Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 04:29 PM
pilotbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! What plans/kit is that? and what engines are you running?
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pilotbum
Very nice! What plans/kit is that? and what engines are you running?
The plans are Ziroli, I blew them up to 150" and made some mods. The engines are 3W 150 inlines.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:40 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Great job guys!

For those who may have missed it, you have got to check out Wayne's build thread. Wayne is doing an incredible job, simply amazing!
Check it out for yourself!
https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23228&PN=1
Old 10-06-2017, 05:20 PM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by P38J
The plans are Ziroli, I blew them up to 150" and made some mods. The engines are 3W 150 inlines.
I just started looking at the RCSB build thread, it looks like it was lazer cut. Who did your cutting?

Last edited by pilotbum; 10-06-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:13 PM
1200psi
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by cz-7a
Cz bought a p38 from bob just before he passed I’ll see if I can find some pics. The airplane is hanging up in my hanger. Cool stuff!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:22 PM
1200psi

Here’s some pics CBA p-38
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1523B130-3432-4D2D-A5DE-B224E6EF4006.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	2240340   Click image for larger version

Name:	96F3D4FA-DF70-47E8-A924-31C1C326E4F6.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2240341  
Old 10-09-2017, 02:11 AM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by pilotbum
I just started looking at the RCSB build thread, it looks like it was lazer cut. Who did your cutting?
I have access to a laser cutter, I did the cutting myself.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM
cz-7a

Nice images of Yipee CBA-P-38! I was told about your purchase that ended up out West. She sure is a beut!! I'm hoping to end up with a model this winter using the molds and plans to come up with a working , flying , improved model. Hopefully with some perseverance and better composites I can make it happened.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:26 PM
1200psi

Originally Posted by cz-7a
Nice images of Yipee CBA-P-38! I was told about your purchase that ended up out West. She sure is a beut!! I'm hoping to end up with a model this winter using the molds and plans to come up with a working , flying , improved model. Hopefully with some perseverance and better composites I can make it happened.

There is a few things I would change we should talk sometime.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:47 PM
cz-7a

That would be more than welcome, anytime you like, let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 PM
308jockey

I haven't read all of this thread but do have a P-38 question. Does anyone have experience with the old Royal kit? I have found one in the stash of a local modeler and I suspect he is going to sell it as he has enough built and more yet to build without this. I've always thought Royal kits tend to build heavy but if the plane flies reasonably well I can live with that. Worth the time and effort?

Rick H.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:34 AM
cz-7a

I had a Royal Corsair that was handed to me in four pieces the two wings and two fuselage. I made it my mission to repair it , properly balance it, and squelch the fears that the club at the time , said was a terrible flying plane with bad habits. I repaired the plane and found that the previous owner not only didn't properly balance the plane properly but was underpowered with a .60 at the time. I installed a .90 and much needed wt. in the nose. Test flight day came , crowed gathered and the plane flew right off the deck with no trim required. Plane served me well and even flew aerobatics and at funflys with no problems. I'm sure that even though the P-38 may be a difficult build possibly for some, it would be worth it to you if your dream is to have a unique model that is a rarity to see at any rc field let alone one in the air. Have posted a link I found for you , but make your own decisions from what I learned, you can do what you set out to do if your focused and diligent.

P-38 Lighting
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM
jr-dub64

Default Royal P-38

I have two Royal P-38 kits I bought from our club president who found them at a garage sale a couple years ago. He wanted 75 bucks so I snapped them up. A definite steal. Both wings had been framed up and a couple odds and ends. I think the original owner got overwhelmed after seeing the complexity of the kit . Anyway, I've been working on one for about a year. I have it all framed up and fitting the fiberglass cowls I purchased from Fiberglass Specialties. I'm using two ST 45,s for power hoping they will be enough. Now figuring out where to put the servos and linkage. It will be a time consuming build but an interesting one. I'll be using the fixed landing gear for durability because we fly off of a grass field. Should be a good winter project and then some. John
Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM
RCPROPSNAPPER
My Feedback: (22)

I have a NIB Royal P38 kit that I am going to start as a winter project. I have all of the fiberglass pieces from Fibergalass Specialties that are offered for the kit. I anticipate that it will be the most complex build that I have ever done but I am kind of looking forward to the challenge.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 PM
jr-dub64

Default P-38 stuff

Have fun with the build. It can get a little overwhelming so I just step away for a day or two. Maybe we can exchange ideas during our builds. Keep in touch. John
Old 10-14-2017, 02:24 PM
RCPROPSNAPPER
My Feedback: (22)

I will do that. I get the stepping away thing. I've done that many times myself.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:14 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
I've seen this plane for sale on a couple forums I think. I have trouble pulling the trigger at that price mainly because of concerns over the size being too small for 20's and honestly some negative comments on it's construction. I am handcuffed without the ability to put my hands on the model and satisfy myself over the "unknowns" and I don't see where anyone has actually put 20's together with this kit. The recommendations are much smaller. I did put a 20 in my 60 size Top Flite like you did and your right it fly's awesome but I knew others had done it and there were some serious mods to get the weight distribution right. I wonder about the 38 and as tight as it is if 20's would be just too much weight up front to deal with on this size kit.

I think I have seen some old posts for a 90 inch kit, if I'm not imagining it, that would be a more comfortable size for the engine combination. Thank you for your help because I am serious about wanting to do this project and I welcome a serious conversation from anyone with first hand knowledge or resources I can go check out.

I finally pulled the trigger on a KMP kit and I am beginning the process of deciding what mods (if any) to make as I put it together. So expect a few questions for the brotherhood as i go through this. My first question has to do with the flaps. I've seen comments (but I can't remember by who or where) that sang the praises of fowlers on a P-38. The kit has just simple hinged flaps on the center sections only. Is it worth my time and effort to design and modify for a different style of flap, fowler, slotted or otherwise?

I should add that I am a sport flyer and my interest in the flap mod is for flight and not scale.

Last edited by BigTeeEldorado; 01-02-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM
BluMiniMe
My Feedback: (1)

Default Best Gas Powerplant for VQ-38?

Whew! I've just read all 55 pages. What a terrific resource here, everyone. I'm inspired!

I have a VQ-38 coming, and I'm searching from appropriate gas powerplants. Evolution seems to have fixed their 15GX with a new pumper carb and I even found a pitts muffler. Another consideration I'm flirting with are Valley View 20cc package. My worry here is how much one would have to destroy the cowl to make it fit and how to keep it cool. I might consider a couple of OS 70 Surpass' if I could find 2 new or rebuilt. Lastly I have two OS .46SFs in my stash but those are earmarked for another Duelist build (someday). Still I'm addicted to gassers. I have 2 30cc birds, and a twin 64cc bird. I gotta say, I find them all reliable if you follow break in and patiently test, tach, and tweak. You'll soon zero in on the best and most reliable settings for your particular application.

So, my question for the brain-trust is: 15cc or 20cc? Or is the really small gas engine technology just not there yet?
Thanks all!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM
zrooster

Originally Posted by BluMiniMe
Whew! I've just read all 55 pages. What a terrific resource here, everyone. I'm inspired!

I have a VQ-38 coming, and I'm searching from appropriate gas powerplants. Evolution seems to have fixed their 15GX with a new pumper carb and I even found a pitts muffler. Another consideration I'm flirting with are Valley View 20cc package. My worry here is how much one would have to destroy the cowl to make it fit and how to keep it cool. I might consider a couple of OS 70 Surpass' if I could find 2 new or rebuilt. Lastly I have two OS .46SFs in my stash but those are earmarked for another Duelist build (someday). Still I'm addicted to gassers. I have 2 30cc birds, and a twin 64cc bird. I gotta say, I find them all reliable if you follow break in and patiently test, tach, and tweak. You'll soon zero in on the best and most reliable settings for your particular application.

So, my question for the brain-trust is: 15cc or 20cc? Or is the really small gas engine technology just not there yet?
Thanks all!
Don't know, but I'm curious about the response! I was wondering the same thing...
Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 PM
BigTeeEldorado

I've seen this plane for sale on a couple forums I think. I have trouble pulling the trigger at that price mainly because of concerns over the size being too small for 20's and honestly some negative comments on it's construction. I am handcuffed without the ability to put my hands on the model and satisfy myself over the "unknowns" and I don't see where anyone has actually put 20's together with this kit. The recommendations are much smaller. I did put a 20 in my 60 size Top Flite like you did and your right it fly's awesome but I knew others had done it and there were some serious mods to get the weight distribution right. I wonder about the 38 and as tight as it is if 20's would be just too much weight up front to deal with on this size kit.

I think I have seen some old posts for a 90 inch kit, if I'm not imagining it, that would be a more comfortable size for the engine combination. Thank you for your help because I am serious about wanting to do this project and I welcome a serious conversation from anyone with first hand knowledge or resources I can go check out.

I finally pulled the trigger on a KMP kit and I am beginning the process of deciding what mods (if any) to make as I put it together. So expect a few questions for the brotherhood as i go through this. My first question has to do with the flaps. I've seen comments (but I can't remember by who or where) that sang the praises of fowlers on a P-38. The kit has just simple hinged flaps on the center sections only. Is it worth my time and effort to design and modify for a different style of flap, fowler, slotted or otherwise?

I should add that I am a sport flyer and my interest in the flap mod is for flight and not scale.

Last edited by BigTeeEldorado; 02-15-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 AM
zrooster

I can't speak for everyone, but I suspect the interest in fowlers is more because they're scale/correct for the aircraft. That said, a fowler flap tends to be a more efficient lift adding device than the plain or split flaps you normally get on an RC plane. Of course, that comes at the price of weight and complexity...

Edit: I'm planning to put fowlers on my Ziroli mainly because they're correct for the plane.

Last edited by zrooster; 02-16-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Hi Guys, I was sitting in front of the TV last night happily typing away a huge response on my phone to your question on engine size while watching the olympics and somehow (probably a combination of fat fingers and small phone) reposted an old post without the response I had just spent an hour composing. So sorry for the confusion and let me see if I can remember all I tried to post last night.

First off, glad to see some activity on this thread. I am a big fan of gas engines and twin engine planes, even though they can be a lethal combination. I may be preaching to the choir but I can't get as excited about electric twins, I have had them and they fly great but I was always left wanting something. So on to the question about gas engines for your VQ. I am currently working on the KMP model and it will have DLE 20s in it. The Model is rated for MUCH less so I am doing some modifications to make the 20s work. Note to self...stay on target!! Which engine?? I have flown the DLE 20 in three different planes and I am a fan. I cannot say enough good things about both performance and consistent dependability It has always performed well when set up and managed correctly. I put the "managed correctly" disclaimer in there cause I know guys that take engines out of the box, put them in a plane and run them wide open the first day on regular fuel, have problems either that day or the next weekend and blame it on the engine. With mine, I broke it in correctly per manufacturers instructions, never flew it at one throttle setting for very long until I had run a full gallon of non synthetic fuel through it and it has been a great engine. Enough preaching.... So is the gas engine technology good enough? I believe yes when it comes to the DLE20. I cannot however speak with any experience when it comes to the VQ model you are working with. I switch to discussing the model because I believe much of your decision has to include how well the model can accommodate the size and weight of which ever powerplant you choose. The KMP model I am working on is not a scale model, which works to my favor for all the mods I have to do to get the larger DLE20s to work. It is physically larger in some aspects and in particular where the engines mount and I can fit the engines with some relatively minor mods and it all fits inside the cowl and there will be enough cooling. I am a firm believer that if you cannot achieve balance in a P38 without adding lead at some location than you need to rethink. I have used that philosophy in all my planes and it has served me well. All warbirds and especially the P38 are very wing loading sensitive airplanes and the addition of lead over and above the needed hardware is not good! Sooo, hopefully someone with experience with the VQ can chime in to help with that aspect.

I hope I helped and again I am glad to see some activity here, let us know how things are going along the way.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:46 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Here are a couple pictures of where my build is at.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_000006672_iOS.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	991.2 KB
ID:	2254833   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_000307630_iOS.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	2254834  
Old 02-16-2018, 09:26 AM
zrooster

Here are a couple pictures of where my build is at.
Sorry for my response...I didn't realize it was an old post. Looks like the KMP is coming along nicely for you!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:56 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

1. Blu, Have you looked at the Saito FG14? Looks like Saito's are in one pictured on VQ's home page, and talks of full scale quiet sound due to superchargers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.