Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Aloha,
I tried to go to JR Hobbies web site and pre order the model...but unable to find how to pre order the P-38. I would like a kit myself and wonder if its an exact copy of the VQ model. If so...great. I would also like a set of retracts to go with the model. Are the retracts electric of pneumatic? Nothing beats good electric retracts, for they are less complicated in operation and no other equipment needed to make them work.

What type of finish...Super Monakote?...I pray its not the same shelf paper covering that most of VQ models come with. This covering is imposable to repair or to re -shrink...it really sucks. I've built several VQ models over the years (my last one is the A26 Invader) and really do not like this type of covering at all. If the model comes with the old VQ shelf paper covering...would it be possible to order a airframe, ready to cover-or uncovered?

Pm me when the models are ready to ship...and I'll take one, with the retractable landing gear.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
I love(d) the VQ-38. Total of >200 flights on three of them
Just buried my last one when spinner backplate blew up on me.

Kit gear (earlier versions) was crap

Robart 630/639 gear set is a good, strong fit
Costs an extra $300+, of course, but I highly recommend it
Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Awesome!
Ronald can you show how you made the fowler flap mechanism?
Those are so powerful. The YA 38 lands slow without flaps Ive learned but the flaps are conventional. Id really like to improve on the flaps later on so its more scale when deployed.
Anything you can share about the build Id love to see.
Ditto.

Beautiful low-speed flight for a P-38

Can you show us more of the Fowlers?

mt
Old 10-04-2014, 11:54 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLH101
Here's some more pics of my P-38 build:
Looking good, you've got to love the simplicity (and speed) of sanding to shape vs sheeting and planking
Old 10-04-2014, 01:43 PM
JB-Hobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Aloha,
I tried to go to JR Hobbies web site and pre order the model...but unable to find how to pre order the P-38. I would like a kit myself and wonder if its an exact copy of the VQ model. If so...great. I would also like a set of retracts to go with the model. Are the retracts electric of pneumatic? Nothing beats good electric retracts, for they are less complicated in operation and no other equipment needed to make them work.

What type of finish...Super Monakote?...I pray its not the same shelf paper covering that most of VQ models come with. This covering is imposable to repair or to re -shrink...it really sucks. I've built several VQ models over the years (my last one is the A26 Invader) and really do not like this type of covering at all. If the model comes with the old VQ shelf paper covering...would it be possible to order a airframe, ready to cover-or uncovered?

Pm me when the models are ready to ship...and I'll take one, with the retractable landing gear.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Hello all,
James here from JB Hobbies. We'll begin taking pre-orders on the P-38 once they're on the water heading our way. Even when pre-sales open up those of you who've contacted me directly are already on the reserve list so you're covered.

I'll double-check with the manufacturer on the covering to see if it's the same PVC covering used on the other models but I'm pretty sure it is.

Please note there are now two versions of the P-38: glow/gas and "EG" for electric power. The battery hatches in the EG version will be located on the underside of each engine nacelle just forward of the gear doors. If any of you are in the Los Angeles area we'll have an EG model on display. When you contact me for reservation please indicate color and power option.

One last comment, due to the great response I've increased my order with Vinh Quang Models. The upside is that almost twice as many are coming. The downside is that it will another week or two. So the arrival date will likely be late in November possibly even early December depending on Customs clearance. Either way it will be a good Christmas!

James
Old 10-06-2014, 02:20 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

CG before doing my maiden:
Looked at my thread and found the following comments on CG.
Checking to see if anyone who has flown a yellow P-38 can verify this CG?
ps: Since I'm leaving tomorrow for Georgia and will be flying her on Wednesday, I listed this post on 3 different threads hoping to get a quick answer by today.
Thanks

post # 145:
Charles at Yellow said the CG is 3/4" forward of the front main spar.
That puts the CG on the front panel line of the two that are close together as the back panel line is over the main spar.

post # 147:
I previously mentioned that the CG was on the front panel line of the two that are close to each other on the top of the wing.
The bottom of the wing has a 3rd panel line and I'm using that as the CG.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p38yac456.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2037641  

Last edited by samparfitt; 10-06-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 AM
JB-Hobbies

Originally Posted by sudstad
You make a good point. That gear set prolly won't work on a 15lb-20lb plane... especially if you fly off of a grass strip like we do.

It sounds like an updated version of the VQ that I have. The VQ has gotten great reviews for it's flight characteristics from experienced pilots here in RC Universe. If the airframe is good, the gear aren't a deal-breaker. Just buy the gear that you trust.

My older VQ has Robart air. I'd prefer electric, but hadn't found a set that I had confidence in.
We are working on sourcing a drop-in compatible all-metal electric retract set that's rated up to 10Kg (22 lbs)! For comparison, the P-38 should max out below 8Kg (17.6 lbs).
James
Old 10-06-2014, 09:25 AM
70 ragtop

Sam
i believe hanging on the front spar with gear up is correct. There are pictures in Chris' thread with MAC measurements noted
Old 10-06-2014, 03:20 PM
fvdriver

I believe I have seen a description of how to locate a CG in one of the magazines. You may be able to contact Paul Bradley the writer of "small field flying" and he might know. He is one of the most knowledgeable builders/designers out there.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:32 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks for the info. I used the top panel line and she is slightly nose heavy with the gear up so all should be good. One nice thing with retracts that go backwards, if tail heavy, just put the gear down.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:01 PM
70 ragtop

Originally Posted by samparfitt
thanks for the info. I used the top panel line and she is slightly nose heavy with the gear up so all should be good. One nice thing with retracts that go backwards, if tail heavy, just put the gear down.

Best of luck with the maiden!

Just curious which panel line you are talking about. Here's a picture looking down at the wing partially plugged in, with MAC numbers and measurements for reference.

Edit: Never mind, just went and looked at plane and understand which lines you're talking about. Fwd panel line on the top with gear up should be fine. Have a great trip!

Name:	IMG_2238.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	2038128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2239.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	2038129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2240.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	696.1 KB
ID:	2038130  

Last edited by 70 ragtop; 10-06-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:42 PM
JB-Hobbies

Update:
The good news, we're getting the electric ready version and more of the P-38's than originally ordered. The bad news, delivery date has now slipped to mid-December.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:03 PM
70 ragtop

Still in time for Christmas!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Hi Jim

Just went and looked, yes I have one. PM me your address and I'll send it out

Thanks. It is nice to be airborne again.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by JB-Hobbies
Update:
The good news, we're getting the electric ready version and more of the P-38's than originally ordered. The bad news, delivery date has now slipped to mid-December.
Is this the same model that was sold 6-7 years ago? When will pics be shown on your web site?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 AM
JB-Hobbies

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
Is this the same model that was sold 6-7 years ago? When will pics be shown on your web site?
It is the same model but different brand name. (can't use "VQ") I'll post photos just as soon as the first few roll off the assembly line. Production was delayed a bit by the re-engineering of the EG version, but the first models should be ready to photograph in the next few weeks.

Last edited by JB-Hobbies; 10-14-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:58 AM
fvdriver

I may have a line on a NIB Royal P-38 kit. Any idea what its worth, and is it worth the effort?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Originally Posted by fvdriver
I may have a line on a NIB Royal P-38 kit. Any idea what its worth, and is it worth the effort?
Generally $250-$350.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 PM
70 ragtop

Yup, what he said
Here's what sold for in the past couple weeks. Seems to be an endless supply. Someone must have found a trailer full of them somewhere. Always seems to be one or two for sale
VINTAGE ROYAL P-38 MODEL KIT WITH COCKPIT KIT

• Oct-10 10:53

Royal Lockheed P-38 Lightning, R/C airplane balsa kit RARE! Remote control NR!!

• Oct-09 18:11

Lockheed P-38 Lightning WWII Fighter Royal RC Balsa Model Cockpit Kit IOB

Last edited by 70 ragtop; 10-15-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:25 PM
lkahn4

Guys,
As a fellow lover of the "forked tail devil" and h lost his last weekend I was looking for a kit that I can build when I get to AZ.
Mine was a Glass by Price, appx 74" wing span (2) OS 61 FX's 11 servos, flew okay, needed to make a few mods but I think they would have been worked out.
If you would like to check out his new and improved version go to rcairplane.net G&P sales, he has numerous planes and from what I can see his mods on the P38 will make it easier to build and fly.
Would love to build a Zirolli but the wallet just isn't fat enough.
My friend and I are partners in a Charlie Kellogg TBF Avenger and I'm working on a Dave Platt T28 Trojan

Happy Flying

Larry
Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by samparfitt
Just to be clear, on the Yellow P-38, my maiden flight was with the CG on the wing spar NOT at the factory suggested 3/4in fwd of spar point. This was a perfect flight and required no trim in flight.
In my thread I showed the balance point and the CG shift with the retracts down. When the CG is at the spar the shift is very subtle. With the CG at the factory point the CG shift is very dramatic requiring a lot of elevator compensation.

Balance yours on the wing spar, it will be great.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:56 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Permission to come on board the P38 Brotherhood!!!! I am one of the many who has a love for this amazing aircraft, there is nothing else like it anywhere in aviation.

I am returning to the hobby after almost thirty years and my inspiration is finding and/or creating the unusual to model and fly. I have scratch built Four P38s over the last two years with a focus on a quick build design that would be fun and easy to fly. Scattered results so far and I am starting a fifth project still looking for that elusive "right" combination.

I was just surfing through posts looking for reading material to see what I might learn about P38 designs and stumbled onto your club. I am a member of the Kadet Brotherhood and thoroughly enjoy that group. I'm sure I will find the same kinship here as well.

Here are pics of some of my previous attempts and as you can tell I am not as much into scale as I am into the satisfaction of seeing my handiwork....work! When I am fully processed I would love to share the current slightly more aggressive project , which is a hybrid design stolen from my work with Sig Kadets and a Great Planes profile P38.

look forward to hearing from you.

Name:	WP_001035.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2041248   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000907.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	658.4 KB
ID:	2041249   Click image for larger version

Name:	silver7.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	2041250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miller's P38 flyby! closeup.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	2041251  
Old 10-19-2014, 07:06 PM
70 ragtop

Ikahn4, and BeeTeeEldorado, welcome to the brotherhood

Build pics, tips, tricks, and ideas always welcome. Of coarse, everyone likes flight videos!

Welcome

[ATTACH]2041257[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P-38 Lightning Brotherhood.pdf (169.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-19-2014, 07:24 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Wondering if anyone in the group knows who was cutting short kits for the 94" Art Johnson P-38? It's been a few years back but someone had short kits and I failed to get one at the time.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:26 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Ikahn4, and BeeTeeEldorado, welcome to the brotherhood

Build pics, tips, tricks, and ideas always welcome. Of coarse, everyone likes flight videos!

Welcome

[ATTACH]2041257[/IMG]

Thank you for the welcome. I have a link to my U-Tube channel in my signature which has 30 plus videos. They are there to be watched so feel free.

Here is a quick one in the spirit of my new Brotherhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2LT-1JPx8&list=TLb-QrgrIIJ5FfOFhkCoaPIpMGIRKq6x8V
Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Ok so here is the concept for the current P38 project.

1. Easy to Build
2. Doesn't fall out of the sky unintentionally

I have experimented with electrics because it is a fair certainty that if one fan is turning both fans will keep turning. It does make the fear of spontaneous snap rolls less a factor when flying but there are other drawbacks, not the least of which for me is the satisfaction endorphin secreted when I hear two sync'd engines running.

Sooo I want to see if I can duplicate a success I had with modifying a Sig Kadet into a twin. The modified Kadet twin is easily flown on one engine, well maybe not easily but successfully!! (I have intentionally taken off with one as well as shut one down while in flight) That plane has well over 100 successful flights to date. (most of the time with both engines running)

The easily built goal will come from the box style construction of the Kadet for the booms and pod and the semi-symmetrical low wing loading hershey-bar type wing of an old Great Planes model I'm familiar with called "GLA". The "Great Little Airplane" wing had a slight swept back design that I think will aid in the flight characteristics and I think I can do some things to enhance the outline of the wing that could keep the results at least a kind of stand-off appearance as true as possible to the full scale. Then we will just have to hope the paint guy can make me look good!!

It will have retracts, about a 56 inch one piece wing with 0 dihedral, I have not decided on power plants yet but leaning toward 40 size although 25's are a real possibility, I know a way to easily incorporate Fowler style flaps between the booms and the rest of the wingspan will have ailerons, 0 incidence on both wing and stab with the thrust line going straight through the wing.

So having sufficiently bored everyone I'll stop for now. There will be pictures along the way and I genuinely appreciate suggestions and/or experience.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.