Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Using over the counter spay paint on Warbirds

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Using over the counter spay paint on Warbirds

Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like Model Masters enamels too but they don't sell it in large amounts for the larger projects. or do they? Enamels are by far the safest paint to shoot with the drawback they take a while to dry. Clears: Unfortunately I have never found a crystal clear clearcoat that wasn't deadly to shoot. I tried Transtar Jammin Clear which is a 1k non-catalyzed and it went down fine and looked nice for a little while but over a long period of time tends to crack.

Last edited by dbsonic; 04-14-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM
clpahodges

Thanks Tom: I am building a 1/3 scale Spacewalker and do plan on covering it with Solartex. I just may give the Rustoleum a try. It comes in colors very close to what I am looking for.

Bill
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cublover
From a custom painter... My name is Rod, and I do custom show cars and bike,,,,and sometimes a plane...lol...MANY times... Dupla color was VERY good about 5 years ago, I think they changed the stuff!! it doesnt work worth a damn now!! I used it on glow and gas, with no problem, and now it seems to be a fail no matter what I do...if you wanted to paint the corsair, go to the local Jobber' Paint store for automotive. but a basecoat/clearcoat product... dont need spendy,, but it WILL work and hold up to glow or gas...if you spill glow on your car, it don't ruin it right?? well its the same stuff... "I just know how RCU is, someone will question it".. its not a spray can though... keep it clean.... for the clear,,,,find a product call 2K.... the clear comes in flat or gloss,,,READ the instructions on the can!!! it has to be activated..

http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1

GOOD STUFF for the do it yourself-er

NOW..... you CAN use dupla-color THEN 2K over it....LIGHT COATS. I would put 2 light coats on, let sit over night,,,then clear first thing in the morning.....2K will be good for 24 hours I think, again, read the can!! if you want the flat look. use 2k flat, and do the same steps... you will have one hell of a nice corsair!!!...
very interesting stuff. i didn't realize so many ppl where doing spray cans. i did my AT-6 with klasscote paints. the stuff is really tough but is very fussy about what primmers is needed and it was really toxic. i went into my booth about 5 min after a spray job and thought i was going to lose it . man ! We have a complete rusto store distributor near me . i'll go check it out ,WB_1
Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clpahodges
Thanks Tom: I am building a 1/3 scale Spacewalker and do plan on covering it with Solartex. I just may give the Rustoleum a try. It comes in colors very close to what I am looking for.

Bill
My 1/3 Spacewalker is covered in Solartex and painted with Rustoleum. I used my gun and quart cans, though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF2695.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1987093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	1987094  
Old 04-14-2014, 04:23 PM
warbird_1

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...crylic-enamel/

i didn't realize that they have acrylic's too !! that the way to go . that stuff is indestructible
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Bill

The covering is Solartex. I never prime over open bayed surfaces. It can lead to cracking. Rustoleum is somewhat flexible, so no cracking problem, when using it without primer. No clear coat was used.
really nice SW
Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM
deatonbt

I was at Lowe's or Home Depot the last time that I bought latex. There were empty spray cans on the counter with a charge unit to spray latex that were filled by the person at the counter. I didn't try it and used a detail gun from Harbor Freight with an air compressor. But it might be worth a try on a test surface. Any color can be mixed for the empty can from a color chip that you bring in. Since I don't compete, I just walked to the designer shade section and picked out some colors that matched the book that I have. I have had good success with Minwax polyurethane satin our of a spray can as protection against glow fuel over Krylon and Rustoleum. I am going to try it on the latex; mainly because the latex seems to pick up dirty finger prints easily. I have used Dow bathroom cleaner with a damp sponge to take grease smudges out of the latex on the inside walls of my house. It has worked every time without discoloring the paint. That being said, do a test spot in a not very noticeable place.
http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/Prod...m-cleaner.aspx

Brian

Last edited by deatonbt; 04-14-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The Corsair in My Models is Rustoleum over Solartex. The primer coat sanded to a metal like surface. If I could find the original photos I would post them here.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When using he Rusotleum Aluminum, I was told hat you should wipe t own after it as dried. If you should paint over it before wiping it down that your paint will come off in sheets. I shot the aluminum under all my Model Masters to simulate aluminum when weathering is done. Model Masters does pretty good when it comes to weathering. Steel wool etc. I have also taken a bottle of Model Masters to the hardware store to have them match the colors. A lot cheaper than if you were to use all Model Masters paint.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have used Rustoleum right out of the can, brushing it on my Chipmunk and it looks pretty good, however I ran into one issue, the white turned yellow. I have no idea why, but its no longer bright white as it came out of the can, and I did the wing and fuse at different times, both yellowed. But I know its fuel proof, I pour some right out of the bottle and let it sit, not one mark.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM
dbsonic

That's one of the problems, not only with whites but also clears. And it is hard to know it will happen as it takes a while for it to occur but I suspect only automotive urethanes are guaranteed not to yellow for a long while. Even a good gelcoat will begin to yellow in the course of about 10 to 15 years.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is my fw 190 in rustoleum flat white

Name:	white 190.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1987380  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 AM
smkrcflyer

I read someplace that you can't put LustreKote directly over latex paint. You need to use automotive clear first then LustreKote. Is this true?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:56 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
I read someplace that you can't put LustreKote directly over latex paint. You need to use automotive clear first then LustreKote. Is this true?
There are strong solvents in Lustrekote. In general, it's not a good idea to spray it over latex.

I haven't tried it, so do a test panel, but I'd be that if light coats of Lustrekote were sprayed over latex, you could get away with it.

Light coats, are the key words. Let the paint set up thoroughly between coats.

If using automotive clear, why would you want to spray Lustrekote over it ? You'd be spraying over a superior product with one of lesser quality.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:35 AM
smkrcflyer

Tom,
I need a finish that's glow fuel prof and flat. That's why I was going to spray Lustrekote over it.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:05 AM
TomCrump

Auto paint with hardener, is fuel proof. Flatteners can be added to adjust gloss.

I just painted my Ryan Brougham with automotive paint, adding a hardener and flex additive. Flatteners could easily be added.

Talk to your automotive paint supplier. They are usually very supportive of hobbiests, like us.

Name:	m_004.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	707.2 KB
ID:	1987431   Click image for larger version

Name:	bfjhekie3lk.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	694.1 KB
ID:	1987432   Click image for larger version

Name:	zxmsp0.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	730.2 KB
ID:	1987433  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
The Corsair in My Models is Rustoleum over Solartex. The primer coat sanded to a metal like surface. If I could find the original photos I would post them here.
BTW, back when I did mine there was a big question about Rustoleum Primer being fuelproof so I used Lusterkote Primer, Inexpensive, sandable and fuelproof.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by rgburrill
BTW, back when I did mine there was a big question about Rustoleum Primer being fuelproof so I used Lusterkote Primer, Inexpensive, sandable and fuelproof.
Why does primer have to be fuel proof ?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the auto parts store and buy plasti kote acrylic laquer. Dries real fast and is fuel proof. Not as durable as some but real easy to repaint.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
Tom,
I need a finish that's glow fuel prof and flat. That's why I was going to spray Lustrekote over it.
Plastikote laquer is the same paint as Lustrekote but not made to match monokote colors.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM
dbsonic

I think lacquer can only be applied over lacquer basecoats, latex and catalyzed AU paints. Lacquer is not compatible with non-catalyzed urethane and enamel base coats.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM
acdii

Well if you like wrinkle finish, Lacquers work great over enamels.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:49 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by acdii
Well if you like wrinkle finish, Lacquers work great over enamels.
Lacquer is tough to paint over many common paints. Latex and alkyd enamels are among them. It can probably be done, by spraying several mist coats, letting the lacquer set up between coats.

I do not agre with the comments made in post 46. I frequently paint lacquer over non-catalyzed polycrillic and polyurethane. As I said, spraying lacquer over latex is an iffy proposition.

I looked up a definition for "AU paints" and came up empty.

As with all comments made on these forums, we have to be careful about what to believe, and what is bs.

This thread is a prime example, as there are conflicting statements being made.

With paint, being safe rather than sorry is the way to go. I suggest that anyone that reads something that they like in this thread, do careful test panels before proceeding to the airframe.

Making a mistake can lead to acdii's "wrinkle finish".

Last edited by TomCrump; 04-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:05 PM
warbird_1

well i've decide to go with single stage martin/Seymour paint from napa . for 40.00 i can get a pint and a half of paint , reducer and the hardener . they can mix any color . they said it was a semigloss finish
Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 PM
acdii

Klass Kote over latex I heard works well too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.