Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

rc plane advice

Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daniel,

I think I know how you feel you want to fly and fly a warbird. There is a learning curve on them as they get bigger. If this is true a good option is the P-51 PTS by Hanger 9. It looks and fly's similar to a Warbird but acts like a trainer. If your past the trainer stage any .60 size warbird by Topflight or Hanger 9 are a good step up. I prefer a Top-Flight due to better flight handing characteristics but Hanger 9 has great products also. As mentioned earlier a P-47 is a very nice warbird to cut your teeth on due to flight, landing and ground handling characteristics.

Z
Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

You have some of the most experienced warbird guys in Owatonna! Opie and Jeff Q should be able to Help you!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 PM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Danial52 : I'm glad to hear that you are a flying pilot how long have you been flying ? and what have you been flying ?.
my avatar is a Meister spitfire it took me about 1.5 yrs to get it to that point. I think if I where you I would look at the room that you have to store a good size plane. I have a good size work shop and the spitfire takes up a lot of room . is there any thing that catches your eye that you would like to build ? that is where you mite want to start

Jim
Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 PM
SIX GUNS

Chris923: you said the JBA15 would be a good engine to use speaking from experience stay away from that engine it is junk I have one
they are not worth the money
Chris so how well do you know Jeff Q. ??
Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Daniel52

Originally Posted by SIX GUNS
Danial52 : I'm glad to hear that you are a flying pilot how long have you been flying ? and what have you been flying ?.
my avatar is a Meister spitfire it took me about 1.5 yrs to get it to that point. I think if I where you I would look at the room that you have to store a good size plane. I have a good size work shop and the spitfire takes up a lot of room . is there any thing that catches your eye that you would like to build ? that is where you mite want to start

Jim
I started off with a Clear View simulator and learned the basics of flying planes and helicopters. I bought a Hobby Zone Champ and flew that pretty good, then I bought a Park Zone P-40 micro, I can fly that alright. I recently bought a Dynam F6F but I'm waiting on some parts that I never received. I also fly a Blade MCP X micro helicopter. I've been flying planes and helicopters for a little less than a year.

Last edited by Daniel52; 01-28-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 AM
DeferredDefect

Hi Daniel;

I'd suggest you get a low wing sport model first. There is a huge difference flying a large scale model when transitioning from smaller electrics. In many ways, the larger models are much easier, but you will need to get used to the difference in relative speed when landing (appears much slower the bigger you get), and putting together a model that will stay together in the air.

There are literally hundreds of little things that can cause a glow or gas engine to die on you when flying, and unless you have had experience installing, tuning, and running small model engines in the past, you will likely have a few troubles; A deadstick warbird with its high wing loading being most likely.

There are many models that fly just as well as a warbird that you can use as a test platform first, just to get used to flying something more substantial, and to learn the fore-mentioned engine skills and model assembly and setup. Look into something like a Sig FourStar or a Goldberg Tiger 60 ARF model. They are pretty sweet ships and will give you a good grasp of the basics.

Good luck, and happy flying!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 AM
chris923

Chris923: you said the JBA15 would be a good engine to use speaking from experience stay away from that engine it is junk I have one
they are not worth the money
Chris so how well do you know Jeff Q. ??
I have 2 JBA 15's on my TF B-25 and they run fine. Sorry your have a bad experience. They are lousy 3D engines. I don't know Jeff Q personally, I have met him several times at Warbirds of the Midwest In Wisconsin. I do know he's well respected in the warbird community.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel52
I'm interested in buying a rc gas warbird. Do you guys know which planes will fit a 10cc engine?
I have the evolution 10cc engine which is a very good little gas engine. The drawback to me of the gas engine is its a tight squeeze to get all the parts in the front of the plane if you have say a 40 size mustang or spit. I put mine in a 40 size world models mustang and it took some thinking to figure out how to fit it into the plane. Plus I changed the muffler to an aftermarket muffler that fit/looked better.

Anyway I would recommend that you look for a 40 size warbird that has a round cowl like the p47, japanese zero, fw190, etc. this should be quite a bit easier to get everything into.

There is a long thread about the evolution 10cc engine that will give you a good background on which planes this engine fits and flies well.

Good luck

Ed
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 AM
SIX GUNS

Chris : what oil mix are you using?? and what prop do you have on the JBA15's ?? my exhaust fell apart the first run leaking oil all over. the tube exhaust separated at the joint and always runs rich. it will kill if it is put in to a slight dive no mater what the needle setting is set at I have gone through 2 different carbs so far. I'm glad to hear that some one is having good luck with that engine

Jim
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM
chris923

Chris : what oil mix are you using?? and what prop do you have on the JBA15's ?? my exhaust fell apart the first run leaking oil all over. the tube exhaust separated at the joint and always runs rich. it will kill if it is put in to a slight dive no mater what the needle setting is set at I have gone through 2 different carbs so far. I'm glad to hear that some one is having good luck with that engine

Jim
I run all my gas engines with Lawnboy ashless. 32 to 1. Never had a engine go bad. 100's of flights on Zenoah, DLE, JBA, NGH,Quadra. I am running 14 x9 3 blade master airscrew ( not my favorite prop). JBA mufflers are crap....I use JTech Mufflers.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel52
I started off with a Clear View simulator and learned the basics of flying planes and helicopters. I bought a Hobby Zone Champ and flew that pretty good, then I bought a Park Zone P-40 micro, I can fly that alright. I recently bought a Dynam F6F but I'm waiting on some parts that I never received. I also fly a Blade MCP X micro helicopter. I've been flying planes and helicopters for a little less than a year.

I would heed the advice of others and make your next step a .40 or .60 size low wing sport plane. Foam planes fly much differently than a 10lb fuel powered warbird, regardless of wing loading. I'd recommend a Four Star 40 or 60, or maybe a World Models Super Sports 40. Cut your glow or gas powered teeth on one of those before you commit to a warbird.

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=42
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

probably an 1100mm foamie would be the go. Forget about using a petrol engine. Inexpensive and relatively tolerant of thumb related issues causing it to revert back into a brocholi box
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Hawk131

Now that you say you have only flown micros and park flyers you really might want to take the advice to start with a low wing glow trainer, gas engines are great fun and sound even better, but there are things you need to learn before you get a gas engine as well as the size of .40 size aircraft, especially warbirds. This weekend was my first time I flew a true scale warbird, a .60 size topflite P-40 with a DLE 20. I have the GP .40 sport scale Mustang and I wouldn't recommend that to you yet either. A tower .40 Kaos would be a good low wing trainer for you, this is probably not what you want to hear, but some of us have learned the hard and expensive way.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Daniel52

So what I'm looking at now is flying an electric 3.5 lb foam warbird, than going to a gas 6 pound balsa wood warbird. Does anybody see any problems with that?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Hawk131

That is not what I said, I think a .40 size glow powered low wing plane would be a good idea. Fms make some good foam warbirds that are about 5+ lbs. I started glow with a GP stick, kaos, then a GP sport scale mustang. All were .40 size, you can do a 10cc evolution but you will need some help. If you are part of a club that would be best.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 PM
SIX GUNS

hay Daniel every body is giving a lot of good advice so start looking at what kind of plane that you would like to fly in a war bird then
start looking at a mfgr for flight characteristics or ask around you can start building and ! and ! find a good low wing or mid wing plane to fly maybe a Goldberg tiger start looking in the hobby shops you mite find a good deal hanging from the ceiling
remember the more you ask the more you learn we are all here to help you
Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM
SIX GUNS

chris do you have a part # for the j-tech muffler for the JBA ??????????????
Old 01-29-2014, 01:19 AM
Daniel52

I will need help with the 10cc Evolution? Doesn't it come with instructions?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 AM
Hawk131

Lol, have you ever tuned a engine?? Gas as well as glow engine are not plug and play, even when you set up the low and high needles, once it starts to break in you will have to adjust them throughout the break in process. Since you fly electrics I'm guessing you have never had a dead stick? With a engine when it stops it doesn't start until you flip it and when you have one is a big surprise!!

Last edited by Hawk131; 01-29-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Is there a club in your area? You could likely find a mentor that could advise and assist you through the process. I lived in Northern California for a few years and remember several great clubs that have people that would help.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:29 AM
SIX GUNS

Daniel: did you get this engine new or used ??????????????
Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hawk131
Now that you say you have only flown micros and park flyers you really might want to take the advice to start with a low wing glow trainer, gas engines are great fun and sound even better, but there are things you need to learn before you get a gas engine as well as the size of .40 size aircraft, especially warbirds. This weekend was my first time I flew a true scale warbird, a .60 size topflite P-40 with a DLE 20. I have the GP .40 sport scale Mustang and I wouldn't recommend that to you yet either. A tower .40 Kaos would be a good low wing trainer for you, this is probably not what you want to hear, but some of us have learned the hard and expensive way.
On the same lines, an Escapade 40 or 60 would work too (I have the 40). They can be considered a low-wing trainer. I have seen pictures here where people stuffed a 20cc gas engine in the Escapade 60.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 AM
SIX GUNS

hsukaria: I know what you are saying about learning the hard way I have watched guys with not much experience try and fly
planes and watch them go in that is one of the reasons I decided to become an instructor years ago
this is my 30th year of flying
Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Daniel52

Originally Posted by Hawk131
Lol, have you ever tuned a engine?? Gas as well as glow engine are not plug and play, even when you set up the low and high needles, once it starts to break in you will have to adjust them throughout the break in process. Since you fly electrics I'm guessing you have never had a dead stick? With a engine when it stops it doesn't start until you flip it and when you have one is a big surprise!!
I used to tune Traxxas nitro engines. The tune would change after the truck would be in motion because of the increase in carburetor air intake, so I had to continue to tune it. I could sort of imagine the problems a plane would have in the air, with the engine being too rich or too lean.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM
chris923

chris do you have a part # for the j-tech muffler for the JBA ??????????????
They were special order.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	b-25 down and locked 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1963232  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.