Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP - Which warbird to choose P51 Mustang or P40 Warhark?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NEED HELP - Which warbird to choose P51 Mustang or P40 Warhark?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:54 AM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEED HELP - Which warbird to choose P51 Mustang or P40 Warhark?

Been in the hobby since 2007 and since then have had a burning desire to own a warbird. Fell in love with the P51 Mustang first but later developed just about same interest in P40 Warhawk. I would like the community's help in deciding on which model to get as I would not consider myself a diehard warbird modeler.

I would like to know which of the two models would posess better fliying characteristics for someone who really is more into precision flying but at the same time would love to fulfill a desire. I would also appreciate recommendations as to which ARF brand in the 30cc to 50/60cc size come out the box with highest build quality and manners in flight.

Thanks

DaleD
Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Without consideration to the brand, the P-51 will typically fly a bit better and have better ground handling. P40's (unless it's the later models like the P40N) are a bit short compared to the P-51. The ground handling for the Mustang will also be quite a bit better since the P-40 has quite a bit narrower stance making it more prone to ground loops. The rotating retracts are always more problematic than the standard type as well. As an example, the Top Flite P-51 will be quite a bit easier to handle than the Top Flite P-40 (Giant scale). I can't comment on the build quality of the Top Flite P-40. The P-51 ARF is a bit older than some of the others such as the Spitfire or FW-190, but that also means there is a ton of information out there to help you get it right the first time.

Lots of people like Mustangs, but often build something else to be a bit different. There are lots of Mustangs at every event you go to for a good reason, they look good, fly good, and ground handle as good as about anything except a P47.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:55 AM
DaleD

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
Without consideration to the brand, the P-51 will typically fly a bit better and have better ground handling. P40's (unless it's the later models like the P40N) are a bit short compared to the P-51. The ground handling for the Mustang will also be quite a bit better since the P-40 has quite a bit narrower stance making it more prone to ground loops. The rotating retracts are always more problematic than the standard type as well. As an example, the Top Flite P-51 will be quite a bit easier to handle than the Top Flite P-40 (Giant scale). I can't comment on the build quality of the Top Flite P-40. The P-51 ARF is a bit older than some of the others such as the Spitfire or FW-190, but that also means there is a ton of information out there to help you get it right the first time.

Lots of people like Mustangs, but often build something else to be a bit different. There are lots of Mustangs at every event you go to for a good reason, they look good, fly good, and ground handle as good as about anything except a P47.
Appreciate your help Todd. Based on what you have shared, the decision between P51 and P40 is pretty straight forward. While I feel pretty sure the P51 will be in my hanger in the future, I am curious as to why you mentioned the P47 as an exception.

Thanks

DaleD
Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Hot Rod Todd

The Wide and low stance of the P-47 makes it about the easiest ground handling WW2 Warbird. They also seem to fly well and the wing shape typically provides a good amount of wing area. One of the most popular kits (and ARF's) is the P-47. It's not as pretty as the P-51, but it's pretty much common knowlege that the P-47 makes for a good handling warbird. If I had to rank the popular WW2 fighters for how easy they are to fly/ground handle, here would be my list (some may move them around a bit, but it shouldn't be too far off).

Easiest to hardest, and why: 1. P47: Wide and low stance makes it a good ground handler. 2. P-51: Wide stance, good flying characteristics, easy to balance. 3. Zero: Good stance, good flyer (if you don't add too much weight to balance). 4. Spitfire: A bit narrow stance, but great flying characteristics 5. F4U Corsair: Rotating retracts, Rudder a bit small, but the low stance makes it handle OK on the ground. 6. T-6 Texan: I know, it's a trainer. But the flying characteristics are not good. Handles OK on the ground though. 7. FW-190: Wide stance, good flyer, but if you have the mains the scale height it can be tall and prone to have gear issues. 8. P40: Narrow stance rotating gear, short tail moment, If you built the longer N model, it would not be so bad, but most are the shorter E version. 9. BF-109. Tall narrow gear, small rudder. Flys good, but not easy to handle on the ground.

That's the popular models. Didn't include the twins like the P38 (nasty with one engine) or the Mosquito (nasty on the ground, and nasty with one engine).

Last edited by Hot Rod Todd; 05-07-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: forgot rest of message.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM
DaleD

Todd, you have provided more then enough information to aid in my decision. I will be giving the P47 a second and third look. Right now that big round cowl isn't making my skin itch; will try and find a few videos to watch and see if interest will grow.

As I am right now looking seriously at the P51, I just need help from experienced flyers and builders as to which ARF kit would be most highly recommended. I have read about the Aeroworks, TopFlight, ESM and I know Hanger 9 just released a new 60cc size kit. Any other ARF kits not mentioned worthy of consideration?

DaleD
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Hot Rod Todd

That sounds like the main choices. The top flite is innexpesive and has been around a long time. The new Hanger 9 is pricey, we'll have to see how good it is once they get them flying. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:28 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on Hot Rod Todd's comments. In addition the P-47 with the big round cowl generally takes less cowl cutting for the engine installation. As compared to the relatively narrow cowl on the P-51 (and P-40). Probably not something to hang your decision on at this point though.

Brian
Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 PM
LA7flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with the summary regarding the P 47 as the easiest in flight and on the ground....also easier to hide a gasser in....P 51 is nice but can bite if slowed down too much...also, the in-line lends itself to e-power....my experience with the ARFs I have purchased is they are all under built with cheaper materials. I prefer to build kits and scratch build my own but I understand that the vast majority of sales is going to ARF's...Top Flight is a recognized name and one I would consider
Old 05-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Have flown both.

P40
- poor ground handing, requires experienced pilot in use of co-ordinated rudder, elevator and throttle.
- tendency to snap from high speed stalls
- will tip stall
- CG issues, due to 90 degree rotating retracts
- lands quite well but do not get slow or it will tip stall, must be wheeled on
- large opening and exit area for engine cooling. Easy to fit a good sized engine within the cowl

P51
- very forgiving, even with CG incorrect - found that out the hard way!
- wide track undercarriage makes for easy ground handling and easier take off.
- narrow nose, makes engine choice and fitting tough
- cooling of engine is difficult, similar to a Spitfire in this regard
- lands nicely and can be slowed but still likes to be wheeled on.

just a few thoughts.

Cavet Venditor!!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Add my recommendations for the P-47 as your first effort. Best flying/ground handling qualities of the three.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:53 AM
willig10

Go get yourself a Top Flight Giant scale or 60 size P-47. You will not be disappointed.

Glenn
Old 05-08-2014, 05:44 AM
charlie1960

Cool

The OP stated a desire for a P-51 or a P-40.
And seems most everyone is trying to persuade him into a P-47.
All the facts being equal, a P-47 would handle somewhat better on the ground, does fly well,
but his interest is in one of the other two planes.

My 2 cents, is build the plane that will make you happy. That being said. Look at The World Models GS P-51s.
No one has mentioned them. I owned a 60 sized Mustang and it was solidly built and flew very well. This being your first foray into
warbirddom, there will be charaterists of warbirds you may or may not be aware of. How ever you go with this, i would hope you
seek the wisdom and advise of a local warbirder. Personaly i love warbirds.
There are Warbirds, and then there are Targets.
There are Mustangs, and then there are Targets......

Last edited by charlie1960; 05-08-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first was the jug and she was a sweatheart. I agree with all the above comments and I have both the 51 and the 40 and for me the biggest drawback on the 40 is the rotating gear. If you go for that then get the Sierra Giant gear, well worth the money.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Guys, guys,

You know he wants one of each! Dale, just do it!

Oh, and my favorite so far is my Meister Corsair. I don't fly it for speed, but it will do all the loops, rolls, four point rolls, etc. that I want, with a big grin on my face.

Dave Olson
Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

True. Buy all three. Start with the Jug, then the "Stang, and finish with the Warhawk. Life is wayyy too short to deny yourself at this point!

Above all, have fun.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 AM
charlie1960

Right on Dave. I like flying in a "less powerful manner" myself. And i agree with Rapture, good retracts are a must on a big warbird. (any plane for that matter)
Nothing will make a lousy day flying, faster than junk retracts.

Just wait......you'll never get finished.....theres the retracting tailwheel mod.
the sliding canopy mod
the fuctioning radiator door mod (mustang)
the navigation lights mod
the landing lights mod
the scale main landing gear and wheels mod
the scale cockpit with pilot mod
the scale fuctioning exhaust mod
the functioning cowl flap mod (p-47 and f4u)
the drop tank mod
the fighter group specific paint and scheme mod
IT GOES ON AND ON...

Last edited by charlie1960; 05-08-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM
charlie1960

currently building an ESM 72 inch D model mustang
Old 05-08-2014, 11:27 AM
DaleD

WOW!!!!!

I can feel the passion for warbirds from all your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and insights. As of now, I am set on the P51 Mustang and now must decide on which kit to buy. Somehow I have a funny feeling that shortly after the P51 a P40 will become an object of serious desire and contemplation. I have a serious weakness for model planes and tend to hang on to every model purchased. Seriously growing out of storage space right now. Last time I counted there are 10 models, two of which are yet to be assembled.

I will most likely delay the purchase until after I read feedback on the new H9 60cc P51. The Topflight seems to be the pick of the litter; it is very its popularity for many reasons and good build quality and flight characteristics seems to be among them. If the Hanger9 fails to impress this is definitely what I will be getting.

Please keep the information coming.

DaleD
Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 PM
prop wash

Dale my fav is the TFGS Mustang,very well built and performs great.My next one is the H9 P47 razorback.My new addition is the TFGS F4U.Very nice and well built.I have not flown it yet so I'll let you know.Both my mustangs and thjug have Moki 210's and a Moki180[jug].The Moki's in the51's don't have the cowls all chopped up with carbs and all sticking out.The F4U has my first gasser in it[DLA 58cc].
As you can tell I too love war birds.Go with Top Flite.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	two P51's and a Jug.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1993589   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01089.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	865.0 KB
ID:	1993590   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01092.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	864.0 KB
ID:	1993591  
Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Top Flite P39 flew pretty well and the ground handling was no problem. I liked flying the Top Flite P47 a lot. (Both .60 size)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 PM
jeffk464

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd

190D-9's multiply everything he said about the mustang times 2 plus when you go to the field you wont be 1 of 10 mustangs.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:39 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Some advise from your pardie, just say enie, menie, minie, moe, but make sure that moe falls on the P51
Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I built and flew a p 51 and it flew well but the the p47 is much easier.and the p40 I have had that much interest in. A mustang is like a cub .everyone wants it at some point.as the guy said life is to dang short.go buy the p51 and p47.and have a ball.go with top flite or horizon.you wont be disappointed!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:01 AM
charlie1960

I've always loved a P-51. Used to watch them fly over when i was a little tike.
Back when Ellington AFB was still Ellington AFB.
Back in the day...when you could sit at the end of the runway at Hobby Airport, on the hood of a 1964 Ford Falcon
station wagon, sucking on a pepsi cola (in a BOTTLE by golly) with peanuts in it,and not get ran off by the cops.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 AM
steph69

no you want the topflite fw-190 GS, awesome flying plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.