Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Single battery ignition and servos

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Single battery ignition and servos

Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

No worries.

I give opinions based on my direct experience, users are free to use all, any part, or completely disregard my advice as they see fit.

I will say that I put a large number of airplanes together a year and I've been doing this a while, so i'm not throwing off the cuff advice around
Old 04-22-2014, 04:45 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+ 2 for www.hangtimes.com all the info you will ever need about batteries from a guy who is an expert all in one convenient place and all the accessories too. You can use the std. charge switch with the adapter cord. I also use the RCEXL kill switch around $15 from a guy on here. A123 cells are the way to go over the Life batteries tower sells. Once you use them you will wonder why you waited so long.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 PM
impala1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know you like the rcexl opti version 2.

I didn't want to say anything because I "thought" I bought a bad one after reading replies. I ordered it the night before I started post, just saw it for 20 bucks and bought it.

I think I'll use it in my 60 size mustang with my 4.8 hydra max 4800ma. It needs nose weight so this should work out good. And I can keep my switches etc For charging. It's been flying with a dle 20. So this setup is basic, or more what I'm use to, so I'm good there.

I'm confused with the 123 setup, and being able to charge it through a plug on outside of plane. I Should say Im confused on what parts I need, one of the links had a lot of parts.

For my bigger Messerschmitt I want to run the a123 batteries, and make sure I use the right opti to avoid interference. I've looked at some of the links but still confused. Sounds like I need a new charger, Or just an adapter ? I have 2 decent lipo/all in one chargers, when I scroll through batt types it doesn't have life or 123.

Maybe if one of you has time you could just give me names of what I need from one of the sites. Lol. Forum or message.
I would just call and have one of the shops set it up, but I'd like to know what I'll be spending and what I'm buying before I call a shop. Sounds like there are a couple good shops out there for these types of electronics. Are any of the ones mentioned sponsors of the forum?

thanks guys, I appreciate the advice
Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM
impala1

Originally Posted by suburban95
WrongWayRC also sells Fuse chargeport assembly for the balance lead on A123 packs but you need to buy the charge lead as well see:http://www.shop.wrongwayrc.com/produ...&categoryId=20
Ok, I missed this. I like it. This cable runs to balance plug on pack, and the charge port is a regular receiver type plug port?
and looks like it separate from everything except balance plug on pack, so it's basically just a charge lead which is nice. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 AM
BarracudaHockey

Just a charge lead, its not a receiver plug, its a 3 pin special connector.

Look up his web site and give him a call, he will talk your ear off about A123's and make sure you get exactly what you need. His name is Richard
Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 AM
impala1

Ok thanks cuda. I will call him. what do you use for a charger?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM
BarracudaHockey

Cell Pro is the best A123 charger that i've seen, and I've seen a few
Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Don't forget two engines, transmitters, and receivers as well

After all, anything can fail
If you could figure out a way to use two Tx's and Rx's it would definitely make everything more reliable....but it's not easy to do. Using two batteries and two switches is a no brainer way of increasing reliability. Last summer I landed my 55cc P-40 and found that one switch had failed...but I had two switches so it didn't matter.

As for two engines. Most twins are less reliable than a single engine. You have two engines that can quit and twins don't fly worth a crap on one engine.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:50 AM
BarracudaHockey

Its risk/reward right? We are in warbird forum, warbirds usually benefit from nose weight so toting battery capacity around instead of lead is a no brainer.

3D guys feel the lighter weight is worth the risk of a single battery. Based on my experience with single battery setups, which is fairly extensive compared to Joe Sunday flyer, I'll assume that risk for what I feel is a benefit.

My point was, and I'm sure you follow, is anything can fail in one of these models. Planes with single elevator servos are at a greater risk than a setup with split elevators, same with ailerons, batteries, whatever.

Bottom line is I'm not implying a single battery is a more reliable or better setup, just that, properly setup with decent quality equipment, its not the doom and gloom setup that some folks imply.