Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-51 Mustang Brotherhood

Old 11-04-2019, 05:58 PM
jet jocky97

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

picked up a new hanger 9 P-51 20cc. and have a couple of flites on it. currently have a DKE 20RA in her for power. She fly's ok. but was thinking of replace the DLE 20cc with a DLE 30cc. what are y'alls thoughts?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:15 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jet jocky97 View Post
picked up a new hanger 9 P-51 20cc. and have a couple of flites on it. currently have a DKE 20RA in her for power. She fly's ok. but was thinking of replace the DLE 20cc with a DLE 30cc. what are y'alls thoughts?
To misquote a friend, "Nothing exceeds like excess"

He said that when I hung a .32ABC on the nose of my first HOB .19 sized P-51. It went like scat.

Somewhere there are photos of me flying off the wing of BB Weber and his B-17. Fun times.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:46 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey everybody. Keep in mind there is no one acting as a Keeper of the Brotherhood numbers. It's a do it yourself sign-up. Just take the last number on the list and add your name in and post it in perpitude!
1. lancairmustang
2. chris923
3. ccostant
4. trent smith
5. eric_monster
6. acdii
7. ctshepherd
8. Antares100
9. tejician1
10. dphillips3
11. foodstick
12. MarvinLoomis
13. instructor
14. oldtimer4759
15. rc34074
16. jtotten
17. tim5713
18. gesmale
19. steve_s-rcu
20. Mesaman
21. Wildman
22. rglgatortail
23. karl Hibbs
24. leroy gardner
25. brocketman
26. ralphwhite
27. lightining 759
28. cafeen man
29. f16man
30. Steve Landon
31. WI53072
32. M_Callahan
33. Hinckley Bill
34. Quickturn
35. Sparky4lawndart
36. Cub_Boy
37. AMA74894
38. jmohn
39. gixxerjack
40. prop wash
41. golfandfly
42. bdoxey
43. GIVdriver
44. 70 ragtop
45. rc74
46. Sonofasailor
47. John Taylor
48. Luft-Gangster
49. Muatang1971
50. goandfly
51. Fly2XS
52. ghsmith
53. Jim Branaum
54. stang151
55. Valve floater
56. Stangflyer
57. p510851
58. speed 20
59. dfmustang
60. Greg Wright
61. Duayne P
62. CRJDriver
63. DENTO
64. Erik R
65. dwaynenancy
66. Tuskegee
67. ThunderBoat42
68. mrshea
69. Avaiojet
70. r/coldie
71. bobbydee
72. 2001az
73. Ben Blest
74. Jeff Spicolli
75. AC2
76. Bob Paris
77. mikedj

78. rickman2k
79. GSXR1000
80. av8ter
81. JDjetjock
82. Bigstew60
83. Instructor
84. simple
85.stingray528i
86.tahustvedt
hipik634
88. szempruw

89. jescardin
151. Taken
158. Taken
200. Taken

As I am restoring a large Kyosho P-51D I expect to remaiden before end of the year, I take #89 as first number available after "szempruw" and add my brotherhood membership to my RC Universe firm.
Photos will be added when work on the P-51D are more advanced.
Best Regards
Old 11-08-2019, 08:38 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1/4 scale gunsight N-3B designed for P-51B Mustang.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 AM
erwabo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Topflite new P-51 build

So, with the generation of builders getting older and the availability of balsa kits dwindling, I decided that I wanted to do a nice build with a TopFlight 1/5 Scale Mustang P-51D while I can still get one. I'd really like to do it right, I found some resources on exhaust manifolds, sliding canopy and there are manufactures for landing gear (seems Sierra is best) though I like the scale of electric gear speed and the door sequencers, not sure the same can be achieved with air. Lines eventually leak but I have heard lots of mixed reviews on Robarts electric retracts. That being said the sliding canopy and gear doors seems to be the least amount of available knowledge on how that has been done. I see Hangar 9 has a 1/5 scale ARF. Any chance those parts MIGHT work with the TF 1/5 scale? Specifically the gear doors and the rails for the canopy slide....or the entire canopy itself, which looks quite nice.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2019, 11:35 AM
sjhanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is little that is inter-changeable between the TF and H9 Mustangs. Retraction speed for full scale Mustangs is about 3 seconds for the wheels to hit the wells, a little longer for the doors to close. I used battery voltages from 4.8 to 10 volts to operate the Robart electrics, the actual cycle speed is between 9.5 to 10 seconds, air is much faster and you don't have a hung gear draining the receiver battery. I use 8-32 machine screw nuts to retain the air lines on the nipples. Tie the air lines down and insulate them with spiral split fuel line to keep the lines from rubbing hard parts inside the plane. For long runs I use spark plug cable insulation from auto parts stores. Tie wrap everything down and you won't have leaks. H9 recommends using servos to drive the gear doors, if you do that provide separate battery power. Prop blast will force the doors to open partially in flight, a servo under this much strain pulls 5 amps, it will fail quickly. Driving the gear doors from the door's trailing edge like the instructions say is asking them to blow them off in flight. I use Robart air cylinders to drive mine at the door's leading edge, just like full scale Mustangs do.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:11 PM
erwabo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks! Your planes look amazing. So did you just build all your retract doors? Do you have servo driven canopy? What did you use for your aluminum covering? Would you recommend electric or air retracts?
Old 11-11-2019, 03:14 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got to crawl over this sweet heart over the weekend.....
Old 11-11-2019, 04:30 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Much harder to do on the .60 size one. Still under construction, but have a working setup at least.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:57 AM
sjhanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I cut air-ply panels to fit the holes, when I have it all working correctly I glue balsa sheet to the panels, then sand to the airfoil. When ready for glass application I use Saran wrap to cover the openings, re-install the panels and apply the glass and resin. After the resin cures a hot knife following the panel outlines cuts them free, also chasing the screw holes. The brushed aluminum is available direct from Hanger 9. You can use the brushed aluminum along with chrome to give the different grain and polished effect. I used a picture of the actual plane for ideas. Some of the engine panels can only be simulated by using actual metal duct tape, it looks like the stainless panels the real plane has covering the area around the engine exhaust, and a sharpened brass tube press into the metal tape gives the illusion of the dzus fasteners securing the panels to the airframe, A small screw driver pressed into the circles simulates the dzus fastener's screw driver slots.

I tried air AND electric on several planes, the electrics with their slow cycle speed worked best on the TF p-47 razorback, the electric's slow cycle speed interfered with the main wheel doors that the P-51 has. I did get them to work after a lot of fiddling around, on the work bench, at least, under prop-blast conditions it all had to be reworked. I ended up yanking the electrics to replace them with air powered gear, much easier to get the right timing using a Jomar gear door cycle controller. (I haven't been able to find the Jomar to be available anymore) I tried door sequencers by several different sources, the ones from H K were dead on arrival, one from another supplier would continuously open and close the doors, and never worked at all to operate the main gear. The answer seems to be to buy the expensive sequencers that the JET guys use. I have been using the one Jomar sequencer for 15 years and 4 or 5 models.

My brother has the E-flite electric gear in his H 9 Mustang, they work well on the bench, but he hasn't flown it yet. I read numerous reports that complain about the E-flite gear jamming in the air. The only solution seems to be flying the plane very slowly until the gear have completed the cycle, both up and down. They use very tiny electric motors that over-amp under prop-blast conditions. The Robart electrics were better in that respect, but I had a failure of the screw threads pulling out of the worm drive parts, which I fixed by making my own parts from mild steel rod from hardware stores. Making these parts is simple and easy to do, I was in a hurry to fly or I could have gotten new parts from Robart. I reasoned that if the original parts were that bad, I could use better metal and make my own. The plane I did this too, I sold, and is still flying with my parts. It speaks to the poor quality metal used by the manufacturer when MILD steel is better.

The hanger 9 Mustang I sold had Robart air installed and it worked reliably until he had a throttle servo failure and landed in a tree.(about 60 flights). He, or the original buyer changed the air cylinders out and replaced them with servos for the main doors. I noticed the doors hanging open when he flew it. I didn't give him my only Jomar controller so I don't know what he used instead.

What ever you decide to use, have some friends hold the plane off the ground and test the gear for proper operation under take-off power prop BLAST conditions. If they don't work properly, you have work to do. The original D model Mustangs lost wings and killed people when the doors opened at speeds higher than 150 mph. The cause was traced to changes made when they changed from the B model wing to the D. The solution was going back to the B model system, and keeping the hydraulic pump ON.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:36 PM
Mr.Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello

a lot of Beautyfull Mustangs!

i hope you can add me here

i have one of the last Fiberclassic B Mustangs from Uwe Henn

He died unfortunately on a Brainkolaps

He say me i must build the Mustang well

I try it

Engine are a Kolm IL 200
Exhaust are real Left and Right

grettings Fred Switzerland

here are the Result

Last edited by Mr.Stang; 11-17-2019 at 01:41 PM.