Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 30cc Spitfire! Build Thread, i got mine!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 30cc Spitfire! Build Thread, i got mine!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Don't get too carried away, go for the backwards part of the CG range, I'm even further back than that to get it where I want it, which in no way is tail heavy.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Dave Bugz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loukas I have quite abit never weighed it just got to 4.75 inches. A colleague had his CG at 4.5 inches and flew good but did look a bit pitchy on elevator but not that bad, probably take it out with a touch more expo. As Baracuda says it's quite conservative.
dave
Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 PM
loukos
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys
Old 01-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Guys just wondering what you all think of the fit and finish of the kit? I noticed the "reviews" on the Horizon web page were less than stunning but it's not like there are that many to begin with.

If there is a basic "gripe list" that exists on this kit what would it be? What needs modifying, essentially? I will be powering it with electric, probably Hacker A60. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Bryan McLarty

Overall, Ive been pretty happy with everything. I went with the recommended retracts and had to file out some of the mount to get the retract mechanism to fit properly. That stuff should drop in and bolt up right away in my opinion. I used the scale tail wheel bracket and had to cut it down a little. Looks great to me now. I'm powering mine with a DLE 35 RA and am having issues with where the exhaust ports come out with the stock muffler. Looking into a custom one. Finish is spectacular and sets the standard for scale ARFs to a new level in my opinion. I'm happy!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Dave Bugz

Eddie it was really good, went together well no real issues at all. If you instal retracts you need to cut away some of the ply that matches up to the wing, no big deal, but what was a nice surprise was that the blind nuts were all in so it was drop in bolt up job done.
As with any covering, I had mine built by the end of summer and it did wrinkle a bit if left in the sun, but after a few irons down it really improved. Great kit and flies great, and I think the profile is very good.
The only mod I done was to cut a groove in the cowling and install exhausts from inside to out, instead of sticking them on the cowling, does look a lot better.

Dave
Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Bryan McLarty

Shoot us a pic and let us see that, Dave.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Bryan McLarty

Anyone done any weathering or detailing? Wish they would have included a couple of Cannon blisters.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:12 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Hacker A60 and CC ESC with mount if anyone's interested. Would fit this plane perfectly. PM me if interested.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 PM
loukos

Originally Posted by Eddie P
Guys just wondering what you all think of the fit and finish of the kit? I noticed the "reviews" on the Horizon web page were less than stunning but it's not like there are that many to begin with.

If there is a basic "gripe list" that exists on this kit what would it be? What needs modifying, essentially? I will be powering it with electric, probably Hacker A60. Thanks.
Hi eddie,

I was not that impressed with the quality of the kit, especially for the price paid. The balsa is not of good quality, one wing panel had the ribs at the servo hatch all cracked length wise, the fit of the cowl radiato housing and the gus and gun prts left a lot to be desired. Having said that though the outline is very good and so are the instructions.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Dave Bugz

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1413
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	2063949   Click image for larger version

Views:	1399
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2063950   Click image for larger version

Views:	1450
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	2063951  
Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Dave Bugz

Hi Bryan hopefully you can see what I mean, easy to do and looks quite effective.
Dave
Old 01-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Eddie P

Dave that really makes the cowl look a lot better. Seems pretty simple, thanks for those pics.

Loukos, not good to hear about the wood quality and damage! When did you buy yours (1st batch maybe?) Is she flying nowm and if so, what do you think?

I went ahead and jumped in with both feet, bought one with the retract package. I guess I'll see soon enough for myself. I do appreciate the feedback and look forward to getting her airborne! Will probably do a Czech flown RAF ship with custom letters/badging.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Bryan McLarty

Thanks, Dave! Yep, that's the way to do it.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:43 AM
loukos

Originally Posted by Eddie P
Dave that really makes the cowl look a lot better. Seems pretty simple, thanks for those pics.

Loukos, not good to hear about the wood quality and damage! When did you buy yours (1st batch maybe?) Is she flying nowm and if so, what do you think?

I went ahead and jumped in with both feet, bought one with the retract package. I guess I'll see soon enough for myself. I do appreciate the feedback and look forward to getting her airborne! Will probably do a Czech flown RAF ship with custom letters/badging.
Hi Eddie,

Maiden this weekend, I also received a faulty retract which I sent back to horizon, and also bought another set as they seem a bit flimsy...

Flying wise it should be good...
Old 01-16-2015, 04:09 AM
Bryan McLarty

Any of you using a DLE 35 RA? The stock muffler exit ports seem to come out right at the leading edge of the scoop on the cowl. I'm looking at getting a custom muffler built that has the same muffler body size, but the exit ports coming out at a 45 degree angle (aft) that exit the cowl further back on the scoop. Any other work arounds?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 PM
cosmo21

Originally Posted by BobH
That pilot looks to be a Blue Box RAF Pilot. They haven't made them for some time although they do make other RAF Pilots.
Sometimes you can find one on Ebay but they don't come cheap.
Concerning pilots of about the 1/6 scale, go to warbirdpilots.com I think it is. They are very nice, and not to $$$$ for the detail involved. I have 2 now.

Name:	iphone Aud 14 016.JPG
Views:	1384
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2064469   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone Aud 14 017.JPG
Views:	1302
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2064470  
Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
teckbot

Originally Posted by Bryan McLarty
Any of you using a DLE 35 RA? The stock muffler exit ports seem to come out right at the leading edge of the scoop on the cowl. I'm looking at getting a custom muffler built that has the same muffler body size, but the exit ports coming out at a 45 degree angle (aft) that exit the cowl further back on the scoop. Any other work arounds?
What muffler are you looking at? I am in the middle of a DLE 35 RA installation, and i am "all ears" for new ideas.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Bryan McLarty

Hello, Teck!
To my knowledge, there isn't a pre-fabricated muffler that will work like I want it to. Like I mentioned previously, the two exhaust pipes on the stock DLE muffler exit the cowling right at the point where the leading edge starts at the main scoop on the cowling. The plastic extensions won't really fit right and the exhaust temp would most likely ruin the scoop.

What I believe would be best is to have a custom muffler built that would have the exhaust pipes angled back at a 45 degree angle and somewhat narrower than the stock placement. This would allow the tips to exit the cowling a couple of inches back and not interfere with the scoop leading edge. I can take some photos of what mine looks like and post them if it would help clarify further.

I contacted Bisson and they said they have about a six week back log before they could start. Might just have to get in line...��

Last edited by Bryan McLarty; 01-21-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:24 AM
Scott Douglas

Been away from it all for a while but have some time again. My cockpit kit was a disaster (long story but basically the service from the old Inzpan was crap.. sent a mix of 1/5 and 1/4 scales and stopped trading) but it is what it is (Aerocockpit never responded to any of my numerous e-mails either) but you probably wont see much of it anyway....

The Laser 180 fits nice although there's an issue with the carb being very low that I need to work on.. may look at making a remote needle...

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	1387
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	2066427   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	1428
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	2066428   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	1308
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	2066429   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	1383
Size:	564.2 KB
ID:	2066430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG
Views:	1458
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	2066441  
Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM
Eddie P

Cockpit looks great no matter what the parts mix had to be. Anyone know a good 1:5.5 cockpit out there? (ha ha..) Seriously though, what cockpit parts are guys using who are building the Brian Taylor 1:5.3 scale BT Spit? That seems close enough in scale, but of course scale being scale there would be differences in width, etc.

I should have a chance to get my Spitfire started in the next couple weeks. Going with a 1:6 scale pilot and making a full cockpit. Would love to do a sliding canopy but don;t want to bite off more scale than I'd like to chew this season... trying to get the plane flying soon for spring. Also in the middle of a large scale scratch build project. Don't need two large projects concurrently.

Please post more cockpit and build pics as you go!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Dave Bugz

Originally Posted by Scott Douglas
Been away from it all for a while but have some time again. My cockpit kit was a disaster (long story but basically the service from the old Inzpan was crap.. sent a mix of 1/5 and 1/4 scales and stopped trading) but it is what it is (Aerocockpit never responded to any of my numerous e-mails either) but you probably wont see much of it anyway....

The Laser 180 fits nice although there's an issue with the carb being very low that I need to work on.. may look at making a remote needle...

Scott, the guy with the Laser 180 in my club flew his recently and it went well, flew very scale. What he did was cut out the plate that the original tank sits on and it lowered it by about an inch over standard. Drilled a new hole in the fire wall for the pipes to exit and he had no problems.
Dave
Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Dave Bugz

Scott forgot to say he had a flexy pipe made by Laser engines which tucks his exhaust right out the way.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a dle ra in mine, the exhaust dumps right in front of the scoop and i do t have any scoop deformations because of the exhaust heat. Gets dirty from exhaust but doesnt mess w it at all.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:35 AM
Bryan McLarty

Originally Posted by predman
I have a dle ra in mine, the exhaust dumps right in front of the scoop and i do t have any scoop deformations because of the exhaust heat. Gets dirty from exhaust but doesnt mess w it at all.
Would you mind sharing a pic of your setup?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.