Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM - P-51B Mustang - "Bald Eagle" - Building & Spec Questions - PLease Help!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM - P-51B Mustang - "Bald Eagle" - Building & Spec Questions - PLease Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM - P-51B Mustang - "Bald Eagle" - Building & Spec Questions - Please Help!!!

Hi Guys,

I have been having a hardtime getting any responses to some of the posts that I have posted. I don’t know if it’s only a few people are reading them or if the info. I am looking for is hard to come by. I have some more questions about this
ESM -P-51B Mustang - "Bald Eagle" I see there has been a lot of references to the correct CG. So I think I have the correct CG, but the other specs I could use some help with if anyone has the rest of the specs.

Does anyone have or know ofthe building specs for the :

C
G:

Down Thrust:

Wing Incidence:

Stabilizer Incidence:

High & Low Control Surface Throw Rates:

Engine Size:

I was planning on going with an OS Max 1.20 AX 2 stroke w/ a Jtec muffler in cowl muffler. I just hope it’s enough power; I don’t want it to be marginal. I do like power ( I got Q-500 Speed in my blood). Just not ready to spend another $300.00 for a Gas Engine especially since I need the retracts as well.

Retract Landing Gear:

Degrees: (85 or 90 degrees?)

Weight Capacity – ex. Robart has two 2 categories 8 – 18 lb’s. or 12 – 24 lb’s capacity. Am I better using the lower end or the higher end of the weight spectrum.

I like the Robart & Spring Air, but I need someone to recommend a model # that will fit. Most importantly which set of retracts can handle the weight load and yet fit in the wing correctly? I especially like the spring down feature that’s available on both.

Thanks
Ed

Last edited by Electriceddie; 03-02-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:12 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Starting multiple threads won't get any more responses than you've got. I'm not seeing any threads on that particular plane here in warbirds section. It seems like a rarely built bird.

I've seen posts in the past very similar to yours, but not too many responses.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
oldtimer4759

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello Ed,
I have this model, the ESM P-51B Bald Eagle, I have had it for quite a while now, lots of flights, I started off with an RCG26 running a JXF 16X10 wood prop, it flew well, but it didnt quite have it, so I put an RCG 30 in, it made a big difference, JXF 18x10 wood prop, about the same RPM,
it will fly with your OS 120 glow engine, but it wont have the performance you are hoping for.

the CofG in the book when I bought mine was criminal, it was WAY too far back, I am happy with mine, it is nice to fly, mine is now set at 105mm back from the centre join of the wing, with an empty tank, wheels down, I had it at 115 mm but it is smoother to fly and nicer to land at 105mm.

I am using 7kg digital servos, on all surfaces, I have about 6 to 8mm of up travel on low rate elevators, about 12 to 15 mm on high rate, I fly on low rate,
ailerons are the same servos, with about 12 mm up and 10mm down travel on low rates, about 15 mm on high rates, I fly on the low rate setting.
Rudder is up to you, but about 12 mm on low, more on high.
Flaps, I have found that it is nice to land with about 15 to 20 mm of travel, you can feed in more but I think it is better to land at lower settings.

I have found the thrust line of the firewall to be right, or close enough.
The way I fitted my engine was as follows,
I fitted the cowl first, when I was happy with the fit, I took it off and leant the fuselage up against my work bench, sat it on its tail, then I sat the bare engine with stand off or mount on the firewall, then fitted the cowl back over it, then I put the spinner back plate on the engine, I moved the engine around until the spinner lined up with the cowl, I had to get different length stand offs so as to get it all lined up, then carefully took the cowl off and marked the engine position,
it works for me.

As to wing incidence, have a look at it, I dont think it could be changed, without some major mods, leave it as it is.
Stabilizer incidence, there isnt much you can do here either, mine flies with about 2 or 3 mm down trim, but again, the design is already there, your model might fly slightly differently to mine, so leave the Stabilizer incidence as it is on the kit.

Retracts, I used the ESM air system, they fitted, they work, there are better quality systems available that are made to suit the kit, up to you. Take some measurements and do some research on the internet, or go to the hobby shops.
As to retract angle, 80 or 90 deg, the retract bearers are already in place in the wing, looks like they have been designed for the 90 deg units.
But put a spacer under the back of the unit so as to tilt the legs forward a bit, it will help with the ground handling. 2 or 3 mm is all you need to make a difference.

As to the Weight, my kit came in at a bit under 7kg, (a bit over 14 lbs) ready to fly, no fuel. I have 2 five cell packs for my Rx I use JR 2.4gig equipment, plus a four cell pack for the engine, all the batteries and the ignition unit are up in the nose, just behind the firewall.
I also beefed up the inside of the firewall with fibreglass and epoxy resin before I fitted the engine.

As to paint colours and stuff, just go to one of the big hardware stores that sell house paint, take the bit in you want matched and see what they can do, it will be pretty close,
if that isnt good enough for you, take the bit to a full on motor vehicle paint shop and see what they can do.

I have been flying for quite a few years, the ESM P-51 is not a beginners War Bird model,

there is quite a bit of info about this model on various forums out there, the P-51 D model is close enough as well, have a read through this one
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1141908

do some searches and you will find all the info I have above is already out there.

Oldtimer.