Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:46 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then somebody messed up. I have looked at the pictures on the web site and haven't seen any thing that looks like yours. Is the stab in the scale location at least?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:54 PM
sjhanc

I looked closer at your pictures and it seems that the fairing does not have the proper radius sanded into it. I have pictures of full scale planes and the fairing is thin in that area. It might be easy to fix with a round sanding block after removing the covering.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by sjhanc
kalzone,
Its a good thing nobody here is using your motor or I would have to get one to keep up. There is one pilot flying a Spitfire at speeds over 130 mph using an AXI motor but he gets 4 minutes duration with no reserve. A little too tight for me. Its still fun zooming past the loud chain saw powered planes.
You must be talking about Robb out of Ocala?
Old 12-26-2014, 06:25 AM
sjhanc

I don't know the pilots name, the only time I had a chance to see it fly I had a bad landing the day before and stayed home to fix the wing. My brother took a lot of video and talked to him so that's how I got my info. I have recently joined the Ocala club so I will be seeing him fly it during the coming year, possibly at the coming electric event.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 AM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=YellowAircraft;11947150]Hi,

For me, it's mainly frustrating because they've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into making a good plane. If they've intended to beat the TF, they cleared that hurdle before I opened the box. They've gone through the trouble of designing it internally so that it could accommodate a full-depth cockpit and have a sliding canopy as stock. Why go through all of that just to eff up the 'end-game' and offer a bargain-basement covering job? Don't get my gripe wrong--I don't mind fixing bubbles or wrinkles with an iron. It's the areas where they've branded the wrinkles in on top of themselves (between two layers of covering near joints and seams). Those have to be lived with or redone. Total head-scratcher on that one....

They want $200 for the painted spinner. Umm..... nope. I'll go with the Dave Brown one they offer for $60. Still a tiny bit of a sting, but I'm sure that's only because I'm used to TF including them with the ARF and then charging $45 for a replacement. Oh well. Overall, it's still a beauty compared to the TF.

[QUOTE]

All the videos from the major RC shows that H9 was showing off the Mustang stated that the kit "Includes a plastic spinner with an aluminum back plate". Also on page 85 of the manual you can see where it was originally printed with the intention on there being a spinner included. The manual has printed instructions that have been glued over the original instructions now stating that the spinner is optional. The more I get into this ARF the more i wish i would have just passed on this one.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Maybe the spinner was one of those items that wasn't up to their standards and delayed the debut of the plane? They needed time to pull them out of the box and glue the addendum over the part that mentioned the 'included' spinner. I'm sure the covering wasn't one of those high standard issues. I have the printed manual that came with the ARF, but it's practically useless as presented. The symbols are all pixilated so you can't tell what their intended glue was without going back to the online version. At first, I gave the benefit of the doubt that they hadn't noticed, but when you pointed out that they had physically glued over the part that mentioned the included spinner, I realized that human hands have been on this booklet

More and more disappointed as I go.....
Old 12-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Johnny_Zero

I feel the same way Yellow.......I have decided to just put everything back in the boxes and shove them in a corner. I am going to finish a World Models GS Zero and then move on to a TF P-51D ARF that I have. When these are done I will revisit the H9 Mustang if i haven't sold it by then.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:08 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It amazes me that after all of this time, these manufacturers would have figured out all of this stuff. If they are not capable of bring a product such as this to market, that is up to a higher quality standard, then maybe they should stop, and not even try. Releasing poor quality does nothing but destroy your reputation, and drive customers away. For $900, you can easily build an airplane such as this from a kit. Hopefully H9 is paying attention to this thread and realizing how this will adversely effect their business.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I wish them nothing but the most success possible. Thing is, I'm going to call it like I see it--good or bad. It's just a matter of time before someone criticizes me for complaining, but like you said--we're paying a hefty price for these airplanes and it's not unreasonable to expect quality. As a modeler, there's a certain amount of poor quality I have to expect in any case where I'm not doing it myself. That's the tradeoff. The question is 'how much' of a quality gap am I willing or expected to accept. For this plane, they want $100 each for the wheels and $200 for the painted spinner. That's fine, unless you're sitting here looking at this ruined canopy or the lousy covering on the tail and wondering about lipstick on a pig. This plane doesn't deserve $100 wheels or a $200 spinner. If they'd made sure the BASIC final touches (like covering) matched the obvious RnD they put into the design of the 'refinements' (like the FANTASTIC cockpit or the sliding canopy), then it would make more sense to have BVM pricing on wheels and spinners. BVM pricing should include BVM quality, right? The switcheroo on the spinner is lame because I DID think it came with one based on the videos and such, but oh well.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh well nothing! Call them up and show them thats false advertising as you had a reasonable expectation that the spinner was included. They modified the print to say its not after the fact. I would push the issue to the point of returning the plane if they dont send you a spinner.
Again, the reasonable expectation, and especially at these inflated prices, is that the plane arrives as advertised and well finished by industry standards.
The QC at the factory has failed OR the product manager has fallen asleep at the wheel because normally this basic crap is caught by a rep from the company onsite. Thats what I travelled to the factories for and I provided plenty of documentation to the assembly line leaders on our products.
Makes me wonder if this project was at a different factory than the Corsair or if they gave this project to a different guy at Horizon, or both? The results are very far apart so the consistency is very poor for a flagship product.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Johnny_Zero

The design...cockpit, landing gear (mains and tail) in my opinion are all Top-Notch. I have a friend with an Aeroworks P-51. We are going to do a compare of these 2 air frames. Not sure if the we will post. I really don't want to have a manufacture against manufacture debate. We talked a bit today....and we both have problems with the kits that we have. I have seen the Aeroworks flown in person....very nice. Watched the H9 at WOTR.....After that and looking at the landing gear, manual, and videos.....I ordered the H9 model.

It will be a great plane some day....buy the way.....it is Huge!!!!!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It would be great to see a new Mustang comparison thread. There is no harm in showing this kind of info.
I have a kit built TF GS P-51 I bought from a club member because he didnt want to fly it. I'll post photos on your new comparison thread just to show the kit side of things.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:32 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So let it be written so let it be done! This will be a great thread!
Old 12-27-2014, 07:00 AM
Sekhet

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
So let it be written so let it be done! This will be a great thread!
So say we all, So Say We All, SO SAY WE ALL!!!
Old 12-27-2014, 07:24 AM
puncho1

yes I fancy this one as well just hope hangar9 doesn't discontinue this one

Last edited by puncho1; 12-27-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 AM
puncho1

I feel that the price tag on this should include a spinner especially considering what all is included with the Aeroworks mustang. Can't decide which one to invest in.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I talked to them yesterday about the spinner and the canopy. They are sending me a new canopy forthwith, but he basically said I was SOL on the spinner. He said 'the vendor decided not to include it.' Not sure what that means, but it left me with a bad taste. Not super happy with that response.

With regard to sanding the LE to match the fuse mating radius, I think that would remove too much of the meat on the stab. I'm going to re-cover the tail, so I'll probably just build that area up with some lightweight Bondo (or similar) and sand it to shape. Anywone suggest a good product for that?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:25 AM
sjhanc

yellowaircraft,
I didn't mean to sand the stab, it looks like the stab fairing has the wrong shape and could be sanded to the correct shape.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:00 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Just a reminder that I need the Glamorous Glenn decals if anyone is doing up the Gentleman Jim or tossing them completely
Old 12-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Actually, the stab fairing on the fuse is smaller. It'd be an easy fix if it were bigger, but it needs to be built up, not honed down.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:28 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

Would be nice if they would have spent a little more time on the rear stab joining area. Also, the balsa sheeting on the stabs are much thinner and weaker than most birds. Be careful when handling them....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2058189   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	2058190  
Old 12-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Glad I decided to wait on this one for a while.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:16 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The news just keeps getting worse.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:03 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I wasn't happy with basic fuse and wing when I saw it at Toledo. All the extra goodies are fine but....... I have been putting the correct dihedral in my TF wing for several years now. TF arf' are at 5 to 6 deg. Correct dihedral is 10deg.
H9 we eyeballed at Toledo as 5 deg. We also thought the fairing and stab placement was better than TF but still not correct and flimsy.

I'll wait for all the fix's that will come if the H9 arf survives it's initial roll out.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 AM
puncho1

Wow I cant believe the covering color difference on the tail section is this what I'm seeing or is this a camera illusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.