Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Why did H9 discontinue the 50 and 60 corsairs?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Why did H9 discontinue the 50 and 60 corsairs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:12 PM
TampaRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did H9 discontinue the 50 and 60 corsairs?

Corsairs never go out of style, why did they nix both of them?

Last edited by TampaRC; 04-06-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Dago Racer13

Its all about the money. When sales start sliding they drop it and move on. Corsair's generally are harder to sell because they
are a little harder to fly and some modelers stay away from them. The die hard warbirders love them. I have 2 and am working on a
third. H9 had two out there for awhile and it was time to move on. In the end it's all about the money.

Dave
Old 04-07-2014, 05:05 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

H9 did not have flaps and scale buffs did not like it.They flew great though and did not require flaps to land,but I love the looks of F4U flaps
Old 04-07-2014, 06:27 AM
chistech

I think it's more the trend to go bigger. Just look at these pages and you will see that. As the average age of the aeromodeler goes up, so does his wallet size, but his eyesight and reflexes go down. The trend is to go bigger, especially in the IC engine category. It is a shame as I personally prefer the smaller .50 size birds and kits for their ease of handling. People like Scale Dial have proven that it doesn't have to be huge to be full of detail and scale. While most will complain about how much better the larger planes fly, the airfoils now being used have made all the smaller airframes perform like the larger ones.
I am currently on vacation and have visited 4 RC clubs and this is what I've seen first hand. I can also say that most pilots still haven't mastered their take offs and landing even with the bigger airframes and I would have to say on the average this is the issue more than the smaller airframes flying qualities. Now I'm not starting a fight about this as there are plenty of quality pilots who want to fly bigger but those pilots could also fly smaller and have no issues either. The smaller airframes got a bad rap because guys years ago built too heavy, didn't have a good grip on their flying, and the engines/radios of the day just weren't the best. Now you can buy a chinese radio, engine, airframe, and go tear up the sky without much issue with whatever size the airframe is. The smaller birds just got a bad rap from years ago like the old AMF Harleys did. Guys with still tell you a Harley is a POS when they haven't ever owned one or owned one in 30yrs.

A great example of this trend is the majority of the .50 ARF's are gone. One of the best flying brands was the Kyosho line. I still have the Corsair, Texan, Hein, P40, Stearman, and two Zeros. All these planes fly EXTREMELY well. If a pilot can't fly one of these they don't belong flying anything else but a trainer. Same with the H9 .50 Corsair and P40B (which I own). Both of the planes fly great. These two brands were also of very good quality and that wasn't the issue with their demise but are all gone now. The VQ line is still out there with a few airframes and while they fly really good, are not the same quality of the Kyosho and H9 brands. While H9 is going bigger, Kyosho has pretty much decided to stay out of the aircraft line for now. They did come out with a couple really nice larger scale airframes (Spit, P51) that were well accepted and flew really well but have discontinued them too. Like was said earlier, the market dictates, and like politics, the market is based of what is said and what is perceived, even if that info is incorrect. The majority of people are followers and not leaders. They can be talked into what ever the leaders want them to believe.

Last edited by chistech; 04-07-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 AM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

Chistech, you need to check Kyosho's page. they have a lovely new Corsair available. Kyosho does seem to be at a higher price point than even H9, but it does include flaps and retracts with air gear. And the H9 50 Corsair can still be found for sale if you look. It's pretty easy to find one on ebay for $150.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/SQS-War...P_p_23014.html
Old 04-07-2014, 04:06 PM
chistech

That corsair is brand new but a 1.20 size aircraft, not a .50 or even a .60size like the OP was talking about. If you look at all the other warbirds none are available. On the cost of the Corsair just looking at the H9 there is no comparison. The Kyosho has air retracts with scale looking aluminum oleo's. That alone is worth a $300 bill. Full scale cockpit, servo operating gear doors, flaps, and a span of 71" makes it another large scale aircraft for the guys who like big. For the $560 it's not bad at all. Not sure if the tailwheel is retractable but it says it too has a aluminum oleo.
I had spoken with them about 3 months back and they said to keep an eye open but one plane available is all they seem to have and again, the .50 size stuff is gone.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 PM
AeroGasRC
My Feedback: (5)

Dago racer hit the nail on the head. Has nothing to do with anything but MONEY they will do a run on a model make money and run to the bank when the market slows they move to another model, now they have the 60cc corsair once sales slow it will be gone too!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 PM
panhndl

Chistech, I didn't mean to really compare the H9 50 size Corsair to the Kyosho one. I was just pointing out that they finally put out a new model, and a pretty awesome looking one at that. The only thing I don't like is the air retracts, but there are plenty of air folks out there.

Hopefully this is a new trend for Kyosho and H9 brings us a new 50 size wrbird soon. I just finished up my Corsair and the P-40 is on the table!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 AM
chistech

Panhndl, you're right, it is a good thing. Actually a lot of people missed the .50 size mustang that H9 brought out. It is much more scale than their other 40-50 versions and fits with the corsair and P40. They still offer the P51 and it too has the fuse hatch like the Corsair and P40 have.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...40-arf-HAN5035

Last edited by chistech; 04-08-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:24 AM
panhndl

Yeah, I've seen it and would like to have it. I saw one for $200 the other day and even have a power system and all servos for it already. I just have to get the retracts and the kit, but I'm holding off for now. I have plenty of planes, built and unbuilt to keep me happy, but that doesn't mean I don't get on HH's site to see if there is anything I need.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
2walla

The 50 corsair flew great but should have had 100 degree retracts and a carbon dowel in the rudder. Look at it crossways on grass and it will be on its back in a heartbeat and poof broken rudder.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 AM
scoobiemario
My Feedback: (8)

I think they will release new 60 size Corsair some time soon. Just like it happened with their 47
Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I think cheap gas engines/GS planes are responsible for depleting market of small planes/engines. Most modelers beyond beginners have moved into gas engines/planes for ease of use, less mess, and appreciate that bigger fly better. A 50cc DLE gasser costs about same as Saito 100. Many of us have dumped small nitro engines over the years. Chinese ARF market allows us to get our hands on big warbirds without having to spends thousands of hours building them.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kmtranmd
I think cheap gas engines/GS planes are responsible for depleting market of small planes/engines. Most modelers beyond beginners have moved into gas engines/planes for ease of use, less mess, and appreciate that bigger fly better. A 50cc DLE gasser costs about same as Saito 100. Many of us have dumped small nitro engines over the years. Chinese ARF market allows us to get our hands on big warbirds without having to spends thousands of hours building them.
The GS models are popular, yes. But, the volume is no where near that of the smaller versions.
Engines are still made at reasonable prices for the 40-60 sizes, be they gas or glow.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM
sturmovik60

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They got rid of the B-25 also. A great flying bird.