Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

...and plenty of DLE 55RA's in TF & Aeroworks P-51's. Great engine, great price!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marksp
I'm wondering if the DLE55RA + the EME on-board starter is a fit option?

Cheers
the 55RA looks like it would be a great fit. I am unsure about the starter however as it is a pretty tight fit... I have a 55 with the EME starter, if it ever gets near the Mustang I'll check it out.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

While an electric starter would be "cool", the DLE is so easy to start, it is certainly not needed.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus one. The 55 is the easiest engine I own to hand start.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

That may be true, but after using the EME starter system, TWO prop flips is too much for me! Pushing a button and watching the engine start itself (while pretending the little man inside the cockpit is pushing down on the toe brakes): COOL.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Acs_guitars

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

That may be true, but after using the EME starter system, TWO prop flips is too much for me! Pushing a button and watching the engine start itself (while pretending the little man inside the cockpit is pushing down on the toe brakes): COOL.
I agree with that... Until you have flown a model with an on board starter and servo operated choke you really can't knock it. The fun/cool factor is worth 100 bux and a little added weight IMO, but not everyone will agree.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:59 PM
sjhanc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you mean, the club flight line guys look at me like I'm nuts when my spotter drags the plane to the starting line then straddles the tail and waits for me to push the throttle trim up and then the prop starts turning and the Merlin starting sounds come from the plane. They always look amazed when it breaks into a 12 cylinder roar.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:27 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Acs_guitars
I agree with that... Until you have flown a model with an on board starter and servo operated choke you really can't knock it. The fun/cool factor is worth 100 bux and a little added weight IMO, but not everyone will agree.
I suspect, this airframe is going to require a bit of weight to balance. A starter, controller and an additional battery may be great ballast
Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Originally Posted by Acs_guitars
Same here, not only as noted but being able to start engine without help safely and if engine dies for whatever reason at end of runway or while flying. Great to have.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:55 AM
sjhanc

One of my landings at Ocala the plane went up on the nose at the end of the run out but because of the extremely slow idle rpms did not break the prop. When it dropped back on to the tail wheel and the prop was still turning I slowly advanced the power. It didn't seem to be vibrating so I taxied back to the pit gate to find that other than a grass stain on one blade it was undamaged. I moved the flight battery back a 1/4 inch and continued to fly with that prop, a Graupner 22-12.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:12 AM
Lifer

sjhanc,

What engine did you have in your Mustang?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:22 AM
sjhanc

I am currently using the RimFire 50cc brushless electric motor. It bolts right up to the DA 50R standoffs with the option DA mount from Tower hobbies. I initially flew it with the tight spinner back plate clearance that was use with the DA motor. High motor temps of 180 degrees F caused me to shim the motor for 1/4 inch clearance between the spinner back plate and cowl and lowered motor temps to 135 degrees F. I thought that this would be unsightly but nobody has noticed the change.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:30 AM
Lifer

Thank you for a quick reply!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Got my H-9 Mustang home today! First impression: Covering SUCKS. Seriously, I just can't understand why they'd bother designing a 'scale' bird and then having them do a Chinese sweat-shop style covering job that looks like someone's first attempt--or how it passed QC. What a waste of time and covering. Dear H-9/Horizon guys: Just leave it bare and let us do it if this is how you're going to ship it.

I'll post pics later, but especially around sharp curves and corners like the dorsal fin and the wing fillets (which I know are the challenging areas for a guy doing the covering), you'll see what I'm talking about. Piss-poor. I bought a roll of covering after I opened the box at the hobby shop so I could strip those areas and do it properly. I'm not whining about a few sags and bubbles, I'm talking about it looking like they didn't MIND if it looked like crap--so long as it meant they could get the job done in one hour instead of one hour and eight minutes.

The retracts look SLICK, though! I'm going to read through the manual then set them up. Be back later!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:10 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

Got my H-9 Mustang home today! First impression: Covering SUCKS. Seriously, I just can't understand why they'd bother designing a 'scale' bird and then having them do a Chinese sweat-shop style covering job that looks like someone's first attempt--or how it passed QC. What a waste of time and covering. Dear H-9/Horizon guys: Just leave it bare and let us do it if this is how you're going to ship it.

I'll post pics later, but especially around sharp curves and corners like the dorsal fin and the wing fillets (which I know are the challenging areas for a guy doing the covering), you'll see what I'm talking about. Piss-poor. I bought a roll of covering after I opened the box at the hobby shop so I could strip those areas and do it properly. I'm not whining about a few sags and bubbles, I'm talking about it looking like they didn't MIND if it looked like crap--so long as it meant they could get the job done in one hour instead of one hour and eight minutes.

The retracts look SLICK, though! I'm going to read through the manual then set them up. Be back later!
Is it open bay anywhere, or sheeted fully? The reason why I ask, is it would be nice if it came that way as an ARC, then it could be glassed and painted. They way it should be finished anyway really.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:52 PM
sjhanc

It doesn't matter, I always strip my ARF planes and recover them in a different color scheme so I don't have a plane that looks exactly like 3 or 4 other planes on the flight line. I'm going to finish mine as an electric "B" model.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

No open bays. No spinner, either. That's an optional item. I got confused with TF. I guess I'll go order that now. The gear are very nice. They fit in perfectly and operate in a very scale-like manner. The flaps are split in the middle and they fit much better on one side than the other. Looks like they actually used epoxy on some of the wood-to-wood joints (ahem, TF...)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

I was at the LHS today and the truck showed up with my Mustang. Of course we had to drool over the landing gear. Time will have to tell but they really look strong. They are beautiful. Now....on to the air frame. I also have the Top Flite P-51.....it is also new. The covering REALLY sucks on that model. Took about 30 minutes with covering iron and gun to get one elevator half to look excellent. Anyone that has worked with silver monocote knows exactly what i am talking about.

The Hanger 9 covering is really pretty bad. My first covering job was better. Pretty much just what Yellow said....kind of looks like a first day worker covered the plane. I haven't unpacked the fuse yet so hopefully it will be better. I can probably get some photos up tomorrow.

Many good features on this bird....may fly it for a season and if it survives I will strip the covering and glass the air frame and paint. Perfect time to learn how to do panel lines and rivets.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:58 PM
sjhanc

It has been my experience with bad factory covering jobs that the shrinking you do to remedy the bad job only makes it more difficult to remove later when you get tired of constantly removing wrinkles. Trying to peel this this stuff off is easier if you haven't ironed it down. I have peeled the Chinese versions off in one piece from new planes. After ironing it down it takes a lot of heat and it pulls wood up with it and leaves a lot of adhesive on the structure when removed. In other words, a mess.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Shaun Evans

Yep,

I went through the box to verify all contents before shipping an E-Flite F-4. Are these planes made in the same place?? That plane's covering job is a 9. No wrinkles and they make it look like they actually tell the workers about how you can pull/stretch the covering to make it go around curves without wrinkling.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:04 PM
vertical grimmace

It seems like in the end it would be easier and cheaper to make molds and just create these complex WW2 models out of fiberglass. Maybe not, but to have to frame all of these airframes out of wood, and then have to cover them. I would assert that you would have more control over QC with a product such as this. Maybe the tool up costs are too high, but in the end you would have a much better product.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

As expensive as these new ARF's are not only should they be fiberglass but the covering should be great/awesome for an ARF of this type.
How absolutely sad is it that two NEW owners are disappointed right out of the box!?
To add insult to injury the model is late to market AND its disappointing.

The biggest gripe I have with the general mentality in this industry is that manufacturers are willing to pass off poor products as good just to let customers FIX thier problems. Oh its ok its a hobby and thats alright I can fix it up. Do you guys walk into Sears to buy a washing machine and say the same thing? Lol, cause if you do then Im in the wrong business!

Demand better from HH and TF/GP and rest of them and DO NOT BUY THESE PRODUCTS as is. I have bought and sold more airplane models than I have built and flown because of poor quality. I refuse to accept crap for my money. I dont have time to redesign or refinish any models.

HH had it all to win by releasing a nice P-51 but not like this. For $900 Id rather buy a composite plane with some detail, not full museum scale, but panel lines and some other details. This is completely possible and well within their grasp manufacturing in China or Vietnam. Ive met with two factories and bid this exact project out. Wouldnt you rather have a fiberglass model over a balsa one? Demand better from these companies and dont accept anything less!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
It seems like in the end it would be easier and cheaper to make molds and just create these complex WW2 models out of fiberglass. Maybe not, but to have to frame all of these airframes out of wood, and then have to cover them. I would assert that you would have more control over QC with a product such as this. Maybe the tool up costs are too high, but in the end you would have a much better product.
Yes!
Take one of these and glass and detail it then make molds. You will have substantially changed the original model into your master model. Make a set of molds designed for production not just garage slap dash weekend projects so the results can be repeatable and consistent. It doesnt cost that much to do here in the US. You can do low volume handcrafted quality work and get a decent price for it.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

For me, it's mainly frustrating because they've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into making a good plane. If they've intended to beat the TF, they cleared that hurdle before I opened the box. They've gone through the trouble of designing it internally so that it could accommodate a full-depth cockpit and have a sliding canopy as stock. Why go through all of that just to eff up the 'end-game' and offer a bargain-basement covering job? Don't get my gripe wrong--I don't mind fixing bubbles or wrinkles with an iron. It's the areas where they've branded the wrinkles in on top of themselves (between two layers of covering near joints and seams). Those have to be lived with or redone. Total head-scratcher on that one....

They want $200 for the painted spinner. Umm..... nope. I'll go with the Dave Brown one they offer for $60. Still a tiny bit of a sting, but I'm sure that's only because I'm used to TF including them with the ARF and then charging $45 for a replacement. Oh well. Overall, it's still a beauty compared to the TF.

Anybody know where to get slightly shorter standoffs for the DLE 55RA?
Old 12-24-2014, 05:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

SWB has any standoffs you need or will make them if he doesn't. You can also hit McMaster Carr and get just about anything hardware related.

The retracts are cool eh? Mine probably had 100 cycles before it left the bench

Anyone doing Gentleman Jim or tossing the decals, I could use a set of the Yeager stuff, happy to pay shipping so i dont have to buy a whole set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.