Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Bf-109 Engine Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Bf-109 Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 11:15 AM
svanvalkenburg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bf-109 Engine Question

I would like to draw on your collective experience for this one. Getting back into hobby, and have a nice Me-109 ARF from somewhere, can’t remember where, and the instructions don’t identify the manufacturer. Here is what I can tell you about it:
  • Definitely Chinese (weird terminology and it’s got the swastika – hooray for historical accuracy!)
  • Glass fuse, covered wings/tail
  • 6’ wingspan
  • Flying weight 13lbs (allegedly)
  • Electric retracts w/sequencer (cool, but a little more weight?)
  • Calls for a 120 4-stroke
So, I already have the 4-stroke but want to change to gas. According to my research, the comparable gasser is 20cc.
*Note, my preference has always been to add engine rather than lead for tail-heavy warbirds (insert Tim Allen grunts), because you can still fly scale with less throttle.
So, what do you all think? Go a little bigger? Recommendations for engine size and brands most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 12-29-2023, 05:16 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it might be the CMPro Bf-109F kit? or the ESM Bf-109E kit.

Best to work out which kit it is first and then work out what engine suits. post some pictures of what you have and it should be pretty quickly identifiable. There is a thread dedicated to eac kit here. I have almost finished the Cmpro one, and have gone with a 26cc engine. What I gleaned from the thread was that it will fly ok with a 20cc engine, but a 30cc was too much so I went with the RCGF 26cc RE, Its one of the very few beam mount gassers, and the model comes ready for beam mounts.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:53 AM
svanvalkenburg

Thanks for the response!
I checked them out and it's definitely neither of those kits, although the CMP appears to be very close in size and weight, which verified my suspicion that a little more engine would be preferred. That RCGF 26cc gasser looks really good and reasonably priced - might go with that once it's back in stock....
Cheers!
Old 12-30-2023, 06:11 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

For comparison, I have an Enya R120-4C glow engine. It is rated at 2.1 hp at 12,500 rpm and weighs 2 pounds. I fly it with a larger, slower turning 16-6 prop running 8,600 rpm and it pulls my 13 pound Balsa USA Phaeton 90 biplane just fine, but not unlimited verticals. I also have RCGF 15RE, 20RE and a 26RE beam mount engines. The 15RE weighs 1.69 pounds (less battery), is rated at 2.4 hp and turns my APC 15x6 prop at 9,190 rpm (should be around 10 pounds of thrust). The 20RE weighs 1.75 pounds (less battery), is rated at 2.8 hp and turns my Rev-Up 16-7 wood prop at 8,820 rpm (about 14 pounds thrust). The 26RE weighs 2.11 pounds and is rated at 3.1 hp. My 26RE only has 30 minutes of running time and is still rich but turns a RCGF 18x8 prop at 7560 rpm (should make about 17 pounds of thrust when broken in). The weight difference between the glow 1.20 4 cycle engine and the 20cc and 26 cc Stingers is not all that much. I would suggest looking at the mounting dimensions and select the engine that best fits the mounts/cowl. The mounting width dimensions between the bearers are all different. I submitted engine review comments to RCGF USA for each of my three Stinger engines and they are posted at https://www.rcgfusa.com/. Comments for the 20cc and 26cc engines are both listed under the 26RE reviews. Either the 20RE or the 26RE should be able to provide vertical performance on a 13 pound model well beyond what should be scale. The 20RE being smaller, will vibrate less and provide one more inch of prop clearance. Of course, if it weighs closer to 15-16 pounds, then definitely go with the 26RE.
David Boyll

Last edited by LLRCFlyer; 12-30-2023 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-02-2024, 11:51 AM
svanvalkenburg

Thanks Dave, that’s great information! I like my YS 120 4C running in a Top Flite P-47 and slow or fast, does whatever you want with great authority. Scares the jerries, sounds great, and leaves a nice little smoke trail, too! I had a friend with the same bird who used the minimal recommended .60 2-stroke. Took a full pound of lead in the nose to balance – it flew scale, but needed full throttle except for landing.

Based on that CMP model (similar size/weight) which calls for a 140 4C, I’m leaning toward the RCGF 26cc RE. I probably won’t mind the weight and the planned 3-blade prop should clear just fine. I checked out the reviews on their site and the worst one I could find gave it a 4 out of 5 stars with the rest raves. And dirt cheap compared to the glow 4 strokes, too!
Old 01-05-2024, 03:53 AM
Apache06

Mine will fly with a RCGF 26 RE Stinger