Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Aros

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JB-Hobbies
Just got pics of the silver version minutes ago and posted them on the site! https://www.jb-hobbies.com/presta/wa...lightning.html
Ah heck, now I'm wavering about the silver one...I prefer silver liveries for the P-38...Question, what cockpit kit is that in the photos and where can I get one for this bird? Thanks!

PS...Rusty55125, that P-38 would be a dream RC plane. Wow. If only I had the space and money and airfield!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:19 PM
rusty55125
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power for the 1/4 scale P-38 will come from DA 100 inline twins, the radio will be Futaba.
My intension is to model it after Honey Bunny, it just look good and has some color that will help in seeing it in the air.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Honey Bunny.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	2050368  
Old 11-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 11-27-2014, 06:22 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like I might get to start covering this bird. A little more sanding and she will be ready for some color.

Name:	20141127_195008.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2050625   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141127_194756.jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2050626   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141127_194855_1.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	951.5 KB
ID:	2050627   Click image for larger version

Name:	yippee.jpg
Views:	1405
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	2050628  
Old 11-28-2014, 03:36 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Covering started.

Name:	20141128_171729.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2050732   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141128_171714.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2050733  
Old 11-30-2014, 05:04 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Originally Posted by rvnrcer
If anyone is interested, I have a DA 50 that was set up by DA for reverse (left hand) rotation. I was going to use it in a Yellow P-38 but have decided to go electric. I will be listing it for sale on here and EBay. I installed it in a Top Flite Mustang and ran 2 tanks of gas through it but never flew plane with it. I also have 2 22x10 left hand rotation Biela carbon fiber props, 2 blade. I have a right hand rotation DA 50 purchased at the same time as the reverse one also, and would sell both as a set or just the reversed one. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks, Keith
What are you planning for power?
Old 11-30-2014, 05:09 AM
70 ragtop

QUOTE=rusty55125;11925766]The power for the 1/4 scale P-38 will come from DA 100 inline twins, the radio will be Futaba.
My intension is to model it after Honey Bunny, it just look good and has some color that will help in seeing it in the air.
[/QUOTE]

Rusty55125
That's a nice scheme, what a great project! Yes, you must have an awesome flying site, and a pretty big truck as well for that one!

Please continue to share pics and updates, or is there a build thread?

Looking good Terry!

[ATTACH]2051138[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P-38 Lightning Brotherhood.pdf (169.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by 70 ragtop; 11-30-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:51 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Valleyview RC has two 21cc counter rotating gas engines. I think these would could be considered for the JB Hobbies P38. I've waiting on dimensions.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Bob Paris

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay SWORDSN,
I'm not to sure you will be able to use the VVRC 20cc gas engines in this model. True the VVRC 21cc gas engines have the smallest foot print of any gas 20cc available today, but the JB Hobbies P-38 is a licensed issue of the older VQ P-38. I have both the VQ P-38 and the Nitro Planes P-38 and fitting a VVRC 21cc gas engine will be a really tight fit at best. Plus the kit calls out for a .46 two stroke glow for power with an all up weight of about 15~16#. Now if it was the larger P-38 that ESM put together I would say these VVRC 21cc gas engines would be the perfect fit. I wish I would be able to get a ESM P-38 today, but not available anymore.

My Nitro Planes P-38 came out to 18#'s with a removable stabilizer modification, and this model was powered with two .61 two stroke engines. It had retracts installed too, but I need to install heavier batteries and onboard glow to keep the CG within limits.

Just my thoughts on the model...but I will say that the VVRC's small gas engines are little jewels. I also have the VVRC 40cc twin cylinder gas engine installed in a ESM F6F and I'm very impressed by the quality of the engine.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Jetjockgb
My Feedback: (4)

Hi rusty55125,,
So your the lucky man that got Pauls P38!!! I was very interested but it was just getting her over here to the UK,, so just about to start my own 1/4 p38,, keep the photos coming pretty please, did you get the canopy sourced??

Regards Graham Buchanan
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 PM
SWORDSN

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay SWORDSN,
I'm not to sure you will be able to use the VVRC 20cc gas engines in this model. True the VVRC 21cc gas engines have the smallest foot print of any gas 20cc available today, but the JB Hobbies P-38 is a licensed issue of the older VQ P-38. I have both the VQ P-38 and the Nitro Planes P-38 and fitting a VVRC 21cc gas engine will be a really tight fit at best. Plus the kit calls out for a .46 two stroke glow for power with an all up weight of about 15~16#. Now if it was the larger P-38 that ESM put together I would say these VVRC 21cc gas engines would be the perfect fit. I wish I would be able to get a ESM P-38 today, but not available anymore.

My Nitro Planes P-38 came out to 18#'s with a removable stabilizer modification, and this model was powered with two .61 two stroke engines. It had retracts installed too, but I need to install heavier batteries and onboard glow to keep the CG within limits.

Just my thoughts on the model...but I will say that the VVRC's small gas engines are little jewels. I also have the VVRC 40cc twin cylinder gas engine installed in a ESM F6F and I'm very impressed by the quality of the engine.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Bob,you are probably right.I had the VQ P38 several years ago and the cowls are small.
I was "just wishing I guess". Anyway they list them as "low profile"and I would like to see some dimensions. Troybuilt listed a P38 coming soon in one of their news letters and it could be ESM but I don't know for sure. Evolution gassers may be an option also for the P38

Last edited by SWORDSN; 12-01-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Bob Paris

Hay SWORDSN,
I also read from T.B. M. that ESM was reissuing the P-38 they sold several years ago-but that was a while ago. I having one of these is on my wish list, but I am willing to wait a bit more for it to come out. I have read here on RCU where folks powered their ESM P-38's with 20cc gas engines and was a good match. The ESM P-38 came out a bit tail heavy, so the extra weight up forward would help out. My N.P. P-38 came out way tail heavy so maybe this is something to think about.

Evolution and OS both have options that might fit bill for the VQ P-38, and I would love to power the VQ P-38 with small gas engines. OS has an ignition free gas engine in the works, with a glow plug for ignition. This will eliminate all the instillation of an electronic ignition into the model. There is another reason I would love a new ESM P-38 and that it is a bit larger then the VQ and you can use the new twin sync system for ignition engines.

You just "Y" in your ignition pick up wires into the new unit-along with your throttle servo's, and you no longer need to install magnets or any more wires, for a solid sync of your engines. I've read where another gentlemen flying this system, stated that it operated perfectly and kept his engines in perfect sync-he was flying the older ESM P-38 airframe. I have ordered this unit from "Down and Locked" for a 35cc gas twin I'm building now (an AMR kit). So I will have some first hand knowledge of how this all works. But everything I've ever read or had to deal with flying a P-38...is that you lose an engine, you have a slim chance to get the model down in one piece. The P-38 has a nasty habit of rolling over and going in...and unless your quick to throttle down, the model will roll over onto its back...and its all she wrote. I built a Royal kit years ago and that is exactly what happened to me... : ( So I am really praying ESM does a reissue of their P-38, for I'll grab one for sure.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 12-01-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:11 PM
lkahn4

Okay Chad,
Give, where were these photos taken, I'm buying my ticket for Phoenix....LOL

Larry
Old 12-01-2014, 04:22 PM
lkahn4

Sheldon
I had an original G & P P38... 1/7th scale. I kinda thought it had a 72" wingspan with 2 OS 61 FX's.
I just ordered the manual for his 88" and we'll see how they match up.
I put mine in the water about 2 months ago salvaged the motors and gear but nothing else.
If you would like to see the maiden flight go to post #756 and click on the video.
We think it tip stalled on landing, I made some mods after that and then I added servos for the outboard flaps as I wasn't happy with the setup that was in the inst manual.

I got a ton of compliments on the plane and I think it's close enough to scale that it would be hard pressed to know it's off a bit

Larry
Old 12-01-2014, 05:12 PM
fvdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a G&P 38 about half done. I am not too impressed. No fowler flaps unless you design your own and with the foam wing almost impossible to install. I told the guy at G&P I was planning to make it electric and he thought he would do me a favor and make a light layup. The booms BENT just behind the wing saddle just sitting in the shop. No weight on them, not even servos installed. I managed to straighten them (sort of) and reinforce them with glass and balsa on the inside, but I don't feel confident enough to finish it. In fact if any one wants to finish it...make me a stupid offer, I have retracts for it too.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:00 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Ummmmm. I'll pay for shipping!!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Smooth Pilot

It looked like it was a smooth flyer. I was working on a scratch build from Royal plans that got set aside for the pattern contest season this year. I am going to get back on it between practice flights. I will still consider the G&P now that I have seen that it flys fairly well.

Thanks for info,
Sheldon
Old 12-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lkahn4
Okay Chad,
Give, where were these photos taken, I'm buying my ticket for Phoenix....LOL

Larry
Hi Larry,

Those photos were taken at Chino airport in Chino, Ca. It was a very special day as you can see below!

PS - I thought this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. However, turns out that just a few years later the Planes of Fame museum bested this turn out by gathering together 6 flyable Lightnings. (Although only 5 of them actually flew.) I was present on that occassion as well so you can imagine that I have quite a few P-38 pictures!

Last edited by Chad Veich; 12-01-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:38 PM
70 ragtop

Originally Posted by fvdriver
I have a G&P 38 about half done. I am not too impressed. No fowler flaps unless you design your own and with the foam wing almost impossible to install. I told the guy at G&P I was planning to make it electric and he thought he would do me a favor and make a light layup. The booms BENT just behind the wing saddle just sitting in the shop. No weight on them, not even servos installed. I managed to straighten them (sort of) and reinforce them with glass and balsa on the inside, but I don't feel confident enough to finish it. In fact if any one wants to finish it...make me a stupid offer, I have retracts for it too.
That's a bummer. What did G&P have to say? I'm wrestling with a lite layup on an very early JMP F-4 right now....not fun!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 PM
panhandler

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Hi Larry,

Those photos were taken at Chino airport in Chino, Ca. It was a very special day as you can see below!

PS - I thought this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. However, turns out that just a few years later the Planes of Fame museum bested this turn out by gathering together 6 flyable Lightnings. (Although only 5 of them actually flew.) I was present on that occassion as well so you can imagine that I have quite a few P-38 pictures!
On the east coast we have nothing like this I am DROOLING :}...
Old 12-01-2014, 08:17 PM
70 ragtop

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Hi Larry,

That's pretty awesome!

Few years ago, we had 5 Corsairs an airshow in Stratford CT, I think it was the 70th anniversary, can't remember for sure. Four flew in formation, and one flew solo.

I used to work in the old hangars right across the street, from what is now the empty Avco building. During most of WW2, it was the Sikorsky/Vought factory. Lots of history there, flying boats rolled out the back doors into the Housatonic river for test flights in the 30's, Kingfishers were built there as were the original Corsairs. First helicopter flight (VS-300), ect, ect

Amazing the history you can find right in your backyard! Would love to make it out west to a Chino show one of these days!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 PM
fvdriver

Funny Big Tee! I would almost sell it for shipping costs...to you! Seriously if you paid me for the retracts ($350) I would give you the plane!

I never really addressed the problem with G&P. I had the kit a while before I started it and it was sitting for a while before it sagged. I am just glad I did not try to fly it without the reinforcement. I doubt it would have survived a loop or even a pulling out from a hammerhead.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:02 AM
SWORDSN

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay SWORDSN,
I also read from T.B. M. that ESM was reissuing the P-38 they sold several years ago-but that was a while ago. I having one of these is on my wish list, but I am willing to wait a bit more for it to come out. I have read here on RCU where folks powered their ESM P-38's with 20cc gas engines and was a good match. The ESM P-38 came out a bit tail heavy, so the extra weight up forward would help out. My N.P. P-38 came out way tail heavy so maybe this is something to think about.

Evolution and OS both have options that might fit bill for the VQ P-38, and I would love to power the VQ P-38 with small gas engines. OS has an ignition free gas engine in the works, with a glow plug for ignition. This will eliminate all the instillation of an electronic ignition into the model. There is another reason I would love a new ESM P-38 and that it is a bit larger then the VQ and you can use the new twin sync system for ignition engines.

You just "Y" in your ignition pick up wires into the new unit-along with your throttle servo's, and you no longer need to install magnets or any more wires, for a solid sync of your engines. I've read where another gentlemen flying this system, stated that it operated perfectly and kept his engines in perfect sync-he was flying the older ESM P-38 airframe. I have ordered this unit from "Down and Locked" for a 35cc gas twin I'm building now (an AMR kit). So I will have some first hand knowledge of how this all works. But everything I've ever read or had to deal with flying a P-38...is that you lose an engine, you have a slim chance to get the model down in one piece. The P-38 has a nasty habit of rolling over and going in...and unless your quick to throttle down, the model will roll over onto its back...and its all she wrote. I built a Royal kit years ago and that is exactly what happened to me... : ( So I am really praying ESM does a reissue of their P-38, for I'll grab one for sure.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Hello Bobby. I lost my VQ p38 because of an engine out on Take off. I tried the original Twin Sync on a ESM B25 with two gas engines, with poor results.Sounds like the new Twin Sync is much improved.I'm planning on buying the new JB P38 when it's out and I hope to use a gas engines

PS I visited paradise two years ago,what a trip!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Bob Paris

Hay SWORDSN,
Its not a new Twin Sync, but an add on affair to the older unit, for gas engines. The "Twin Sync" utilizes a system identical to your gas engine electronic ignition pick up, and what the utilizes. It uses the magnetic pick up your electronic ignition uses, to operate the Twin Sync, and keeps things simple and easy to install. The unit is called the "DL530 Interface" and is sold by Down and Locked. It is the only company that I know of that sells this unit that utilizes the magnetic pick up to the "Electronic Ignition Pickup." I read a flight report some where on the new system and the gentleman stated it worked flawlessly in his ESM P-38. I've had the Twin Sync for a while now and never used it, because of the issues with the magnets I needed to set up on my spinners to operate the old system with the Twin Sync. Powering up gas engines can be really crazy, even with setting up a throttle curve on your Tx. From my experience, they go from idle to full power in less then half the throttle travel, and what this unit does is match your power up. I know use longer carb throttle arms and smaller arms on my throttle servo to get a more matched run up from idle.

Currently the units are out of stock, but was told that they will be delivered by Dec. 15th. So I paid and back ordered the unit and from what I have been told, these units do not stay long on the shelf. I am very interested in trying this out on my current build (AMR Twin Ugly Stick) and before I stick it in a more complex scale P-38 (I do hope that ESM reissues their P-38 soon). I did talk to Tom over at T.B.M. and he stated to me that the ESM P-38 is still in development. I do know they had a few problems with the first issue, so maybe the new one will be better. We can only wait and see what comes down the pike...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 12-02-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:18 PM
lkahn4

Chad,
Is that Glacier Girl at the front of the line?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.