Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Judah Ben-Hur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
WOW, what a beauty! I love the hand carved turbochargers

The Art Johnson model has some very nice lines, very true its big brother. Obviously your brother is a real craftsman with a great attention to detail. The pictures, and the fact he's flown a nitro P-38 almost every year for roughly 30 years is a testament to that!

I have been thinking of blowing up a set of those plans to 114" and using them to build a hybrid Johnson/Ziroli. Would be doing this in an effort to improve the scale lines of the Ziroli and lighten it up.....Art Johnson got it right
Would love to see some more pictures

Well done!
One thing I do know is all that sanding sure makes a ton of dust. It goes everywhere and even leaves footprints.

I will tell him about this thread and your intentions because he goes bananas over anything P-38 Lightning. He isn't so up to snuff on the computer and internet thing so I will have to be his eyes and ears.

The other pictures are with the different pieces hanging in a living room for the final drying out. Sort of a makeshift final drying out booth. It does hinder tv watching and raises hell with the breathing. He got the booms back after the Christmas break. A local art teacher accepted the job of painting the Satan's Angels on the sides. He kept telling the guy that they don't have to be perfect because this stuff was done in the field so things were not like always portrayed. He currently has the main section for the painting of the devil's head on the nose and a little one on the left hand side. I think he might also be doing the hand lettering of the pilot's name. The rest will be hand made stickers. The plane will be done up as Lt. Louis D. DuMontier "Madu".

There is another Ziroli P-38 being built about 20 miles from us. Also I've seen some pre-build pictures of another Ziroli with all the bells and whistles. He was local but is somewhere in Upstate New York, I think. Probably both are on here because I only got through about 7 pages so far.

I'm not sure about adding other pictures because I don't know how the website will act. If I add, does it add to this post only without duplicating the others, or do I have to wipe out the others that show up in the box?

Maybe I'm not so good with this internet thing.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Judah Ben-Hur

Originally Posted by fw190
That all wood P38 is awesome, person gots skills and patience!

I thought the Art Johnson plans was thinned (stretched out) and the Ziroli was a lot closer?

I had a 6 month setback so I had to restart all over on my twin-twin builds, had to make two fresh kits and it was not easy to say the least (see remnants in the background). Added some improvements since I had not made any in the last 10 years.

It looks like you got your own factory going. One thing I do know is there are a lot of P-38's out there but I don't see to many for the events that I've gone too. I guess that makes it all the more special when one shows up.

He does like building and probably gets a little more out of that then flying. The only reason he doesn't go bigger is the hauling them around becomes more of a hassle. He wants me to fly his older one when my skills get better. I hate to break it to him but I'm not to keen on that idea. I've got a 73" Mosquito too worry about when I get around to getting a receiver and checking the engines out. Everything else is ready to go but I've got too many other things going on. It's a given that I won't be doing the maiden flight on that one.

My brother will be needing a new set of plans if he plans on building anymore. His have been hanging in the shop for 30+ years and are in pretty bad shape. They crumble pretty easy.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:48 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Judah Ben-Hur

I'm not sure about adding other pictures because I don't know how the website will act. If I add, does it add to this post only without duplicating the others, or do I have to wipe out the others that show up in the box?

Maybe I'm not so good with this internet thing.
Just add pictures to the current post your writing, same way you did it the first time. It will attached the pictures to that post

Vic
Good to see you back at the P-38. Sorry to here about what happened, that sucks! The new ones look great, going gas, nitro, or electric?
Old 02-13-2015, 04:33 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vic,
Does mean the P-38 will go into production?
Old 02-14-2015, 05:24 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

While deciding if I am going to build the Ziroli or if something similar size will be released. The VQ is on the radar. I do not want to go electric. Does anyone know if any four stroke nitro can be reversed?
Min the Zirolli I am using the KOLM 50's that can be purchased w reverse rotation.

Any input appreciated

so Vic, details man details. LOL
Old 02-14-2015, 09:11 PM
simple
My Feedback: (9)

Here is an older short thread with photos of 62's in P-38's.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...ing-g-62s.html
Old 02-15-2015, 12:03 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Originally Posted by ThunderBoat42
Does anyone know if any four stroke nitro can be reversed?

Any input appreciated

so Vic, details man details. LOL
Saitos can, here's a couple links another modeller posted on a Facebook group:
http://www.tulsacl.com/ReverseSaito.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362160
Old 02-16-2015, 12:12 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Terry am not sure I want to waste all my time making P38 kits, it got gobs of parts to make and just the center section alone is 12 hours to make.

Here was my original thread when I finished the molds that took me a year to make and this was 12 years ago.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...prototype.html

The longevity of P38s is typically short and making the molds was well worth it. I made it 1/7th scale since Yellow Aircraft was 1/6 and Ziroli was 1/5. Plus it was big enough for gas motors. Anyways I got burnt out on making this kit so I stopped making them.

I am powering them with 160 size electric motors on 10s and now that we have telemetry with our receivers its going to be for sure a 'bullet proof' P38. . Contemplating of putting 120 size electrics with 8s and save a ton of weight.

Last edited by fw190; 02-16-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:19 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Vic, just curious about the Power system you are considering for the 38's. which motors and batteries are you considering and what is your projected weight ?
Old 02-16-2015, 07:07 AM
tuchadwick59
My Feedback: (31)

I am so glad someone put this thread up. I am not a builder and I have been looking for a good one for a few years. I finally came across a credible one in David Gates. However Gates was to far out in his work and referred me to David Collins from Mayo, FL

Well let me just tell you that I was completely taken for. I sent the Yellow P-38 kit with all the trimmings to David, everything he needed, and it took him a year to apply covering to the plane and that's it. After numerous monthly updates that were all bogus, I had to threaten him with the authorities to get the plane back. Sent a friend all the way from Tulsa and now I know why it was so hard. Because NOTHING WAS DONE TO IT. I got the plane back with the covering and that was it. No servos installed, no gear, plumbing, no motors, nothing..... This after I paid him $1800 to build it. Now I am in a legal suit with him because he refused to return calls or even explain what happened. It has been a nightmare.

I have posted about it before, but the reason I wanted to post it now, is because I have finally found a viable option for building. Somehow I stumbled on a guy here in Tulsa, OK that builds for clients nationwide. His name is Jordan Morse and he has a website: http://www.morseaircraftdevelopment.com

This dude is unreal. Extremely detailed and he is unbelievable with the up-to-date electronics for RC avionics. Bill Cunningham is a national figure as a pilot and builder (Top Gun, Joe Nall, you name it) and Bill explained that Jordan is "The only guy I would let build one of my planes."

Well Bill was right, Jordan is phenomenal and he is right in my backyard. He does turbines and large scale stuff and I can go on and on about the professionalism and first class wiring and building. And the BEST part, he is uber fast. A true professional. If anyone knows anything about hiring a builder, you know that it always takes twice as long as they quote.

Here is an awesome, thorough review he did for PilotRC's Dolphin Turbine. This has been labeled one of the best reviews anyone has ever done.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11611583-pilot-dolphin-review-build.html

Anyways, I was so excited to share his work with others who don't have the time to build and want superb quality. However, you might need to wait till after he is done with two projects for me. But the best part about what this guy does is that he is the fastest builder I have ever seen. It's unreal. He is doing a Legend Models 83" P-38 for me and he is done in four days. And with the best electronics set up I have ever seen. Gyro, Power box, wiring, etc. It's amazing. Check this dude out. Whether you want Turbine, Large scale gassers, warbirds, he will get it done exactly how you want, he will make great suggestions on stuff you may not even know, and he will go through your plane with you and give a massive review and training for you before you fly.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 AM
sudstad

tu...
He is doing a Legend Models 83" P-38 for me and he is done in four days. And with the best electronics set up I have ever seen. Gyro, Power box, wiring, etc. It's amazing.

Please share more details about your build and flying experiences with this plane over at that build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274566
Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 AM
fw190

Originally Posted by JL1
Vic, just curious about the Power system you are considering for the 38's. which motors and batteries are you considering and what is your projected weight ?
I have AXI5330-18/Jeti 90 Plus (damaged maybe salvageable) but now will just end up using the Rimfire 1.60 with a Jeti Mezon 115 (telemetry). For batteries I am using nanotech 10s 4000-4500. I am guessing at around 25-30lbs. The batteries and the motors pretty much determines the overall weight, the airframe is around 15lbs without the power system.

I am absolutely determined to put the batteries in the center section not out in the booms. I am thinking If the overall mass is in the center, I think it will fly even better.

Last edited by fw190; 02-16-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:26 PM
70 ragtop

Originally Posted by tuchadwick59
I am so glad someone put this thread up. I am not a builder and I have been looking for a good one for a few years. I finally came across a credible one in David Gates. However Gates was to far out in his work and referred me to David Collins from Mayo, FL

Well let me just tell you that I was completely taken for. I sent the Yellow P-38 kit with all the trimmings to David, everything he needed, and it took him a year to apply covering to the plane and that's it. After numerous monthly updates that were all bogus, I had to threaten him with the authorities to get the plane back. Sent a friend all the way from Tulsa and now I know why it was so hard. Because NOTHING WAS DONE TO IT. I got the plane back with the covering and that was it. No servos installed, no gear, plumbing, no motors, nothing..... This after I paid him $1800 to build it. Now I am in a legal suit with him because he refused to return calls or even explain what happened. It has been a nightmare.

I have posted about it before, but the reason I wanted to post it now, is because I have finally found a viable option for building. Somehow I stumbled on a guy here in Tulsa, OK that builds for clients nationwide. His name is Jordan Morse and he has a website: http://www.morseaircraftdevelopment.com

This dude is unreal. Extremely detailed and he is unbelievable with the up-to-date electronics for RC avionics. Bill Cunningham is a national figure as a pilot and builder (Top Gun, Joe Nall, you name it) and Bill explained that Jordan is "The only guy I would let build one of my planes."

Well Bill was right, Jordan is phenomenal and he is right in my backyard. He does turbines and large scale stuff and I can go on and on about the professionalism and first class wiring and building. And the BEST part, he is uber fast. A true professional. If anyone knows anything about hiring a builder, you know that it always takes twice as long as they quote.

Here is an awesome, thorough review he did for PilotRC's Dolphin Turbine. This has been labeled one of the best reviews anyone has ever done.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11611583-pilot-dolphin-review-build.html

Anyways, I was so excited to share his work with others who don't have the time to build and want superb quality. However, you might need to wait till after he is done with two projects for me. But the best part about what this guy does is that he is the fastest builder I have ever seen. It's unreal. He is doing a Legend Models 83" P-38 for me and he is done in four days. And with the best electronics set up I have ever seen. Gyro, Power box, wiring, etc. It's amazing. Check this dude out. Whether you want Turbine, Large scale gassers, warbirds, he will get it done exactly how you want, he will make great suggestions on stuff you may not even know, and he will go through your plane with you and give a massive review and training for you before you fly.
What did you end up doing with the Yellow model?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:28 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Vic,
I bet your full P-38 is a pain to mold. I bought half cowls a nose a canopy and a few other parts from you a few years ago. They fit the ziroli plans scaled down 20%. Having the accessories available in the ~90" size range is a nice option over having to move all the way up to the full 114" version. I wish I could tell you I built the plane and it flew but I still just have the center section and wings framed........

Ross
Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 PM
tuchadwick59
My Feedback: (31)

Ragtop. The yellow P-38 is being completed right now. I wish I would have found Jordan before I handed it over to someone else. But the guy doing it is really good. We are going to see what a Yellow P-38 with counter Rotating DLE 55 RAs will look like. Yikes!!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:28 PM
fw190

Hi Ross, I remember now its been awhile. The P38 is a giant hurdle to frame up even at 90", I envy a few members here that are working on 1/4 scale versions. The cost of going bigger is exponential with money and time.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:05 PM
70 ragtop

Originally Posted by tuchadwick59
Ragtop. The yellow P-38 is being completed right now. I wish I would have found Jordan before I handed it over to someone else. But the guy doing it is really good. We are going to see what a Yellow P-38 with counter Rotating DLE 55 RAs will look like. Yikes!!!!
Gas...LOL

I thought you were building a sound system demo plane....little change of direction? Sounds like a fun plane!

Vic
I thought I responded to your post, but I must not have hit submit. Great to see you back on the P-38! Sorry to hear about what happened, that really sucks
I really don't want to sound like a broken record, but I was so happy with the Scorpion 4025-12s on 6S, I can't help myself. Great 6S setup that will spin MA 16x10x3 or G sonic 16x12x3 props all day long and flew a 23# 90" P-38 very nicely. Compact and light weight, highly recommend.

Another option worth a look is Vario props, variable pitch props. I got them direct, but now JB Hobbies is stocking some sizes here in the US. Here's a picture on my Yellow. Tune it to fit your setup and flying style. I would likely go with a lower KV than the Scorpions if using the varioprops, and roll in more pitch for same performance using less watts. Certainly gives you a lot of options. I think you can come up with some really good 6 and 8S options to help shed a couple lbs

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2437.JPG
Views:	740
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	2073881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3703.JPG
Views:	740
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	2073888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3728.JPG
Views:	768
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	2073889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3750.JPG
Views:	761
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	2073892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3739.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	2073893  

Last edited by 70 ragtop; 02-16-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 PM
fw190

Mike, thanks it did set me back about 6 months, hopefully this year I can make headway on some of my existing projects. You are making great stride on youir P38 remodel, looks like almost ready for paint.

Well I am stuck with the motors but I do like the idea on them variable pitch prop cuz I think these Master Airscrew will rob some power.

What size motors are going into the Yellow? I have a fresh Yellow p38 kit that I will eventually build one day, but not until I get more experience with my smaller P38.

You can kind of see the similarities of the two since I love how Yellow Aircraft make their P38 kits so I based most of their ideas. I made a few changes to make it easier for me to build it. I also made hollow core outer panels that made building a lot faster.

I once had a Bert Baker P38 kit and I cant remember why sold it but it had better parts detail on it that was lost prior to YA kitting it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150127_121302_resized.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	708.3 KB
ID:	2073971  

Last edited by fw190; 02-16-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 AM
fw190

Mike, I thought you went to a tacon 160 on your smaller P38 instead of the scorpion?

I am sure p38s would be a lot easier to land when lighter, if I can shave 2lbs it would be an accomplishment. Most of my gas powered planes are pretty heavy and way overbuilt for my abuse but they still fly extremely well, when I land I fly all of them in rather than float them in.

Last edited by fw190; 02-17-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:11 AM
70 ragtop

Vic

The Yellow has Scorpion 5030-220s, but I'm not sure they are going to work out. I liked the 4025-12 so much, I bought these for the Yellow. Ground tests are far less than impressive. Feel sure they will fly it, but not sure how well.

As far as the 90", yes I did switch to Tacon 160s. I only did it because I really liked the way thoe APC 15.75x13x3 props pulled the plane around. Could get same, maybe a little better performance using APC 16x12E two blade props on the Scorpions, with much lower amps . Scorpions were very happy with MA 16x10x3 and G Sonic 16x12x3, but I wasn't. I think most people would be happy, flew it in a spirited scale/sport scale manner, not really slow at all, I just wanted more top end, and 3 blades.

The big difference, I was already carrying four batteries per flight because I had such a big CG shift when gear came up. Long heavy struts and tires moving pretty far aft in a light weight airframe. The extra battery weight made shift much less. Instead of carrying 18600 worth of 6s, now I carry 10600 worth of 10S. No shortage of power or capacity, still only 24#

Motors are under utilized, and could easily add more pitch, but it is fun as it is, and motors are just humming along. My son posted some videos of different setups, but I can't find them now. He must have deleted them
Old 02-17-2015, 03:40 PM
fw190

Have you ran the 5030? The specs is similar to 30cc and it might be marginal on the Yellow P38 with extra weight of the batteries. It should fly it but your always close to max output. The Rimfire 50cc looks appealing but at almost 2x the weight. I flew e-heli for a while and when your taxing the system, things degrade rapidly.

Last edited by fw190; 02-17-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:52 PM
70 ragtop

I have run them, not overly impressed yet. I have no doubt they will fly it fine. I would like it to fly a little better than just fine. It is a P-38 after all.
Rimfire 50cc would be better suited in a Ziroli, IMHO. I have one in a 1/5 scale 26-27# FW190 Dora on 10s, and pulls it around, no problem with a 22x13 prop, plenty fast, unlimited vertical, and yes they weigh way too much

If we didn't have 2-3 feet of snow on the ground, I would have re-maidened it last week. Since we do have all this snow, I'm in paint mode now, so I hope its a good maiden.

It was 33# in those pictures with 5300 batteries, and pretty much ready to go. I guess 2-3 more lbs all detailed out, cockpit, panel lines, rivets ect, so guessing 35-36#. I think that is pretty much on pair for this plane. Virgin kit, no details, I could see 32ish #

For reference, a Tacon 160 in a 17# 71" FW190 was an absolute rocket with a 20.5x14 prop cut down to 16", two of them in a 35# plane should be just as good. The 5030's are basically 160 class. Honestly, I love the Tacons, just wanted to go a little higher quality, and I very well may end up switching back.
I know the APC props will fly this plane with those motors, no question at all. The big props on those motors is what I'm wondering about. I do not want to have to take too much pitch out of it to keep everything happy. Will likely maiden it with APC props first, then switch over once plane has a couple flights, and a few landings on it

I started a thread on RCG with a bunch of pictures. Check out post 24 and 32 to see cooling deflectors and baffles. IMHO, far too often overlooked, but very important for longevity. I think the norm is to just oversize to compensate for poor cooling. Since this planes starting out a little heavier due to repairs, and everything is times two, wanted to avoid that. Believe me, I would be very happy with 6-7HP motors in each cowl
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2274813&page=2

Last edited by 70 ragtop; 02-17-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Is anyone planning to assemble the Legend P38 and post it on this thread?
Old 02-18-2015, 06:11 AM
Zoomer02

Here are two build threads for the Legend P-38. I think the best mods shown are the flap servo relocation that allows you to remove the outer wing panels with out disassembling the top of the booms and disconnecting the flap push rod from the servo. This is how it should have been designed in the first place. You only need two extra servos. A mod to relocate the rudder servo to allow more room for a scale size wheel is also in the works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274566
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2338298

I am building my second one, after my original VQ p-38 got messed up last summer.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Zoomer02
Here are two build threads for the Legend P-38. I think the best mods shown are the flap servo relocation that allows you to remove the outer wing panels with out disassembling the top of the booms and disconnecting the flap push rod from the servo. This is how it should have been designed in the first place. You only need two extra servos. A mod to relocate the rudder servo to allow more room for a scale size wheel is also in the works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274566
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2338298

I am building my second one, after my original VQ p-38 got messed up last summer.
I'm following both threads which are electric powered. I was looking for gas or nitro as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.