RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-51 Mustang Brotherhood

Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 PM
sjhanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Hanger 9 P 51 D flies NOTHING like the Top Flite Mustang. It is a better airframe in every respect except for the wing tube fit on SOME of the delivered models. Both of mine needed surgery on the wing tubes. My brother's plane had the same issue but Horizon sent him a good center section. You can force the H 9 Mustang to stall, but it is a gentle break that is easy to recover from. To get mine to stall I slow it down, hold up elevator while reducing power, when it is almost stopped, it will drop the left wing tip and begin to turn. Recovery is instant as soon as the up elevator is let go. On a landing approach stall (Top Flite Mustangs are famous for their roll over and dive in) the H 9 plane will lower its nose and descend until power is added, then I can continue the approach to landing. The H 9 Mustang does not have an accelerated stall out of a high speed turn like the TF Mustang does. Just pull it as hard as you want until you are tired of that. I only use the recommended control surface travel for High rate, low rate is not needed. Another thing it does that the TF plane can't touch is the dead stick glide, be careful, it will glide right past the runway.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Springbok Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,

Seems like this is where all the P-51 fundi gathers. I am flying a CARF P-51 and would like to check where others have the C of G on this model. I am also interested in hearing what flap settings you are using.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Jan
Old 09-16-2017, 03:32 AM
Plano78

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello friends, put off getting a P-51 since everyone has one. A fine gentle old friend use to pester the heck out of me to get one and when he passed I decided to get a TF and make it a tribute to him. Good friend did the building for me (I'm a rubbish builder) and "Art's Revenge" was born. Truly a fine bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-51 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	2232144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolling.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	814.0 KB
ID:	2232145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Art's Revenge P-51 Maiden.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	2232146  
Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 AM
hairy46

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Beautiful job

The Mustangs are on rail's when they fly, I have eleven of the counting the two strega's. My first Warbird was a forty sized ARF Hangar 9, still have and its one just love to take everywhere. Just love Warbirds!
Old 11-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Lil Hoss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a question gentleman.......
I also have many Mustangs. My latest project is the ESM Miss America 71" WS
Even though I am not pleased with this model I still think if may be a good flyier.
My question is I went to balance it and it as asking for 22 ounces of nose weight.
I have never had a model ask for that much weight before.
Has anyone else built the ESM P51 D model??? And what amount of weight did they use to balance it??
The directions ask for a 137MM CG point. After much reading it is too far back. I am trying to balance it at 128MM
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT
Thanks guys
Hoss
Old 11-10-2017, 06:31 AM
carter724

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a few EMS models as well and I have had the same issues with having to add weight. Everyone I have built needs weight. Use their CG point and add enough weight to make it just a tad nose heavy. Warbirds like to be a tad nose heavy
Old 11-10-2017, 08:32 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Warbirds like to be a tad nose heavy
Especially the Top Flight ARF! It's snap happy if you fly high rates, making it nose light just adds to that fun.

Search this Thread