Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Dose history effect your choice in warbirds?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Dose history effect your choice in warbirds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:15 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The swastika was a symbol long before the Nazi use of it. I live in the American Southwest and the same symbol is a native American symbol. It isn't the swastika that's the problem, it's whats in the minds of those who complain. Maybe they should understand the history of the war before they complain. My dad fought in WWII, as an avid historian I know that brave men fought on all sides. We honor "the greatest generation" at our war bird events. In talking to the veterans who fought the Germans all they usually say is that the German soldiers were fighting for their country just like we were, as misguided as the Germans may have been, they were still brave men. Those German veterans I've spoken to weren't demons with horns, or flaming Nazis, they were just like the American veterans and sometimes best friends after the war. In Southern Colorado, about 75 miles from where I live there was a prisoner of war camp for German U-Boat crews and men captured in North Africa. Like all collections of German POW's a few were rabid Nazis, most were not. Quite a few of them stayed in Colorado after the camp was closed. I've talked to some really neat guys who served in the Luftwaffe in North Africa and had fascinating stories to tell. I build historically correct models of airplanes. Taking an ME109 and painting it pink with white polka dots may satisfy the PC crowd but you'll never see me do it! I currently have planes representing American, British, Canadian, German, Italian, Japaneses, Polish, and Greek nationalities, both WWI and WWII. By the way Stalin is credited with the deaths of 30 million Ukrainians and middle Europeans during the 1930's and Mao killed more than that with his "great leap forward" in the 50's and 60's. Stalin was quoted as saying, "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic."
Larry

Last edited by larry@coyotenet; 02-21-2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added content
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightspeed1551
Any one can build what they want, it just a model, a creative way to display history. I have a huge respect for the attention to detail warbird builders have. However even though I'm only 30 and WW2 was forever ago, I just couldn't build a Zero, or a Messerschmidt.
I'm 31 and I will build/fly the snot out of any airplane if it scratches a historic itch with me, appeals to me aesthetically or any other reason I can invent to satisfy my needs/wants. I love learning about the history of an aircraft and it doesn't matter to me what side of the lines it was on. I will plaster Iron Crosses, swastikas, meatballs, red stars, and stars and bars on any and all that require it to be historically accurate in my mind if I so desire. I can look past the specific meaning of these "evil symbols" and see the historic significance of the era and events. After all, it is the deeds of the people that should be scorned, not the use of the machine, nor it's paint job..
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When it comes to planes, there is only one type that I wouldn't build because of its history.

The B-29.

But hey, thats just me.

Yes, I have been in Hiroshima, and the mushroom cloud is too connected to that plane for me to have the stomach for it.

It was simply too effective for me.

I know, its just feelings, but there you have it. It isnt logic, and therefore, cannot be agreed upon.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This poster is a troll just check out his past comments under "profile".
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike,

I guess when you get right down to it, its a matter of your own personal choice.
Unless you are in a country that outlaws nazi symbols. Being in Ohio that is not
a problem.

As for me, should I decide one day that my pull out all the stops scale project is
going to be a Bf-109, Fw-190 or a stuka, it will have correct markings period.
I build and fly planes for my own satisfaction, nobody elses.

Seems like I've seen that T-bolt before, you don't happen to fly at W.O.R.K.S by chance?

Mike
Old 02-21-2014, 09:47 AM
TA152

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the german planes looks "naked" without the swastika.In germany it's allowed to use the swastika at museums.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
Me? Im no troll but relize I fly with a very small group of people and have goals of going to other than my local war bird events

I just have issues with have the same plane as everyone on else

I sold my top flite P47 ARF to one of my flying buddys when I when to a show and saw 4 of them there. Thats why when I found out about this skeem it struck me as different, and I did not know that planes got reused by the enemy

I have already decided on looking for a new paint skeem.

Mike

Last edited by mikes68charger; 02-21-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:47 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by flycatch
Who? I don't see anyone trolling here.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:11 PM
TA152

Who is the troll ??
Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by TA152
Who is the troll ??
What exactly is a troll anyway, as relates to RCU? I assume it's not a short, stout, smelly,ugly hairy creature, that lives under a bridge with warts all over his/her face.

Last edited by oliveDrab; 02-21-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM
kwik

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
I assume it's not a short, stout, smelly,ugly hairy creature, that lives under a bridge with warts all over his/her face.
Oh crap, I hope thats not me!!!!

Old 02-21-2014, 12:35 PM
TA152

A Norwegian troll.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Trollet_som_grunner_på_hvor_gammelt_det_er.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1970856  
Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by kwik
Oh crap, I hope thats not me!!!!

Well I may be short, stout, and ugly but I did take a bath today and I don't live under a bridge! (oops - off topic!)
Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by TA152
A Norwegian troll.

I'm sure he's a nice guy. What did you guys think of the Beowulf movie?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:43 PM
TA152

Ehh. Beowulf movie ? Hmm
Old 02-21-2014, 12:43 PM
kwik

I liked it. But you should see the series called "Vikings". hehe.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/19...ason-2-trailer

Last edited by kwik; 02-21-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Steve_P.
My Feedback: (38)

Default Other Me109s

You can always select an Me109 scheme from another country -- say, Switzerland.

Name:	009swiss09E3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1970858  
Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 PM
JoshuaDA10
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by Steve_P.
You can always select an Me109 scheme from another country -- say, Switzerland.
Or Finland...oh now wait, they also used the swastika. Is it still objectionable when used as another nationality's insignia?????
Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Perhaps you need to visit with a WWII vet, someone who either lived through or had a relative who died in the concentration camps, or an immigrant who lived through that era. I think you will find that the swastika has a very profound effect on them. Ever wonder why the Big Stik carries an iron cross instead of a swastika? It was mentioned earlier that you can't buy an airplane in Germany and probably all of Europe that carries one. If it is upsetting to those folks, it should be something you need to consider carefully. We have a young population today that has no idea of the significance and heartache that symbol caused.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Steve_P.
My Feedback: (38)

Default Other Me109s

OK ... how about Swedish?

Name:	000sweden01G10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1970875  
Old 02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
JoshuaDA10
My Feedback: (11)

OR...how about irony?

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	88
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1970876  
Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM
kwik

Originally Posted by JoshuaDA10
OR...how about irony?

Hehe, is that an egyptian spit being hot down by the israeli 109 ?

By the way, do you know whether the Israelis ever used a real german buildt 109, or were they
all Avia's?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:35 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Me? Im no troll but relize I fly with a very small group of people and have goals of going to other than my local war bird events

I just have issues with have the same plane as everyone on else

I sold my top flite P47 ARF to one of my flying buddys when I when to a show and saw 4 of them there. Thats why when I found out about this skeem it struck me as different, and I did not know that planes got reused by the enemy

I have already decided on looking for a new paint skeem.

Mike
Mike,
go with what you like. If your like me and you like "different" then go with the captured scheme for your P47. If i ever get around to doing a P38 it will be one of two schemes. 1. The one in the smithsonian that looks beat to hell and back (i like doing weathering) or 2. A captured luftwaffe P38 scheme.

Both are different in their own right. You cant please everyone, but you can start with yourself.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:48 PM
stevekott

You live in America, We are all sorts of nationalities here. A lot of nationalities that value freedom of speech and expression.

Do what YOU want to do. If you have a swastika on you German model Great!! I doesn't mean you are a NAZI and want to start a concentration camp! Smart people know that. People who would criticize you for being a modeler and building a plane you think is cool .. well they need to get a life and a hobby of their own.

As I get older I care less and less what people think of me and more and more of what I think of myself My family, friends and loved ones I do care what they think. People I don't know who want to tell us all what to do to be politically correct .. I don't care at all about what they think.

Do what you like to do and don't get sucked into the political judgement of the world. You will be happier.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:28 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I smoke, fart, cuss, and occasionally drink. I don't NEED a swastika to offend people !!! Being of Jewish ancestry, I am somewhat sensitive to the swastika, but have never been bothered by one on an airplane. My current warbird project will wear a pair of them, in fact. I just can't see a model airplane as a political statement. Anyone who does so should stay away from the flying field. As for Kwik's comment, having visited Pearl Harbor, I will never see Hiroshima as a "tragedy". Payback, yes, but not a tragedy. There are only two kinds of airplanes, regardless of nationality: Warbirds and Targets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.