a twin tail... I didn't mind 2-b25's as they were different sizes, and there is ALWAYS room for NICE ARF twins....
I for one, was sorry to see the p-47 RAZOR back 30cc that H9 one made... The bubble canopy was also really nice.... I wish I would have picked one up when they were selling them at closeout...

Not wanting to rain on the parade.... or derail the main plot...here... sorry about that....

Last edited by kochj; 12-26-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:54 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

kochj,

I agree, intentionally releasing the same subject at the same time is not optimal for either company. Whenever that has happened it has only been by pure coincidence.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Thai Tiger

I have one on order already, looking forward to it.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thai Tiger,

Awesome! Keep us updated, especially when you start the project!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM
oriole

Dave Eichstedt (or anyone from Horizon),

What struts are recommended for this spitty? It looks like struts do not come with the recommended eflite retracts. And I could not find a part # reference in the manual.

Thank you,

Oriole

Last edited by oriole; 01-19-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.