Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Single battery ignition and servos

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Single battery ignition and servos

Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 PM
impala1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single battery ignition and servos

Hi. I want to try using a single life 6.6 volt 3200ma pack in my cmp bf-109.

Thinking of getting the pack with double receiver plugs. Run one to engine ignition (dle 30 or evolution 33) and one to battery.

Also thinking about using a dle v2 opto kill switch. I haven't run a kill switch before.

Do I need to buy something else to insulate the engine noise feeding into flight battery, as it's shared?

Thanks all
Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have used both an IBEC and direct connection to the receiver and the ignition with a single battery. Both methods have been trouble free.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Won't the 109 benefit from the weight of an additional battery mounted in the nose ?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 AM
impala1

Originally Posted by Lifer
I have used both an IBEC and direct connection to the receiver and the ignition with a single battery. Both methods have been trouble free.
ok nice. you just run the ignition plug and receiver power to switches like you would 2 separate batteries?
thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 AM
impala1

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Won't the 109 benefit from the weight of an additional battery mounted in the nose ?
I don't know yet. If I need more nose weight I have a larger nimh hydramax receiver pack 4800ma.
But it only has one plug. And it's 4.8volt. Are the 4.8s still safe to use with the 2.4 receivers. I've read they like the 6 volts but its not required?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

They prefer 6v but will run on 4.8v provided you don't pull the voltage down with a large load. Personally I prefer the safety factor of a 5 cell or A123 packs.

I have hundreds of flights on 30 and 50 cc single battery setups. Some have two outputs, one to the rx, one to the ignition. In that case you go from the battery to a switch, to the optical kill, then to the ignition.

You can also use a Techaero IBEC which acts as both an ignition kill and a power source pulling from the receiver power to supply the ignition.

Both approaches work well
Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

+1 for the Tech aero IBEC.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:19 AM
impala1

Thanks barracuda. I think ill just make the switch to 6 volt. I had a big 140 size p-40 go down a couple years ago. I was starting to pull out of a loop. I lost all control and it just went down in a very scale like spin to the ground. I never found out what happened. but it seemed like I just lost all control when it happened.
recently read the receivers will black out if volts drop low so maybe all my digital servos on that plane dropped my voltage to low for the 2.4 receiver?
I guess ill never know, but I like your idea better safe Than Sorry on the volts.

are the hydra max 6 volt packs any good or all you guys just moving on to LIpo/life packs?

thanks again
Old 04-21-2014, 10:42 AM
BarracudaHockey

Here's the thing. If you have a big battery, its probably not going to sag. But A123 chemistry is so much better, I can fully charge in 10 or 12 minutes, so I fly 3 flights and charge, and put back between 40 and 50 percent of my capacity.

Also, you can charge them now and fly them at Christmas, they don't self discharge. I always charge while i'm packing the trailer, that way the batteries are ready to get next time I get to the field, whether its the next day or next month.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 PM
[email protected]

use 2 batterys save a plane sometime
Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM
BarracudaHockey

Don't forget two engines, transmitters, and receivers as well

After all, anything can fail
Old 04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
impala1

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Here's the thing. If you have a big battery, its probably not going to sag. But A123 chemistry is so much better, I can fully charge in 10 or 12 minutes, so I fly 3 flights and charge, and put back between 40 and 50 percent of my capacity.

Also, you can charge them now and fly them at Christmas, they don't self discharge. I always charge while i'm packing the trailer, that way the batteries are ready to get next time I get to the field, whether its the next day or next month.
Ok. From now on I will buy the A123s. I still have a Hydra max 4800ma 4.8 volt. Since its bigger capacity i should be okay using it on my cheaper 60 size mustang? I would like to get some use out of it.
For my 109 and larger scale birds I'm goinf all 123. I didnt realize you can recharge them so fast thats great!

Thanks for the info
Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey

Yup, that's balance charging too.

I wouldn't see any issue using that battery in a 60 size warbird.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

impala,

To answer you question, Yes, I use 2 switches but only one of them needs a charge port.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:13 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I use a single battery in a gasser, I tap power from an unused receiver channel for the ignition / kill switch.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 PM
M3Baker

+1 on the A123 batteries. I use them in my jets and will eventually get around to putting them in the big gassers. They are also A LOT safer to store in the shop.
Hope all is well, Andy.
Paul
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM
impala1

These newer flight packs sound nice. I have a couple more questions now.

Are the life packs good enough compared to the 123s? I get most of my stuff from tower and they have a lot of life packs.

What I do like about NiMH packs- my batteries in scale planes are buried; And I have charge ports to plug into.

How do you guys charge the 123/ life packs at the field without taking your plane apart? Esp on bigger warbirds/scale planes, as these packs need balance plug hooked to charger.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Like others have said check out the Tech-Aero Ultra IBEC..
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by camss69
Like others have said check out the Tech-Aero Ultra IBEC..
+1

Why take a chance on other brands?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

impala1: I charge/balance my RX batteries through a switch with a charge port using Hangtime Hobbies accessories. Charge cords and switches start about halfway down the page on this link.

http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_packs.html

The system uses the signal wire (generally white) from the battery to the switch as the middle voltage reading for balancing. For some TX/RX systems this may be a problem if an RX uses that wire as the RX voltage reading.

Brian
Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 AM
BarracudaHockey

I'm sure others make them, but I get my A123's from WrongWayRC

He will put just about any connector you want on them.

Take my Corvus for an example.

It has a Wrongway A123 pack with three leads. One is a heavy duty harness with a Deans connector. That plugs into a Smart Fly Super Switch, the switch has dual outputs with receiver connectors which plug into two ports on the receiver for extra current capacity.
The second lead has a standard JR connector that goes to a heavy duty JR switch then to an optical kill, then to the ignition.
The third lead is a balance lead which comes with an external charge jack.
I have a Cell Pro Charger with a cable Wrongway made that plugs into the charger and the charge jack to balance charge.

The upfront cost of getting a CellPro and the charge lead is a few bux, but after that, you just order a battery with the connectors you want and you're done.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

It's a war bird not a 3D plane it not supposed to be LIGHT redundancy and reliability are more important to me. Especially when they are big and expensive (BIG anything over a 1.20 size)
JMHO
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 AM
BarracudaHockey

Well....lighter planes fly better, no matter what kind eh?

That said, if i had the choice between battery and dead weight, I'd rather carry battery.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 AM
suburban95
My Feedback: (9)

WrongWayRC also sells Fuse chargeport assembly for the balance lead on A123 packs but you need to buy the charge lead as well see:http://www.shop.wrongwayrc.com/produ...&categoryId=20

I'm sure others make them, but I get my A123's from WrongWayRC

He will put just about any connector you want on them.

Take my Corvus for an example.

It has a Wrongway A123 pack with three leads. One is a heavy duty harness with a Deans connector. That plugs into a Smart Fly Super Switch, the switch has dual outputs with receiver connectors which plug into two ports on the receiver for extra current capacity.
The second lead has a standard JR connector that goes to a heavy duty JR switch then to an optical kill, then to the ignition.
The third lead is a balance lead which comes with an external charge jack.
I have a Cell Pro Charger with a cable Wrongway made that plugs into the charger and the charge jack to balance charge.

The upfront cost of getting a CellPro and the charge lead is a few bux, but after that, you just order a battery with the connectors you want and you're done.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Well....lighter planes fly better, no matter what kind eh?

That said, if i had the choice between battery and dead weight, I'd rather carry battery.

Everyone wants things EASY FAST CHEAPER ever think that's Y this country is going to HE[[ in a hand basket. Everyone wants tha latest 100 channel radio and most can't program a simple radio, like a spectrum. JMHO but opinions are like well U know what, everyone has at least one.
Sorry but had a bad day with the phone company cable company and others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.