Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM models price jump

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM models price jump

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
68goat
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ESM stands for Ever Soaring Models. Guess they may want to consider changing their name to ESP ( Ever Soaring Prices ).
Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ESM more than likely sold their arfs cheaper to start with to get their customers built up and name known and now they are raising their prices to haul $ it in. Its called buisness and China is getting good at it. Hobby king is taking over alot of the parts market and closing hobbyshops here and doing it with a plan.I hope someone gets it soon . joe
Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=irocbsa;11794693]
Originally Posted by joebahl

Nobody cares about your resume. You're clearly here to troll as you have no interest in ESM models. Obviously you're not reading either. Most of us have said that we won't keep paying their prices and flying their models.
You know what ,your the troll and bugging me ,GO AWAY ! You commented on my stance on this hobby and i gave you mine ,whats yours ?

Last edited by joebahl; 04-30-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:16 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hobby King is an easy one not to support. They are not really a good deal at all. ESM did accomplish one thing......They put warbirds in the hands of many, that would otherwise not have one.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

[QUOTE=joebahl;11794700]
Originally Posted by irocbsa
You know what ,your the troll and bugging me ,GO AWAY ! You commented on my stance on this hobby and i gave you mine ,whats yours ?
"I know you are buy what am I?" is your defense? I will say that I at least make an attempt to follow forum rules, one of which is to stay on topic and not derail a thread with self aggrandizing statements that are irrelevant to the original subject of the thread. I will not "go away" as this topic directly affects me. I'm not sure why you continue posting as you have clearly stated that you are too smart, wealthy, and skillful to bother with ARFs.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by invertmast
6 months to build is nothing. Just ask that guy who has been waiting for a replacement Esm wing panel for his 190 for 8 months now. You could of Built the entire model and been flying by now!

I was actually hoping to pickup an esm fw190D or the DO335 for a quick build to get flying for this summer, but after seeing the price hike, not interesed, i can build a better and nicer model for slightly more $$$.
Your right Thomas. Low priority, and been busy with other projects...I know you know what that is like

It will sit there until I feel motivated to build a new wing, or TBM actually gets some spares from China
Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Your right Thomas. Low priority, and been busy with other projects...I know you know what that is like

It will sit there until I feel motivated to build a new wing, or TBM actually gets some spares from China
So if you could not build a wing, and you cannot get a replacement, what do you do? Trash can?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM
70 ragtop

Good question. Ribs cores are laser cut (inside for lightening), so there is really nothing to them. Tree jumps in front of the plane, just a pile of splinters left inside the covering. Tuff to put the puzzle back together quickly. Once I saw it was going to be more than a couple night repair job, I set it aside. Worth it to me to pay the $80 for a wing and be done with it, of coarse I said that in the fall, going into 6 months of no flying
Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 PM
kochj

Originally Posted by JeffH
This will be happening more and more in my opinion. The Chinese EPA is starting to make companies clean up, shipping is not getting any cheaper across the oceans, and the Chinese people are only going to work for pennies an hour for so long.

I have been saying this for years...
China is in very similar economic situation as Japan was in the 70's The big difference is the Japan Culture. =. promotes perfection...

The answer.... Move out of China, and go to Vietnam or were ever Seagull Models is located.... That is one way to combat prices....

Just sayn..
Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Good question. Ribs cores are laser cut (inside for lightening), so there is really nothing to them. Tree jumps in front of the plane, just a pile of splinters left inside the covering. Tuff to put the puzzle back together quickly. Once I saw it was going to be more than a couple night repair job, I set it aside. Worth it to me to pay the $80 for a wing and be done with it, of coarse I said that in the fall, going into 6 months of no flying
Maybe get a Holman wing kit.They are not that much. It is around 80" , and could be used for the A or the D. Not sure which size or model yours is. The available plan could be blown up or down I am sure to get the size you need.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM
kochj

If you have to replace hardware, it adds up fast. The one thing ESM has going for it's brand, A wide range of warbirds..... They have almost ALL the major WWII planes in a 1.20-50cc size.
No one else does this...
Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM
70 ragtop

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Maybe get a Holman wing kit.They are not that much. It is around 80" , and could be used for the A or the D. Not sure which size or model yours is. The available plan could be blown up or down I am sure to get the size you need.
Good idea
I have both, but the Anton is the one that needs the wing. One of the nice things about kit built, you have the plans and templates. Makes it sooooo much easier to make replacement parts.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:36 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

I don't believe the price increase comes due to the manufacturer. I feel its some silly strategy from Troy built models or people on their end. Somehow, I'm thinking they feel as if its a comparable product, price wise, to the Top Flite or Hangar 9 brands which its definitely not! I was considering their 50cc 109 but will take a turn and get the more advanced Hangar 9 60CC mustang instead! The cost will be about the same in the end, but I will be flying in less time with a more advanced model. I noticed the price hike comes conveniently before the season when modelers tend to do more spending as well. At the end of the day we are taking about a China made product here, same as it ever was, cheap! I remember when ESM switched to Troy Built Models for importing their product, the prices fell nearly in half, the new importer selects the pricing users will pay, not ESM. I think Troy built models are pretty much taking the ESM product down the same road that KMP has. The only selling point of an ESM model is supposed to be the price, since hardware, design and time to get it up flying is definitely not its selling points. They are just nicely painted average quality glass fuses, which is by the way what attracts most of us. I never felt they are on par with either Top Flite or Hangar 9 arf's because of the amount of additional spending and time involved to make them into an appreciable flying model and really wouldn't refer to them as ARF's. You will be spending more time and evidently money now doing an ESM model, something many modelers don't stop to consider when choosing this brand. Perhaps when a new competitive importer for the ESM product comes along you will see prices drop again. In the mean time I'll just wait on the 50CC 109 and do one of those newer warbird ARF's while Darwin hurrys up and does his thing. Top Flite or Hangar 9 this time for sure.

Last edited by Tisoy909; 05-01-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 AM
vertical grimmace

Also, if the buyers of such products rely on the inadequate hardware that is supplied with most of these models, there is a good likelihood there will be a failure. Unless the pilot knows better.

The AMA used to give all of us members a rule book each year. This contained proper control terminations under the General R/C. Following these guidelines would not be possible with what is supplied with most ARF's.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Sorry to hear that for some folks, but no problem here. Quit buying ESM, ECOMRC and KMP couple years ago. Got fed up with paying for a good looking 'shell', then buying all new hardware and spending 2x the build time getting defects corrected. By the 3rd - 4th one, it became apparent to me that I wasn't getting lemons, that's just how they are! Still have a KMP Adam A500 that heck, I may never be able to get the thing finished. Only reason hang on to it because its so unique and so few were sold, and fewer yet flying, .. eventually I hope to get it done, but good night what a train-wreck of quality it is. And I will say that the ESM / ECOMRC planes, when done, were damned nice looking, just too many woes getting there. Taking time from ARF's to teach myself how to build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wilga.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1991693  
Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Warbird AL
My Feedback: (10)

It has been a long time since I did any real building. I was about to buy the Me 110, but hence the original post here... I decided to buy the G&L P-38 and learn how to build all over again.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Its the sign of the times I guess, I currently building an ESM B25 and its huge compaired to the Hanger 9 B25 I had before this one. While I had an ESM 74in Corsair, and loved it untill it died one day.

Im worried that ESM may be on the way out.

Look at NitroPlanes and the CMP modles wich are like lower grade ESM modles wich are almost unatainable now.

I went with the ESM B25 as it offered the only thing TopFlite and Hanger 9 could not, and that was a composit modle of a B25 with no monacoat, wich I cant stand.

I got 3 TF Gaint war birds and I wish they would use the solortex fabric that ESM uses.

But I have to admit I had to pay $145 dollars for shipping from FL (TBM) to Columbus OH wich was a lot to take.....

I think ESM may be putting them selfs in a bad place, becouse as much as I don't like a TF balsa modle, I have yet to see another ESM war bird at any of the local shows I have attended. As to me the TF Balsa modles are great to learn with, then once you have flown it for a year or two and it starts looking bad, you just fiberglass it and you got a whole new bird.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 AM
LarsL

If from the numerous posts is seems clear that ESM pricing is making them a non option for almost everyone who has posted and the folks who suggest building as an alternative are labeled as trols and they should go away, what is the objective of this thread? I do of course recognize that many cannot build for variouse reasons. So it seems clear that the options are to pay the ESM prices, try other ARFs (TF, H9, others?) at the same price or a bit more, or build. Perhaps the objective is to ID all of the options in the ESM size range? That might be helpfull.

As has been pointed out, costs from some of these low cost countries are going up and this thread could discuss the dynamics of that which a couple of posts have. That is the way it went with Japan and it will continue to do so.

By the way, I like to build and family/outside interests do slow my builds but that is OK because I also have ARF's. Both work for me.

Lars
Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 PM
vertical grimmace

Also, as difficult as it may be for some to understand, flying is not the only aspect of this hobby. Growing up, my dad was always building something, and he his directly responsible for teaching me how to build. He never flew an airplane in his life. So for me personally, building is at least half of the fun. Then at least 25% more is seeing what I built does in the air. So when I go the ARF route, a large part of my hobby experience is absent.

I understand though, that most do not have the space or tools, or a plethora of other reasons why building is not for them. One thing is for sure though, if you want a truly high quality warbird, it is the only option. Unless you pay someone to build one for you. That would make ESM prices look like a steal I am guessing.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, as difficult as it may be for some to understand, flying is not the only aspect of this hobby. Growing up, my dad was always building something, and he his directly responsible for teaching me how to build. He never flew an airplane in his life. So for me personally, building is at least half of the fun. Then at least 25% more is seeing what I built does in the air. So when I go the ARF route, a large part of my hobby experience is absent.

I understand though, that most do not have the space or tools, or a plethora of other reasons why building is not for them. One thing is for sure though, if you want a truly high quality warbird, it is the only option. Unless you pay someone to build one for you. That would make ESM prices look like a steal I am guessing.
Agree 100%
Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Muttdog

I think a rise in prices of ARFs will be the norm and not the exception. Perhaps it is due to ESM wanting to make more per model but most likely it has to do with rising labor costs in China. As they grow over there, they want the good life like we do and start wanting better pay. That's just how it goes. Add in higher fuel costs for shipping higher tarrifs from greedy governments etc. and the price only goes in one direction. I have seen several manufacturers talking about this. Redwing even has a video posted on their site talking about it.

As for the post before about all sites showing the same price it is called a M.A.P. price (minimum advertised price). I am a retailer and know all to well about MAP policies with vendors. While no manufacturer can tell me what to sell an item for in USA, they can tell me how much I can advertise it for. An advertised price is not the sale price and if I don't follow the MAP policy, I will lose my wholesale account with the vendor. To be honest MAP prices really help the smaller guys as we cannot always compete with the bargain box stores but if we all have to advertise at the same price then it levels the playing field. From the manufacturers point of view it reduces the chance of sellers "cheapening" the brand by blowing it out for rock bottom prices.

I am always impressed by those who can build. My Father in Law is a competition level builder (flying not so much) and he really enjoys it. I could tell you all how I work 60 plus hours a week, have another hobby that takes up more time (Motocross) have a family to raise etc but the truth is I like flying, not building. If building was what I wanted to do then I would do it but that is just not interesting to me. Standing over a bench gluing sticks together is just not everyone's thing. I have tried it and almost completed a Senior Kadet but lost interest 3/4 of the way through. It seems as though there are a lot of different avenues to persue in this hobby and that is what makes it great. What most don't realize is that ARF's have fueled so much of the new products released and the advances in engines, radios etc can be directly attributed to ARF dollars coming in and that benefits everyone. Kind of the same thing we are seeing now with drones. I hate them but glad my LHS is keeping his doors open by selling them to a whole new customer. Ok hate is strong but their not my taste
Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 PM
GerKonig

I bet most of your hobby time is spent building and a small sliver of the pie actually at the field flying. I see nothing wrong with that. Last year I almost just flew:-) This year, most of the hobby time so far was spent building. I do not think it matters as long as you are having fun...

Gerry

Last edited by GerKonig; 05-01-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 05-01-2014, 12:35 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Radical Departure
Sorry to hear that for some folks, but no problem here. Quit buying ESM, ECOMRC and KMP couple years ago. Got fed up with paying for a good looking 'shell', then buying all new hardware and spending 2x the build time getting defects corrected. By the 3rd - 4th one, it became apparent to me that I wasn't getting lemons, that's just how they are! Still have a KMP Adam A500 that heck, I may never be able to get the thing finished. Only reason hang on to it because its so unique and so few were sold, and fewer yet flying, .. eventually I hope to get it done, but good night what a train-wreck of quality it is. And I will say that the ESM / ECOMRC planes, when done, were damned nice looking, just too many woes getting there. Taking time from ARF's to teach myself how to build.
Nice Wilga:-)

Gerry
Old 05-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks Gerry!
As to the building stuff, good for some and not so good for others. For me, I'm messing with it for 2 reasons; one, nothing really new coming out, what is out seems to be rehashes of same planes, but that's understandable because vendors want to cater to as wide a group as possible. Two, it seemed like the next logical step for me. Been flying ARF's for a number of years, and frankly was getting a bit bored, so building seems like a reasonable next step. But to get back in the vein of the topic, even with some slight price increases, ARF's will still remain popular, its the damned shipping that personally makes me grit my teeth. If I see an ARF I want bad enough, I'll find a way to get it, but tack on another 100.00-200.00 to get it here and I start questioning how bad I want it. Is building cheaper? IMHO.. hell no. Pop a few hundred on a short kit, the wood to construct with, the tools/materials to build with, THEN covering, engine, electronics and so forth.. and we haven't even talked about time. Guess it depends on how quick one wants something. I'm still buying ARF's, just not as many, the ESM's of the world are at the point of asking too much for too little. Maybe its time for an ARF shakeup, bring some quality back into the game. Or maybe I'm being too subjective and quality or lack thereof means different things to different people. Its still all good to me, whatever works for a person.. At the end of my day... Still so many planes to explore... so little time and coin... LOL!!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Exactly. It's not that I try to avoid "free" labor (my own) and would love to save some money on building a kit, but I simply don't want to make the investment in the implements of kit building. I figured once that my labor on building a nice warbird kit would be less than $1/hour. Factor in all the tools that I'll have to invest in and it would be less than that. At that point, it becomes a time vs. money choice. It's more than worth it to me to spend the $300 extra to buy the ARF and have the 300 hours of time to do other things. I bet a lot of people make a similar choice when it comes to repairing their cars. Could you rebuild your engine if you invested the time in educating yourself and buying all the tools? Sure, I bet most guys on this forum could figure it out, but it's not worth it to you. In that case, it is worth it to me. I somewhat enjoy it as well (less as I get older). I have accumulated all the tools from years of being in the automotive hobby and I can fix or modify just about anything for a fraction of the cost of what a shop would charge me, but for most people they'll pay to have that aggravation taken off their plate.

So, I do completely understand and appreciate the guys that kit build. It's a labor of love and a money saving venture as well. However, those of us that don't are not lazy or incapable. It's simply a practical choice for better or worse.

The great thing about ESM was that I'm sure they practically forced manufacturers like Top Flite and Hangar 9 to produce something other than Corsairs and Mustangs. The TF Fw-190 and H9 Bf-109 are great examples. Guys were probably beating down their door wondering why they couldn't get more exotic planes after seeing ESM's inventory. It's too bad that ESM's quality and prices are now both sub-par as they are probably putting themselves out of business. Less competition is not a good thing for this hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.