Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Old 04-28-2019, 05:25 PM
Ralph White

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Went to the Indiana Warbirds at Munice, Ind. last summer. My Eflite's all retracted as they should on 1st flight. However neither main gear would extend for landing. Had to belly land. No damage. I messed with the gear but could not get them to extend. The next day I looked at the gear again and discovered a very small speck of dirt in the threads of each gear jack-screw. Cleaned them out and the gear have worked ever since. I don't really know if the problem was the specks of dirt or something else. Now I check the threads for dirt and place one drop of turbine oil or 3 in 1 oil on each jack-screw before each days flying. Have had no further problems since. I have had the gear get out of sequence a couple of times which I fixed by turning all power off and back on.
Hope this helps, Ralph

Last edited by Ralph White; 04-29-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:21 PM
Len Todd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suspect that there is a current limiter on each gear's circuit. That is what triggers the power off. If the worm is bent, dirty or dry, that could cause excessive current draw. But, … another issue could be a burr or dirty surface in the gear's pinion tracks and/or some of the jet guys have slightly rounded off the sharp point on the gear pinion track. If the "rounding" is done correctly, it does not affect the locking.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 PM
Ralph White

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Len, Good to know about the point in the pinion track. That may have been why my right main gear did not go up completely a few times.
Ralph
Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Over the years I have had the gear not fully retracting issue. Here is what I have found. My Stang travels on its gear in my trailer. This puts a lot of stress on the gear.
Make sure all the set screws are tight! I have had the trunnion get loose and the strut would slide forward and back.
Don't fly full throttle and pull up while retracting the gear.
I am still running my original gear from 4 years ago. I have only had to change one trunnion.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I made a cradle that took the pressure off the gear in the trailer so they werent knocking around on road trips. Regular trips to the field I didn't bother with it but road trips it sat in the cradle.

And yes, get the gear up before its hauling butt and slow it down to approach speed before extending them.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:43 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great comments/replies. I suspect the power down and power back up RESET the gear and we were good to go....they are very clean, no dirt that I can see.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:48 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys.
This is an old thread and I have read it all. I was hoping that near the end I would see that they released a second generation with all the fixed incorporated. I am interested in this model but dont need another headache. Does anyone know if these issues have been resolved? Anyone have any feedback who has purchased one recently?
Thanks,
Old 11-05-2019, 05:02 AM
Len Todd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't think H9 fixed all the issues and came out with a version 2, so to speak. Mine crashed due to engine failure. Engine quit, it immediately snapped and spiraled in. There was not enough altitude to get a recovery. Got a lot of parts including wings and some gear, etc. If anyone wants them they can PM me. The plane flew and landed nice. Just was a PITA build.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:39 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with Len. It could be a pain to put together. But the flying made it worth the effort.
It is easy to assemble at the field, slide on the wing tips and put to bolts on each side. Fuel and fly
Old 11-06-2019, 03:09 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Guys!