Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Paint for Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:40 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Paint for Corsair

I will have my F4u-1A ready to paint in a few weeks and want to get the paint lined up. I have clear Klass Kote for the final finish, so whatever I use will need to be compatible. Going for the 3 color version, I believe its insignia blue, intermediate blue and insignia white. Any suggestions of what to use under besides Klass Kote? I want to keep the paint costs down a bit, otherwise looking at at least $100 for KK.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not too worried about being 100% H.C. on colors. You could use std. spray enamel "Navy blue" and white. for the top and bottom,Then go to your hobby store and pick up model master FS 35164 intermediate blue. The model master stuff is pricey and might take a few cans depending on what size your plane is. I have never been able to find a close match to intermediate blue in off the shelf paints. Otherwise, one would need to get the correct FS # paint chips and have the colors made up.
Warbird paints might also have what you need.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2583.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1969160  

Last edited by Warbird Man; 02-16-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

With Go to Home Depot with a color sample of each color. They will scan match the colors in latex. Get the "sample" size jars. After the latex has cured/dried you can over coat with KK.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Go to Home Depot with a color sample of each color. They will scan match the colors in latex. Get the "sample" size jars. After the latex has cured/dried you can over coat with KK.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to add, Insignia blue is incorrect for the top dark blue color. Correct "original" tri-colors are:
NS Sea Blue FS 34042
NS Intermediate Blue FS 35164
NS Insignia White FS 37875

FS numbers are an updated system from the old ANA number system of WWII.

Insignia Blue was used for the US insignia and is darker than sea blue. Almost a blue black color. FS 35044

Mid to late war the top sea blue was changed to SG FS 25042. After the the tri color period ended they were painted overall glossy sea blue FS 15042 and diidn't bother using insignia blue color for the national marking.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Warbird Man
Forgot to add, Insignia blue is incorrect for the top dark blue color. Correct "original" tri-colors are:
NS Sea Blue FS 34042
NS Intermediate Blue FS 35164
NS Insignia White FS 37875

FS numbers are an updated system from the old ANA number system of WWII.

Insignia Blue was used for the US insignia and is darker than sea blue. Almost a blue black color. FS 35044

Mid to late war the top sea blue was changed to SG FS 25042. After the the tri color period ended they were painted overall glossy sea blue FS 15042 and diidn't bother using insignia blue color for the national marking.
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I can probably get a bottle each of Tamiya, paint a panel and have HD match it.