Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Guys,
I need a set (or three sets really) of 14x7x3 props with one counter rotating (for 20cc gas engines). Can anyone direct me to a source for these props.

I just was delivered a P-38 ARF from James Fraser of JB hobbies. The model arrived with the best packing I have ever seen (three outer boxes) for an ARF model and it had no damage. I have two DLE20RA cc gas engines (one engine counter rotating) going into the model. Two other gentlemen have built and flown the model with these engines and said it was a good match, and with a vertical presentation that has to be seen to be believed. It has a full set of gear doors, electric retracts and painted with WWII invasion stripes, over a olive green base color. This is my second VQ P-38J and it is very scale. They cleaned up the wing flap attachment that was such a hassle on the first addition kit issue too and this takes out the hassle of connecting the flaps (by the way...all four flaps are full fowler style). The quality control looks good and James at JB Hobbies was a sweet heart to deal with.

I built a 90" Nitro Plane P-38 with two K&B .61 Twisters for power and it came out to 18 #'s ready to fly. I had to install two Perry oscillating pumps to get the fuel to the engines and with the fuel tanks so low...and the engines so high...it was the only way to go for these engines. It has removable stab and the whole model breaks down so It will fit into my VW van. It takes a bit to put it together at the field, for it has six parts to assemble and dozens of servo connections. It also has a set of Spring Down retracts installed and onboard glow.

I pondered the larger model P-38 that you gentlemen are bailding but by the time it is ready to fly...you have close to $4k into the model this way...I have a P-38 in the air with gas engines under $2K. And I have a ton of spare parts from my first kit.

I also built a really cool P-38 stand to assemble the model and run the engines at the field. Its cool and works like a charm.

This wil be my fifth P-38 I have built and flown.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 10-29-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:52 AM
zrooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay Guys,
I need a set (or three sets really) of 14x7x3 props with one counter rotating (for 20cc gas engines). Can anyone direct me to a source for these props.

I just was delivered a P-38 ARF from James Fraser of JB hobbies. The model arrived with the best packing I have ever seen (three outer boxes) for an ARF model and it had no damage. I have two DLE20RA cc gas engines (one engine counter rotating) going into the model. Two other gentlemen have built and flown the model with these engines and said it was a good match, and with a vertical presentation that has to be seen to be believed. It has a full set of gear doors, electric retracts and painted with WWII invasion stripes, over a olive green base color. This is my second VQ P-38J and it is very scale. They cleaned up the wing flap attachment that was such a hassle on the first addition kit issue too and this takes out the hassle of connecting the flaps (by the way...all four flaps are full fowler style). The quality control looks good and James at JB Hobbies was a sweet heart to deal with.

I built a 90" Nitro Plane P-38 with two K&B .61 Twisters for power and it came out to 18 #'s ready to fly. I had to install two Perry oscillating pumps to get the fuel to the engines and with the full tanks so low...and the engines so high...it was the only way to go for these engines. It has removable stab and the whole model breaks down so It will fit into my VW van. It takes a bit to put it together at the field, for it has six parts to assemble and dozens of servo connections. It also has a set of Spring Down retracts installed and onboard glow.

I pondered the larger model P-38 that you gentlemen are bailing but by the time it is ready to fly...you have close to $4k into the model this way...I have a P-38 in the air with gas engines under $2K. And I have a ton of spare parts from my first kit.

I also built a really cool P-38 stand to assemble the model and run the engines at the field. It cool and works like a charm.

This wil be my fifth P-38 I have built and flown.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
I'm estimating $470 for the full Ziroli kit from national balsa, $1100 for the Sierra retracts, $250 for wheels, $1200 for a pair of DA50s (up to $2200 if I spring for a pair of Kolm 50s), $150 for an engine synchronizer, $180 for props, $400 for servos, $280 for various fiberglass parts, probably $200 for a pair of fiberglass booms (if they ever become available), $150 for a scale cockpit, $100 for a pilot, $160 for a smartfly (or more, depending on the model), $100 or so for the receiver...that's $4740 not including: fuel tanks, tubing, fiberglass (will glass all surfaces), hardware, linkages, paint, decals and sundry building materials. Looking at well north of $5000 all told...over $6000 if I go with the Kolms...

So, yes, you're getting a bargain
Old 10-29-2016, 10:29 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Bob Paris;12271930]Hay Guys,

Here's a couple links to Master Airscrew 14x7x3 CW and CCW http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAPX4&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAA40&P=7
Old 10-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Zinger will make a set for you. I had 18x10 3 blades made in both regular tractor and pusher configs.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Bob Paris

Hay 70 ragtop,
Thank you for your help...I just ordered three sets of props. I am also ordering two metal spinners for my P-38. I had a plastic spinner explode on start up and if I didn't have glasses on...I may have been blinded.

Hay zrooster,
I planned on using a pair of PTE 36's I had on hand for the model...and just build as light as I could and go simi-scale. No cockpit, or other really scale stuff like you pro's build. I do love to build...but we have only one flying field on Maui...and it is really not worth it to build a model that complex with all the goodies and see it end up in a pile of balsa. Our winds are crazy here...and our runway 600 ft long with barriers (WWII resentments on the approach end). I felt by using the gear I have on hand...with a full kit...I could get it built for near $4K...maybe. Your right...it is not a cheap kit to build that is why I called James and ordered the VQ P-38.

Thanks guys for all your help...and when I start the build...I will do it here in this column.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 10-31-2016, 05:24 PM
zrooster

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay 70 ragtop,
Thank you for your help...I just ordered three sets of props. I am also ordering two metal spinners for my P-38. I had a plastic spinner explode on start up and if I didn't have glasses on...I may have been blinded.

Hay zrooster,
I planned on using a pair of PTE 36's I had on hand for the model...and just build as light as I could and go simi-scale. No cockpit, or other really scale stuff like you pro's build. I do love to build...but we have only one flying field on Maui...and it is really not worth it to build a model that complex with all the goodies and see it end up in a pile of balsa. Our winds are crazy here...and our runway 600 ft long with barriers (WWII resentments on the approach end). I felt by using the gear I have on hand...with a full kit...I could get it built for near $4K...maybe. Your right...it is not a cheap kit to build that is why I called James and ordered the VQ P-38.

Thanks guys for all your help...and when I start the build...I will do it here in this column.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Makes sense to me! Right now we're just talking aspirations on my part. I just received the plans, and opened the tube! Step one done. Only 249,999 to go!

This is my grand project, and likely the only one I'll do on this scale (to this extent, that is).

Good luck on yours...you'll probably have yours flying before I get two sticks glued together!
Old 11-02-2016, 01:00 PM
simple
My Feedback: (9)

Its a Rocket Car!!!

Hey, I thought you guys may like to see this.
Its a Rocket Car - I used this way back in the day for airshows with the TRCC Show Team.

This is a short shot on a short grass field, (not a runway) so things fail and that makes for a crazy ride!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCR3F-NU5r0

<iframe width="400" height="225" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xCR3F-NU5r0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3064.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2188642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3040.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2188643  
Old 11-02-2016, 07:30 PM
simple
My Feedback: (9)

Default P-38 Death Dealer & Pacific Aviation Museum

I am posting this in my groups & for the forum thread.

The P-38 Death Dealer was
proudly displayed last week at this years Pacific Aviation Museum and Warbirds West Airshow along with the Thunderbirds at the "Wings, Wheels and Rotors" event in Longbeach Ca.

Pacific Aviation Musium Members from Pearl Harbor's Ford Island Museum were on hand to work with the youngsters on how the future of aviation is being molded by technology advancements "While" preserving the history & sacrifices our men and woman made and continue to make in active service.

Kenneth "Ken" DeHoff (Director of the Pacific Aviation Museum) worked tirelessly with the 30k plus crowd as they patrolled through the display area behind the flight lines shared with the Thunderbirds.

What an amazing event that was made possible by the tireless efforts of Michael Fetyko of Warbirds West scale flying team. His efforts working with upper echelon military brass ensured the history of aviation and the stories of the people who were there are remembered at these historic events.

Pictured is the P-38 on display with its working ground crew and battle damage from Iwo Jima.

Also Pictured is Ken form Pacific Aviation museum working with the flyers of tomorrow. If you are ever looking up history on Pearl Harbor don't forget to visit the Pacific Aviation museum on Ford Island. www.pacificaviationmuseum.org

Oh Yah! and the Thunderbirds parked at night next to our tent!! (bad photo sorry it was raining that night)

We are working on a new show for 2017

R.I.P. - R.A. Bob Hoover

Name:	IMG_2918.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2188667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	2188668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2927.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2188669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2929.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2188670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2938.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	2188672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2983.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2188673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunderbirds.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	2188674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1957.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2188675  

Last edited by simple; 11-07-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:04 AM
zrooster

Originally Posted by simple
I am posting this in my groups & for the forum thread.

The P-38 Death Dealer was
proudly displayed last week at this years Pacific Aviation Museum and Warbirds West Airshow along with the Thunderbirds at the "Wings, Wheels and Rotors" event in Longbeach Ca.

Pacific Aviation Musium Members from Pearl Harbor's Ford Island Museum were on hand to work with the youngsters on how the future of aviation is being molded by technology advancements "While" preserving the history & sacrifices our men and woman made and continue to make in active service.

Kenneth "Ken" DeHoff (Director of the Pacific Aviation Museum) worked tirelessly with the 30k plus crowd as they patrolled through the display area behind the flight lines shared with the Thunderbirds.

What an amazing event that only made possible by the tireless efforts of Michael Fetyko of Warbirds West scale flying team. His efforts working with upper echelon military brass ensured the history of aviation and the stories of the people who were there are remembered at these historic events.

Pictured is the P-38 on display with its working ground crew and battle damage from Iwo Jima.

Also Pictured is Ken form Pacific Aviation museum working with the flyers of tomorrow. If you are ever looking up history on Pearl Harbor don't forget to visit the Pacific Aviation museum on Ford Island. www.pacificaviationmuseum.org

Oh Yah! and the Thunderbirds parked at night next to our tent!! (bad photo sorry it was raining that night)

We are working on a new show for 2017

R.I.P. - R.A. Bob Hoover
WOW! Beautiful P-38!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:18 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I worked hard last winter to build Fowler flaps for my ole heavy-landing CBA-38

DA helped me get the counter-rotating engines perfectly tuned and I finally found some 20-12 Xoar props that are perfect for the DA-50's

Sadly, I have not been able to take advantage of some of the fabulous fall weather lately because of an illness in the family

She's Ready to Go!

I promise to post video no matter how she "goes!"

Name:	IMG_3240.JPG
Views:	1392
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2188810  
Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 PM
stsguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Royal p38 kit

Hey folks i hope it is ok to mention have a royal-kit that needs a home
you can send me a pm if so. Its a builders kit the box has wear but its complete with 2 sets of plans and 2 builders guides
Thank you Joe
Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 AM
david68
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Kram. I to am finishing up my CBA p38. It has not flown yet even thoe ive had it for many years. I just finished putting DA 50s in place of the old A&M 3.2 engines. Also I added flaps but just did conventional flaps. Perhaps upgrade to fowler flaps some day. I was wondering what you did for mufflers on yours. This is my last piece to the puzzle. I may need Jtec to custom some for me. Also im hoping the 50s are enough power. Plane is a little under 50 lbs. Goal was to fly at the Nall this year but only if we can have several susesful test flight ahead of time.

Dave
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Pull-Up!
My Feedback: (4)

Bill at Slimline just built me a set of Pitts style mufflers for my DA50 powered Yellow P-38. They are small and totally fit inside the cowl, but they are a bit noisy. He made drawings so they should be easy to duplicate. $400 for the pair.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM
kram

Name:	IMG_2963.JPG
Views:	1213
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2203053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2964.JPG
Views:	1156
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2203054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2965.JPG
Views:	1177
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2203055  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Pull-Up!
My Feedback: (4)

Here are some pics of the installation. Engines tuned and Microsync Pro dialed in. Maiden in a couple weeks!

Name:	IMG_1805.JPG
Views:	1156
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2203056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.JPG
Views:	1147
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2203057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1807.JPG
Views:	1256
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2203058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.JPG
Views:	1176
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2203059  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM
kram

Dave:

You can see from these re-plumbing shots I took last fall whoever installed the DA-50's in mine carved out some of the bottom firewall to give room for what I think is a standard DA Pitts-style muffler

It works well comes apart easily when needed

Plane flies very well at 50+ lbs on these engines: not a screamer but you don't want it to be

Jeff's flies very nicely on G-62's with similar 3 B props: about the same power
Old 02-27-2017, 03:36 AM
david68

Thank you Kram and pull-up. Looks like I will follow similar muffler installation. Kram, its nice to know it flys well with the 50s. Im not looking for a screamer either, just hoping it isn't a struggle to stay in the sky.

Dave
Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 PM
flyingpiggy

Hi Bob
Can you please post photo of your P38 stand

Regards
David Read
Old 02-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Bob Paris

Dear David,
If you can wait a couple of days I will. I am on my way home tomorrow and will arrive back in Maui on March 2nd. It will fit any P-38 and worked on my 90" and 84" P-38's. You can retract your landing gear or start your engines on the stand and supports the engine nacelles and wing, up against the pilot pod.
Bob

Last edited by Bob Paris; 02-27-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:00 AM
Bob Paris

Flyingpiggy,
I found the pictures you wanted-not all, but this will give you an idea of what I built. If you need more...when I am home, I will give you more with dimensions. The foam is missing from the stand that the model rested on, but the first picture is the full stand, the other pictures are missing the aft engine fuselage support.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Images        

Last edited by Bob Paris; 02-28-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:04 PM
kram

David68:

Not at all a struggle to stay in the air.

Landing has been an issue, however. It falls like a manhole cover below what I estimate to be 35-40 mph: much faster than all my other 38's

I hope the addition of four Fowlers will tame it, but I can't vouch for that personally

Jeff's comes in smooth and soft with 4 Fowlers, but he's a lot better pilot than I am

You need at least 600 ft of grass runway with clear approaches to get 'er up and down safely

Mark
Old 02-28-2017, 04:25 PM
david68

Thanks Kram. I also need to ask about balancing. Somewhere I have an old vcr tape from CBA showing a few construction details and balancing. I cant place my fingers on the tape plus i no longer have a vcr. If i remember correctly, they assembled the plane but left the wing tips off. Then they slid a pipe into each wing tube socket with about 12 inches hanging out of the tubes. They then set the tubes on jack stands to balance. With the gear up it rotated slightly nose heavy. With the gear down it got even more nose heavy. Does this seem correct?

Dave
Old 02-28-2017, 04:30 PM
david68

Kram, I also have flaps but I got lazy and made 4 standard split flaps instead of fowlers. My theory was if the plane survives some flights, i could upgrade to fowlers. Maybe mine will land more like a composit manhole cover instead of a cast iron one. Lol.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:53 PM
flyingpiggy

Hi Bob
Thanks for the pictures - looks good!

Regards
Dave Read
from the other end of the Pacific
Old 03-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Zeppelin1275

Name:	IMG_4087.JPG
Views:	1197
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	2203562  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.