Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Old 04-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Ebay sells an out of program, wide voltage range servo that was sold by Horizon. Just type retract servo in their search engine and it will pop up. They work well and have a lot of torque.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 AM
old p47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else had wing to center section mis-aligment? On the right side the TE is up tight and the LE is out about 3/16th. Not sure if it is the tubes or the ribs. Any ideas on fixing this.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 AM
kalzone

Originally Posted by old p47
Has anyone else had wing to center section mis-aligment? On the right side the TE is up tight and the LE is out about 3/16th. Not sure if it is the tubes or the ribs. Any ideas on fixing this.
i had a similar problem with the left wing on mine. What I did was sand in the slot in the wing where the blade from the center section goes until it came down to flush. Mine was only up about 1/8"
Old 04-07-2015, 12:57 PM
old p47

Thanks I have the vertical offsett as well but my main concern is the gap at the LE and it is tight at the TE. IF I sand the rib on the center section and the tube is out it might not fix it.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:04 PM
nsyracuse

I had had the same problem, as well as another at my club. I had to open up the holes in the g10 slots to where they would like up when flush. If you look from underneath, you can see which way you need to go. I used a small file. Had to do it on 3 out of 4 holes. The bolts would go through and fasten, but the wing would not be flush.

Originally Posted by old p47
Thanks I have the vertical offsett as well but my main concern is the gap at the LE and it is tight at the TE. IF I sand the rib on the center section and the tube is out it might not fix it.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 PM
old p47

Ok I give it a try
Old 04-08-2015, 04:18 AM
aehaas

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I filled the holes with a dowel and epoxy then re drilled the holes in the correct position.

aehaas
Old 04-09-2015, 06:09 AM
nsyracuse

We now have two in my club. They look great in formation fly-bys! Don't have any in-flight pics, but will try to get a video of one of them soon. Both are flying great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4785.JPG
Views:	1004
Size:	776.2 KB
ID:	2087412  
Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
fhollahan

Ok, here is a video of my maiden. Did not go as well as I hoped for. Rough take-off and landing. For some reason the right main retract did not come down at about the 8-10 minute mark into the flight when I decided to land. When I noticed the gear was not down I started to make another turn to go around and the motor stopped! Emergency turn right for the landing field. Managed to put it down as soft as I could but still broke off the left side gear that was down. Have a little work to do to get it back in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=larKTGfW2jQ&feature=youtu.be Impressions:

1. It flies amazingly well and very predictable in my opinion. Much better than I expected in terms of wing load (it can almost glide at 29lbs). I was able to dead stick land from 120 or so feet up making a turn to land. You still need gear down though!!
2. I was clearly a little nose heavy on the CG and required some up elevator to keep the nose from dipping. I will remove about 3-4oz off the nose weight. I would suggest setting at the back of the CG range in the manual.
3. 60cc is plenty of power using a 23x10 prop. Thinking a 23x8 will be even better but will find out later.
4. I will test the landing gear a lot more when I get it back from HH even after I am at the field I will get help holding it up and cycle it a few times.
5. I found the spark plug was loose when I got home (not sure how that happened other than my big mistake). We think the motor was running a bit hot to. Plug loose and I should have made the top end a bit more rich then the factory setting. Seemed to be running to lean for break-in. I will look to direct more air over the motor to as suggested in this thread.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like finding the loose plug might explain the lean/hot/dead stick issue.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 AM
nsyracuse

8-10 minutes could be nearing fuel starvation with the stock fuel tank as well, but the plug was probably the issue. I have my timer set for 7 min which leaves plenty of fuel for a go around or two or three if needed.

Ive noticed that the landing gears don't extend or retract very well above a certain airspeed. I don't know exactly what that speed is, but it's not very fast. Both planes in my club have gear issues if it gets going to fast before retracting gear. The issues disappear if the plane is kept below that speed during landing gear operations. Something to think about.

Originally Posted by fhollahan
Ok, here is a video of my maiden. Did not go as well as I hoped for. Rough take-off and landing. For some reason the right main retract did not come down at about the 8-10 minute mark into the flight when I decided to land. When I noticed the gear was not down I started to make another turn to go around and the motor stopped! Emergency turn right for the landing field. Managed to put it down as soft as I could but still broke off the left side gear that was down. Have a little work to do to get it back in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=larKTGfW2jQ&feature=youtu.be Impressions:

1. It flies amazingly well and very predictable in my opinion. Much better than I expected in terms of wing load (it can almost glide at 29lbs). I was able to dead stick land from 120 or so feet up making a turn to land. You still need gear down though!!
2. I was clearly a little nose heavy on the CG and required some up elevator to keep the nose from dipping. I will remove about 3-4oz off the nose weight. I would suggest setting at the back of the CG range in the manual.
3. 60cc is plenty of power using a 23x10 prop. Thinking a 23x8 will be even better but will find out later.
4. I will test the landing gear a lot more when I get it back from HH even after I am at the field I will get help holding it up and cycle it a few times.
5. I found the spark plug was loose when I got home (not sure how that happened other than my big mistake). We think the motor was running a bit hot to. Plug loose and I should have made the top end a bit more rich then the factory setting. Seemed to be running to lean for break-in. I will look to direct more air over the motor to as suggested in this thread.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:04 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had time, retracting the down gear would have minimized the damage. But now you get to be the first to detail how to reinforce the gear mount in the wing for us. Just like the TF P 51.
I have ordered my H 9 P 51 so will be joining you guys soon.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

We will have to get ours together at a warbird meet
Old 04-14-2015, 05:51 AM
aehaas

I found the gear to be unreliable until I did a few things:
I used a 2 cell LiFe battery (nominal 6.7 volts with a load). It had 18ga. wires coming out of it.
I used 18 ga wire to the gear controller and wired it in directly. This battery has no other loads but the landing gear.
The wires from the controller to the gear wires are also a heavier ga. than normal.
The main gears come up a few seconds apart (very realistic) so the stall loads occur at different times.
I noticed that it now takes some effort to stall the gear going up or down.
Much more reliable.

aehaas
Old 04-14-2015, 06:01 AM
aehaas

Sorry double post.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:25 AM
sjhanc

Even with the air retracts I always had to keep the air speed low until the gear are up.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:29 AM
gibb
My Feedback: (7)

Hello all. I too made the plunge and picked one of these up. I am no stranger to building from plans. And, i do have several ARF large scale ARFS as well.
I do have some issues with this one as many others have stated.
The High's.
1) Nice landing gear. The programmer works well and the gear appear to well made.
2) The attempt to engineer the cockpit, gear doors, wing sections, removable tail, etc.. is fairly well thought out.
3) The kit is built well. Most formers are glued properly and it appears to be structurally OK.

The Lows:
1) All of the joining devices (tail to fuse, wing panels to center, wing center to fuse) dont fit well. grinding, cutting, sanding to gain semi acceptable fit is rediculous. It appears that they do not use jigs to assemble these pieces. But, opt to assume the fit is right if the parts were assembled well.
2) The outer wing panels dont match the center section. The leading edge is 1/16-1/8 " short, the trailing edge is 1/8 " short. But , the flap is 3/16 long. I had to sand the flap and recover.
3) the tail surfaces did not match the fuse. I Slightly bent the tube, shim filler between stabs, trim covering on top.
4) Ultracoat sucks!
5) No spinner...have to pick up a dave brown spinner and match paint.

I have several top-flight planes and never had these types of issues.

At the risk of ridicule, I'll give ya my report card..Overall, Engineering (B), Execution (D+). For the cost, I am rather disappointed. I dont think I will ever buy a H9 plane again. And, I will be buying many more over the years.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:43 PM
Acs_guitars

Originally Posted by sjhanc
Even with the air retracts I always had to keep the air speed low until the gear are up.
Same as the full scale. Any time you have gear doors you don't want to scoot around at full speed with them open. Treat them like flaps and you will have no trouble. You would not throw full flaps until you slow her down a bit.

My thoughts FWIW:
Take off: Gear up before or during your first turn.
Landing: Slow down - Half flap - Gear down - Full flap (if you need it)
Old 04-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Acs_guitars

Originally Posted by gibb
Hello all. I too made the plunge and picked one of these up. I am no stranger to building from plans. And, i do have several ARF large scale ARFS as well.
I do have some issues with this one as many others have stated.
The High's.
1) Nice landing gear. The programmer works well and the gear appear to well made.
2) The attempt to engineer the cockpit, gear doors, wing sections, removable tail, etc.. is fairly well thought out.
3) The kit is built well. Most formers are glued properly and it appears to be structurally OK.

The Lows:
1) All of the joining devices (tail to fuse, wing panels to center, wing center to fuse) dont fit well. grinding, cutting, sanding to gain semi acceptable fit is rediculous. It appears that they do not use jigs to assemble these pieces. But, opt to assume the fit is right if the parts were assembled well.
2) The outer wing panels dont match the center section. The leading edge is 1/16-1/8 " short, the trailing edge is 1/8 " short. But , the flap is 3/16 long. I had to sand the flap and recover.
3) the tail surfaces did not match the fuse. I Slightly bent the tube, shim filler between stabs, trim covering on top.
4) Ultracoat sucks!
5) No spinner...have to pick up a dave brown spinner and match paint.

I have several top-flight planes and never had these types of issues.

At the risk of ridicule, I'll give ya my report card..Overall, Engineering (B), Execution (D+). For the cost, I am rather disappointed. I dont think I will ever buy a H9 plane again. And, I will be buying many more over the years.
I assemble a TON of air frames and can say with confidence this is not typical of Hangar 9 and Horizon. Not sure why there have been so many issues with this one, but the one I built had NONE of the problems everyone is mentioning, though in full disclosure, it was a pre-production unit. I have actually had far more issues in the past with Topflite ARFs than any of the H9 birds. All that to say, I wouldn't write off the entire brand based on this one experience.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:14 AM
CRG

The Hangar 9 painted aluminum spinner should be available in the next few days.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Works great as a salad mixing bowl when you're not flying!

The spinner is huge, and a work of art.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:28 AM
sjhanc

I received my H 9 60cc P 51 this morning. In spite of severe damage to the fuse carton, everything looks OK. Now I am beginning to fit the wing parts together to check the fit.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 AM
sjhanc

I assembled the tail surfaces and the wing panels and its all good. There's a few wrinkles in the covering but my overall impression is this is the best of the 5 large H-9 planes I have owned. Now if I can get it to flying shape without a lot of hanger rash this will be my best plane yet.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:11 PM
John8861
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys,

Just to to let you all know I was able to work with Darryl and Sierra Giant Scale to develop new retracts that fit this plane. They look great and only need slight modification to the wing. Sierra quality along with a quality plane it does not get much better.
give Darryl a call and let him know that John told you to call him.
my buddy and I are building a pair of them, stripping off the covering and changing many things. The final results are sure to be worth it.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:53 PM
kalzone

hi everyone if any of you are down in lakeland florida at sun n fun come by the horizon booth and check out my mustang that in the the booth.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	665.5 KB
ID:	2091195  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.