RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 - Saito FG84 R3 install

Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default TF GS P47 - Saito FG84 R3 install

Well guys since I saw this beauty I wanted to get one and put it on my P47. I am sure most of you saw my previous thread where I did a minor cosmetic makeover of this aircraft, now it's time for a RADIAL YEEHAWW!!!

So I started off by cutting the hole for the carb, once that's done your pretty much committed

This is what I used to make the initial cut then cleaned it up with a sanding wheel on the dremel.

Because the carb sits inside the fuselage I had to push the tank back so I made a support and a "stopper".

Here is the support

Here is the stopper to keep it from sliding forward. You can also see the carb there inside.

Here is what it looks like with the engine mounted.

Because this engine is so much heavier then the DLE I had to relocate all my batteries, receiver and power system.

Here are the mounting plates I made, simple and effective.

Here all the electronics remounted.

For now that's where it is, still need to cut the cowl, Unfortunately it will stick out, but it will be worth the sound!

I have also decided to make (well not me, but I have a buddy from the club who can weld) a custom exhaust that will exit in the scale locations. I wanted to put the exhaust ring from Keleo but due to the raised sides on the firewall (which is where it get's all it's strength from) it won't fit. So I have come up with a simple design that I hope will give me the sound of the Keleo while exiting from the scale locations.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 PM
DHC6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Had a little time today to work on the P47 today. I got as far as making the holes for the adjusment screws on the cab. Becasue the carb is mounted inside the fuselage getting to the adjustment screws is real PIA! So I used someone elses idea that he did on his H9 Corsair.

I used some very precice eye balling and a ruler to measure out the holes and install some tubes to guide the adjustment tool down to the carb screws. Seemed to have worked out pretty good.

Here is the first step of making the holes.

Here are the guide tubes glued in, I the actual tool in one tube and some threaded rod to keep the tubes aligned while the epoxy dried.

Here they are all dried, and pretty good.

That's it for now, just waiting for the exhaust and then I will make it all perminant. &n bsp; &n bsp; &n bsp;
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 AM
B-Squared

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi DHC6...Great installation and great choice of engine. That plane is not only going to sound great but my guess is that it's going to move! I can't see from the pics but is there space around the carb for air to get through? Do you know what size prop you are going to use? Keep up the great work.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:04 AM
DHC6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

B-Squared,

It's hard to see, but yes I made sure there is room for air to circulate (I made the hole about an 1/16-1/8'' all around to make sure. Plus it's all still open in the fuselage, so I don't think it will be a problem.

I will start with the recommended size of 24x10, and then I think I will experiment with a 4 blade to see how it does. So far on the bench with a 24x10 it pulls VERY strong, so yes, it will sound awesome and go like stink! Can't wait for summer!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM
DHC6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok boys, I was just about it get back to the texan when my buddy called and said that my exhaust was ready. So I had to continue with the install.

Here is the exhaust ready to install.

Here is the hole made to get it into the fuselage.

And here it is in it's place.

This is top plate, I'll use some high temp insulation to hold it in place and to protect the balsa.

And here I was just placing the exhaust tubes, they will be secured on with high temp silicone tubing that is used on RC Nitro cars. And I'll use the same tubing to make the exhaust tips that will exit in the scale locations.

That's it for now.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DHC6 it's gonna be awesome!! How's the cowl fit? Keep it going...
Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 AM
DHC6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok boys so it's all done except for the cowl. I will have to think about that one for a bit to see how I am going to figure out what to do about baffles and holes. Here are a few pictures and a few video's of the engine running.

Here are two video's the audio is ssoooo much better in person. However it does sound much better then with just the three separate exhaust tubes. Plus now it exits the scale locations and streams oil all down the bottom side of the aircraft and looks very cool!

This one is just at idle

http://youtu.be/AoB_gcBVr_4

This one is at higher power settings.

http://youtu.be/VPFixVF-iT0
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM
n8622t

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When you say baffles I understand that but what do you means about holes? Holes in the cowl?
Old 03-12-2014, 04:10 PM
DHC6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I have to figure out how to measure/cut the holes for the valve covers with out butchering the cowl. So just to have enough cut for the covers.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 PM
n8622t

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok contact wyliewarbirds.com tfarmer has the cowl problem solved ��
Old 06-13-2014, 07:46 AM
DHC6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This was the second flight with the new engine and radio system. Almost like maiden flight!

If you look closely at the tree tops you will see that it was very windy day and of course it was a cross wind. The winds above the tree tops were well over 20kts and very gusty. The landing was a bouncer, but as you can see in the replay it was sleight, no crab on the touch (or should I say, smash) down... LOL.

Don't mind the cowl, I have another and will be able to cut much smaller holes and hide more of the engine.

http://youtu.be/9xKPAhdbyHI
Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the Tarheel Hal is going out of program. Tower is down to 3. If you want one, act now.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM
DHC6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I already have one.