Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:55 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zrooster
Sorry for my response...I didn't realize it was an old post. Looks like the KMP is coming along nicely for you!
No worries yours is actually the first response I ever got. 👍
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM
BluMiniMe
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks, guys. After decades of nitro, I cut my teeth on a DLE 31, and learned pretty quick, not to deviate from break in, and never go with synthetic oil or drop oil mix until you're convinced its well broken in. Also understanding that tuning on the ground will not be the same in the air, and with/without cowl will also change tune. Since then, I've grown both confident, comfortable, and competent in gas operation.

I've seen the Saito, and its a piece of art. I'll bet it sounds amazing being a 4 stroke. That would certainly be new territory for me, and I don't think I'm ready to go with new-to-me-tech on a twin.

That KMP looks great! and those 20's fit well. Since no one appears to have shared their experience or done a really small gasser, I guess I'll be pioneering it. Unless someone chimes in!? I think I saw an older post that said, that a 20 will overheat because there wouldn't be sufficient airflow. I think I'll wait for the plane to arrive, take some firewall/cowl measurements and compare to engine size/weights and go with what will fit. Oh and account for weight as well. It appears the electric guys have to be creative with getting batteries right up behind and under their motors, then still add nose weight. I hope to avoid that with proper planning. Really like to be under 18lbs dry.
I keep flashing back to the mid 80s and my beloved Duelist. Had it for 2 seasons, until a flameout on landing cartwheeled it... all that stiff crappy Pica balsa exploded!!! I'd mention I'm also the proud owner of an actual Duelist 2/60 kit that was kitted many years ago. I think there were only about 100 done? Good balsa. Someday I'll build that sucker.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:41 PM
BluMiniMe

I found a post from a fella who is flying VVRC 21cc's in his VQ-38: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3-P-38/page234 Unfortunately, he hasn't posted much more than pictures and a video. It appears he got the engines in without hacking up the cowl, and his weight is under 20lbs. I'm encouraged.

edit: And another flyer who got DLE 21RAs: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2274566-Legend-Models-83-P-38/page277 post #4148

Last edited by BluMiniMe; 02-18-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 AM
jbbodz

Hi all, has anyone made the guillows P38 40" wingspan kit? I would like to have a go at this and make it glow powered, I think it suggests 049 size. Has anyone done this and have any pointers?

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM
BluMiniMe

Update. So I popped for the VVRC 21cc counter-rotating gas engine pair. They are roughly the size of an .80 to .90 4-stroke, and are similar in weight, minus the ignition and ignition battery. Oh, and turns out, the cylinders can be rotated 180 degrees so muffler placement can be a choice-- as long as one rotates the piston as well. That way, porting remains as intended (confirmed by Tom at Valley View RC). I intend to configure the engines so the props rotate from outboard to inboard. Not scale, but will help should an engine flame out during flight. Also debating the install of an Eagle Tree Guardian gyro to buy me a wee bit of time should I get a flame out. I've read a few reports that having a gyro permitted the pilot to at least get their bird down in one piece. Just wish I knew how to set up the Guardian to compliment the VQ-38.

@jbbodz: You'll enjoy building the Guillows-38. I did one years ago. I considered a couple of OS .10s, but I never managed to finish it out with engines. The Guillows-38 is very light, and not really designed for RC without adequate bracing (consider sheeting the entire bird in balsa. While the Cox 049s might be an obvious choice, you'll want for a throttle, and I've never been impressed with Cox's attempt to add throttles to their design. There are some other options here in the US if you're interested.
Brodak MK II .049 RC Engine
Then there is HobbyKing: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ap-061a.html

There are several electric builds here and the other big RC forum, and I have to say, I would go electric with this one. You loose an engine or run your tank dry in a engine, and it will roll and stall into Terra Firma so fast, recovery is HIGHLY unlikely. In some builds, electric retracts were even used with electric power.

Do keep us posted! Sounds like a fun project.
Chris
Old 03-12-2018, 06:06 PM
jbbodz

Thanks for advise on that, much appreciated. I haven't had anything to do with the Brodak engines. Are they any good? Just did a little looking on the net before. I have had an AP 061, in a sea plane, which successfully pulled the plane off the water. So I regard it as a fairly powerful engine. I don't think the cox 049 has much punch however a nice common engine for parts.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 AM
BluMiniMe

I've heard good things about the AP 061. I have an 09 I got from Hobbyking, but they don't seem to stock it anymore. If you go nitro, the 061 might be your best bet, if you can get them both tuned for reliable running. John Brodak is arguably the savior of control line modeling here in the US. Being such a small niche hobby, he is the last full service retailer dedicated to all things control line. He's been in business for many many years and sells only quality products. His prices may seem a little high, but they really aren't because no one else has been able to keep a dedicated control line business successful. So his margins are necessary so he can stay in business and support those products. And he also stands behind his products. He carries "R/C" versions of some engines because those are used in some 3-line events where throttle is necessary, like "carrier landing" and such. 3rd line is handled by a trigger in the handle. I buy from him with no reservations whatsoever.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 AM
jbbodz

Thanks for that. I can appreciate that. Need to support local business to stay a float. Do that here in NZ as much as I can. The AP061 i have runs well. However it is the only chinese engine i have, because of its origin i guess it will never be anything special just a cheap motor that one hopes lasts. I figure there will be a failure elsewhere before its service life is up anyway haha. The norvel 061 would be good as hat is the genuine article.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:17 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

My impressions are that the engines Brodak sells are decent, he doesn't sell junk. The Norvel .061 Mig Mig is a very powerful engine, a touch more than the Tee Dee .049 given its Schneurle porting and increased displacement. Haven't heard anything really negative about the AP 061. It is basically a copy of the earlier Norvel. Last checked, both the AP 061 and 09 are available at Hobby King Hong Kong site, only AP 15 (actually a .14) is available in US warehouse.

I put a non-throttle venturi version on an Airtronics 36" Q-Tee, no longer did it fly trainer like, became a fun sport flier. This was even detuned through a Mecoa glow plug head adapter that dropped compression. Q-Tee has 250 sq. in. wing area. Proportioning real P-38 52 ft span 327 sq. ft. wing area to Guillow P-38 40" span come up with 193 sq. in. wing area.

Having built many Guillow kits, P-38 is framed in standard Guillow fashion ala rubber power framing, which is not stressed for RC power flight. I concur with the comment to sheet in the structure in strategic areas to add strength. Because of the light framing and the power of the .061, seems like an overkill to use two. A throttled single in the nose IMO would be a better choice, although would detract from scale appearance on the ground.

Reason why I say this, is that the P-38 is reasonably clean aerodynamically. Back in 1974, there was a 44" span Tee Dee .049 powered 2 channel pattern plane by Owen Kampen called the "Pacer" that was also kitted by Ace R/C, https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7186. The single Tee Dee was sufficient power for 2 channel aerobatics.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:13 PM
jbbodz

Appreciate all the useful input thanks for all the help. Do you think the wing area is lcking a bit on the p38? This is what i had gathered from reading on the net. Would almost benefit from a larger wing area i think. I think either way it will still fly however perhaps like a brick needing some speed to keep it up. Ideally would like to keep two engines for the scale look. Yes some reinforcing would be necessary
Old 03-24-2018, 12:40 PM
TorkRollN
My Feedback: (22)

I have a set of Ziroli P-38 gear for sale here:

Ziroli P-38 landing gear system - RCU Forums
Old 05-09-2018, 07:26 AM
d jones
My Feedback: (10)

Default Ys 60s VQ P38

[QUOTE=zrooster;12406391]Don't know, but I'm curious about the response! I was wondering the same thing... My VQ I got 2 YS 60s that pull it great with moose can mufflers 12x8 APC robart retracts
VQ Ys 60s Robart retracts
Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Glad to see someone is keeping this thread alive. There is a lot of great information here if you take the time to go back a few pages. My current project had its maiden flight last weekend and I got it up no problem with plenty of power to spare. The landing was a little hairy because as I found out later one of the aileron servo mounts broke and jammed the aileron in a down position. So after another check of all the mounts, reinforcing those, some engine thrust line adjustments and minor fiberglass repair and reinforcement around the cowling, I am ready for round two this weekend if the weather cooperates. The goal is to cycle the landing gear this time and maybe try out the flaps (witch are kind of a hybrid of my own design) Sidebar.....the new picture upload system makes them huge!! I'm not sure I want that kind of scrutiny on my work LOL

Old 05-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Zeppelin1275

Old 05-14-2018, 04:23 PM
ventom1
My Feedback: (11)

Default Legend p-38

Question has anyone used 20cc gas engine's on the legend p-38 and do you think it' to much power ? Thanks Dave
Old 05-14-2018, 05:01 PM
tuchadwick59
My Feedback: (31)

Originally Posted by ventom1
Question has anyone used 20cc gas engine's on the legend p-38 and do you think it' to much power ? Thanks Dave

Yes!!!!! Gobs of power.... And fun.... The hard part is baffling the cowls. I ran them without cowls for about 10 flights to break them in. Put the cowls on and the starboard overheated and wound up high. Had to baffle the mess out of them.

Valley view sells counter rotating DLE 20s. Synced perfect. I use those and it was fantastic. Also with the 20's, no nose weight needs to be added at all.... Balances perfectly.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:27 AM
BigTeeEldorado

tuchadwick59, how much room did/do you have inside the cowl? Mine is an old KMP kit and far from scale with actually a lot of room to spare inside the cowl. So far the temps have been almost the same with or without the cowls.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just picked this up. Needs a bit of work.. but I enjoy that part. This was built from Plans. 104"ws The plans are Colombian Model Works. I intend to rework the balsa to its perfect condition and then make molds. Power for this one will be 2 x DLE35RA I've already removed close to 1lb of solartex lol.. and still have the wings to do. You can clearly see it has been in some sort of incident.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Warbird AL

Default P-38 nitro planes

I picked up an old Nitro Planes P-38 that was converted to electric.. I must say it flies very well and lands like a dream. I have avoided electric power for a long time being a die hard gas/glow flier. Life is so much simpler with electric in many ways. Oh and this plane handles well with a motor out.. how do I know? lol I did a pass down the runway and when I pulled up I jammed the sticks full throttle... the right prop nut came loose and during the climb out the plane started a hard right wing over. I finally learned (the hard way of course) I pulled back on the power and leveled the plane out made a left hand wide circuit and landed at idle..

Last edited by Warbird AL; 06-09-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: adde pics
Old 06-11-2018, 11:00 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think any 90-100"ish P-38 is just about as perfect an electric warbird as you can get. I loved the way my modified NP-38 flew.... RIP. At 23-24 lbs, it flew on both 6S and 10S. Flew great both ways...way overpowered on 10S. Still flying my electric Yellow P-38, although not as much as I would like. Currently building a Yellow kit for a friend on the left coast as electric, with Yellow rebuild right behind that, a Baker, and then a Robart kit.... It's an illness
As much as I like the simplicity, and reliability of the electrics, I think the next Yellow will get DA-50s (something different) and thinking DA60s, or G62s for the Robart
Old 07-04-2018, 06:38 AM
gregandhollie

I have a new in box Nitroplanes P-38 stashed away that I'm considering selling to help fund another project. Is there still any interest in this ARF?
Old 07-04-2018, 08:03 AM
panhandler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gregandhollie
I have a new in box Nitroplanes P-38 stashed away that I'm considering selling to help fund another project. Is there still any interest in this ARF?
Very interested , message sent
Old 08-30-2018, 04:30 PM
d jones

Default CMW 113” span 29 lbs. ST2350s

CMW 113” span 29 lbs. ST3250s
Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

power?
Old 09-04-2018, 03:17 PM
1/2 time show
My Feedback: (78)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blown up Ziroli P-38 to 140in

Hello fellas I have acquired a huge part built P-38 from a family member of a man that has past away. It is a blown up Ziroli to 140in. I got most every thing to build this plane 2 70cc engines spinners solo props gear with wheels tires n brakes cowls I even have a canopy and all hardware with the exception of radiators that go in the booms and the superchargers.

Some one made cowls and a nose piece out of fiberglass so my question is dose anybody know who is making parts for a 140in ziroli P-38?
The following users liked this post:
lkahn4 (08-01-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.