RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Old 05-16-2018, 04:33 AM
Len Todd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After flying it a bit, you might want to double check the flap hinge points in the wing. Mine were pulling out and they appeared good during the build.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Len Todd, none of the fiber glass hinges in the entire plane were properly prepared for gluing, you need to wiggle them ALL loose, then rough the surfaces and reglue. This includes sanding or filing the bad glue from the wood. I downloaded a video of an H9 Mustang that had the flap hinges fail in flight. The result was flap flutter and loss of the right wing panels. The only intact part of the plane was the wing panel that tore off in flight that failed at the wing root.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:58 AM
Len Todd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, ... dang! I guess I'll keep a real close eye on them. So far only one Flap has been affected.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have owned 2 H9 Mustangs, both of them had hinges come loose in flight. I lost the first plane to a right flap hard over during the landing approach, I had to stand there and watch it do slow motion circles into the trees, Everything I tried with the controls made the situation worse. I don't know if the failure was caused by hinges coming loose, or a flap servo failure. I took steps with the second plane to insure that both possible problems could not happen again. The second plane had hinges fall out of the wing panels when the new wing was removed from its shipping carton. Some I glued in back in, some were in areas that required cutting into the bottom wing skins for access to the hinges. The ones that it was not possible to remove I crossdrilled and installed hardwood toothpicks for security. I haven't any any more loose hinges since. Even the tail hinges were affected by the shoddy factory construction. The people building and marketing this expensive model just don't care. It is a fine flying warbird and deserves your attention to fix these 'safety of flight' issues. Watch for fuselage skin cracking near the wing's rear attach points, especially under the rear of the canopy. The construction design is monocoque, skin cracks will crash it for you.