Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:54 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Zero
I don't know what I am going to do yet.... I purchased the Mustang from my LHS on a dealers special that came with the gear...
Wow...$500+ of included value... 'nuf said. Here's an idea as to what to do - build it, enjoy it and give thanks to your local shop for sharing the love!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:54 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Brave
Im often very surprised at just how well HH does at this business of delivering an "over the top" awesome flying product. And furthermore a service that is second to non. I myself would never make it as a new product designer in this hobby with all the experts and possibilities of things that could go wrong. Maybe that's why Carl Goldberg, ahead of his time, made such a great fitting plane because he threw so much into the first productions.
I'm not sure what the fix should be but what can be done about the sloppy design around the rear of the fuse where the stabs meet? There are other planes the HH has released with complex curves and designs with out issue. It seems that something is "off". This is NOT an issue of simply ironing out a few normal wrinkles, its much deeper than that. This has to do with the way that the aft section was formed. It just doesn't line up and I've seen two that are like this. From a full inspection, this is such a great plane in all the other ares that "aren't" seen. Why go to the trouble to redesign the whole thing, ground up, and skimp on one of the most visual areas? Done right, this will outsell any Stang on the market hands down. Please advise.....
Instead of asking someone to acquire woodworking skills to pull this off consistently, maybe this is an area that should have been molded? Too much room for error asking a human to hand carve and shape an area like this, over and over again.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by marksp
Wow...$500+ of included value... 'nuf said. Here's an idea as to what to do - build it, enjoy it and give thanks to your local shop for sharing the love!

No doubt! Any issues with that airplane I could easily over look!
Old 12-31-2014, 04:44 PM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure it was a package deal..... Not free retracts included....
Old 12-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

That's correct. The retracts were not FREE. They came in a package for a 'deal' price.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

As long as the spinner holds together, I don't care if it's metal or plastic. I've been using plastic spinners since I started flying. That's a good point about the TT spinners, and by comparison the painted one from HH isn't that bad. That being said, however, my TF giant P-40 came with a painted aluminum spinner included. The cost for replacement is $50. Before anyone chimes in with that tired old, hardly-ever-applicable meme of 'you get what you pay for', I doubt that the HH one is made by proud American union craftsmen (or any of the other justifications for ridiculously priced hobby items). I'm sure the painted spinners are made in China like everything else (including the TF painted aluminum spinners for $50).

I suppose the market will decide whether or not the spinner if overpriced. There's a Dave Brown metal spinner that is supposed to fit this bird for $60. Anyone used one of those?
Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 PM
kalzone

i have the 4.5 p-51 spinner on my beast good spinner but its not the correct shape its close but not as good as the TT

Last edited by kalzone; 12-31-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:36 PM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Kalzone

when you get a chance I would love to see pics of your canopy setup
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 PM
kalzone

the only change that needs to be done to the canopy is to change the rear blade that has the carbon pin. you will need to remove some of the two formers that are in the tail wheel hole.

in the rear sliding track for the canopy use a 1/8 drill bit you will be drilling 3 holes to start. drill the holes in the floor of this sliding track one at the front one in the middle and one at the very back right before the former. next i used the same bit in a dremel and slot from each hole and slot the former that is at the end of the sliding rail. use a drum sander on the dremel and sand the slot that is in the former now to make the slot 1/2" wide. now get your canopy and sand the top of the rear G10 blade down flush with the top of the canopy frame don’t go to far and remove any paint. mark the bottom of the G10 blade at the bottom of the canopy frame. next use a small flat screw driver or punch to lightly nock out the blade from the frame keep this piece for later. you will now need to make a new piece to replace the G10 blade this new piece will look like a 2.5 " long T make your T with the top part 1/4"tall and the rest 2 1/4" overall 2 1/2" 1/8" thick or less. take the piece of G10 you removed and remove the pin. now take the G10 piece with the pin removed and lay it on top of your new piece the top edge of the G10 will be at the bottom of the wide part of the T that 1/4" tall. mark and drill hole in the new piece use a 3/8 long piece of .100"carbon rode and glue it in your new piece. take a 6"long 4-40 rode threaded 1" on both ends fork on one end 2 nuts on the other sandwiching that bracket that comes with the actuator.

the actuator is a firgelli L16 36:1 140 mm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9929.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2059400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9895.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2059401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9892.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2059402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9946.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	2059403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9947.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2059404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9948.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2059405   Click image for larger version

Name:	3333.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2059650   Click image for larger version

Name:	2222.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	2059651  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1111.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	2059652  

Last edited by kalzone; 01-01-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Denfly31

Originally Posted by CRG
Where did you see this? On our side the retract pricing has never changed.
Guess they didn't change which is good, but I might have been thinking the retracts were a set. With having to buy the tail wheel retract also that puts them at $569.98.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Well.....I took the advise of the Reps from Horizon in this thread and called customer service about the quality issues with the covering and some really bad wood work on my fuse. I have sent back my air frame and am going to get a new plane after they inspect......hopefully.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:33 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

Well.....I took the advise of the Reps from Horizon in this thread and called customer service about the quality issues with the covering and some really bad wood work on my fuse. I have sent back my air frame and am going to get a new plane after they inspect......hopefully.
Keep us posted. Will be interested if there's a replacement, and if so, is it any better.......
Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 PM
coxco
My Feedback: (7)

I am and have been a 51 fan from an early age and will continue to be one for life. Like a fine wine its something you keep liking for life. There are a lot of them on the market and for good reason for some of us. Just as some people prefer Ford, GMC, Chevy, etc.... we pilots have the same reasons for the aircraft we purchase. I started my 51 fleet in 1972 with a control line. Royal Kit was next then the SIG Kwik Build 51 decked out with robart retracts, flaps, and everything else I could buy with my yard mowing money. I still have that one and fitting the Evolution 10 or 15cc gas motor on it and electric retracts. I always wanted the Bud Nosen giant but at a young age did not have the funds for it. I have one now but will be using it only as a pattern to cut out a little heavier wood as the vibration of the new gas motors would shake it apart. And next to last, hangar 9 being the last, are the 2 Top Flites.

I received my Hangar 9 today and after getting the box open and doing an inspection, the covering on mine is great. Even around the tail sections. I am thinking of doing a finish build thread on this ARF as I am a 40year model builder from the box or scratch. I think this is a good model to start with as an ARF because of some of the features that are incorporated in the model.

1) The fit and finish of this one is very good so far
2) The only hold up with build finish is waiting on all the parts to come in
3) The engine compartment has been coated with epoxy so I don't have to do that
4) The push rod tubing is installed
5) There a plenty of servo cut outs to play with
8) Retract installation is going to be a little easier

If this fly's as good as it should I will remove the covering and glass and paint it. It cost just as much to finish but I didn't have to build it saving a couple of months of time. This will be great for my allergies because I am getting more allergic to the balsa dust. Granted I will be going through it and maybe beefing up all the joints with glue. I don't think I have to do that but I do that with all the ones I build. Seems to help keep things together better in case of small mishaps and vibrations.

I plan on using a DLE 61 and making a scaled out custom exhaust. I would like to try to keep everything in the cowl as much as possible.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Since you've been doing this for a while you can probably make a good guess. How much weight would you estimate the process of glassing and painting this would add?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

coxco,

Briefly, as you mentioned a C/L 51 kit, did you ever build one of the Top Flite monocoque-fuselage P-51's? I entered one in Junior C/L Scale in the 1972 Nats at Glenview N.A.S. Had an Enya .35 and a J.Roberts 3-line control.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:52 AM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

coxco,

Could you please post photos of your ARF so that the ones of us that have purchased them can FINALLY see one that meets your high standards. As long as you have been building and flying I am really interested seeing what you consider to be "1) The fit and finish of this one is very good so far"

Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 01:57 PM
coxco

Hey Barracudahockey if you use thin coats of Zpoxy and light clothe spray that with sand able primer and sand that down smooth and then paint I would say 1lb + depending on how many coats you want. I use as little as possible put all the stickers on and paint over with non yellowing clear. If it needs some dull finish I use emory clothe wet and lightly go over those areas. I might even Flite metal it but not sure yet

Last edited by coxco; 01-03-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:59 PM
coxco

Sorry lifer I never had one of those but sounds fun
Old 01-03-2015, 02:04 PM
vertical grimmace

coxco,

Could you please post photos of your ARF so that the ones of us that have purchased them can FINALLY see one that meets your high standards. As long as you have been building and flying I am really interested seeing what you consider to be "1) The fit and finish of this one is very good so far"

Thanks
If done properly, it is only slightly heavier than monokote. The key is to not use too much resin and primer. The finish is superior to anything else. Will not get wrinkly in the sun and peel off in areas around the engine.
Also, if you are interested in getting good detail and scale looks (which so many warbird guys are) then you can add your panel lines into the primer. I actually find doing a glass and paint job easier than covering an entire plane with plastics. The difference is it is permanent.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM
coxco

Here are a few pictures of some of the troubled areas. I'm thinking they either gave their workers lessons or they just got better as they probably covered a few hundred of these by now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	810
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2060355   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2060356   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	764
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2060357   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2060358   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	697
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	2060359   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.JPG
Views:	760
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	2060381  

Last edited by coxco; 01-03-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-03-2015, 03:15 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got curious about this-I have two almost identically broken wing panels, one original arf Monocote and the other a heavily reinforced and glassed kit wing panel primed with automotive and painted silver. The ARF wing panel weighs 2lbs. 5 oz., and the glassed panel weighs 2lbs. 8oz. The glassed wing had it survived would have had another coat of silver and markings but lacquer paint adds little extra weight with additional coats so I think the glass finish is very competitive with film. I use a method of applying glass that involves filling the glass weave with light weight spackling, sanding, then a hard skin of resin over the spackle. Sand smooth with fine abrasives, then lacquer based primer and finish coats.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:22 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by sjhanc
I got curious about this-I have two almost identically broken wing panels, one original arf Monocote and the other a heavily reinforced and glassed kit wing panel primed with automotive and painted silver. The ARF wing panel weighs 2lbs. 5 oz., and the glassed panel weighs 2lbs. 8oz. The glassed wing had it survived would have had another coat of silver and markings but lacquer paint adds little extra weight with additional coats so I think the glass finish is very competitive with film. I use a method of applying glass that involves filling the glass weave with light weight spackling, sanding, then a hard skin of resin over the spackle. Sand smooth with fine abrasives, then lacquer based primer and finish coats.
I just glassed a wing a few days ago using Peel ply. So far it is the best method I have tried. After the ply is ripped away, the surface only needs light sanding before primer. Even if a glass job comes out heavier than the plastikote, it is far and away superior in so many ways.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:25 PM
coxco

This is something to think about. The Nosen P51 102 inch wingspan flies better when its a little heavier. Time will tell if this one is the same way.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:36 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by coxco
This is something to think about. The Nosen P51 102 inch wingspan flies better when its a little heavier. Time will tell if this one is the same way.
That seems to be the case. Many that have the fairly new TF FW 190 have a hard time landing them as they are so light. They are not used to having to get a heavy metal warbird slow enough to land it properly. The same with the ESM FW 190 D 9.
So, any concern with added weight from glassing would be unfounded, as this model would still perform just fine with that type of finish.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Had my buddy over to inspect my kit (#238) as he is far more experienced in the hobby than I am. While checking over the parts for shipping and general quality issues he commented over and over again, how similar the design details are to his Byron's Original P-51. So much so, that he's certain that many of his Byron's parts would fit with zero mods. He called it a "reinterpretation of the Byron design in wood", which I gather, is a good thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.