Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP - Which warbird to choose P51 Mustang or P40 Warhark?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NEED HELP - Which warbird to choose P51 Mustang or P40 Warhark?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie1960
I've always loved a P-51. Used to watch them fly over when i was a little tike.
Back when Ellington AFB was still Ellington AFB.
Back in the day...when you could sit at the end of the runway at Hobby Airport, on the hood of a 1964 Ford Falcon
station wagon, sucking on a pepsi cola (in a BOTTLE by golly) with peanuts in it,and not get ran off by the cops.
Wow, does THAT bring back memories. You had to have a churchkey to open a steel can, and most of them, on the other end, had a fixture with which to pop the cap off a bottle.

Ah, no memory of winters on record...

Dave Olson
Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again for all the suggestions, mind is just about made up on the P51 first followed by the P40(definitely getting them both but in that order). The P47 jug has all the qualities that makes it perfect for getting into warbirds but I cant seem to develop a liking for how it looks.

The next question I would like answered is on engine selection. I am going for a TRUE scale like experience and would prefer to get an engine that sounds true to the real thing. My preference is for gas and I have read that 4 stroke engines sounds best. What engine would you suggest that fits my liking. I am not set on this so feel free to post what you see as advantages and disadvantages of the options available.

Thanks

DaleD
Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by DaleD
Thanks again for all the suggestions, mind is just about made up on the P51 first followed by the P40(definitely getting them both but in that order). The P47 jug has all the qualities that makes it perfect for getting into warbirds but I cant seem to develop a liking for how it looks.

The next question I would like answered is on engine selection. I am going for a TRUE scale like experience and would prefer to get an engine that sounds true to the real thing. My preference is for gas and I have read that 4 stroke engines sounds best. What engine would you suggest that fits my liking. I am not set on this so feel free to post what you see as advantages and disadvantages of the options available.

Thanks

DaleD

Uh oh... that TRUE to scale sound thing troubles me... what engines do you have experience with?

With a P51, the narrow cowl will sort of limit your choices, and they're all going to be single cylinder engines. None will sound anything like the full scale item.

I like the sound of a Saito fourstroke, and if you like that you'll be able to find a big one that will fit. Likewise with other fourstrokes, just choose one that you have experience with. If you don't have experience with a big fourstroke, you'll want to gather your experience with something besides a big warbird. Once you decide what engine you like you'll be ready to go!

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM
charlie1960

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saito fourstroke. Will fit real nice under a mustang cowl, inverted of course.........and then, HERE comes the scale Keleo exhaust for a mustang.

See, thats how it starts........lol
I would suggest finding a easy to fly large scale plane like a Fourstar or a large Extra to break in the gas engine on, tuning it and such, getting used to the operation.
It wont sound totally real, but its pretty dam close.
Some of the large displacement two strokes don't sound all that bad. Probably because their not turning ungodly RPM's.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:39 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

May have missed it, but I haven't seen any comments about the hardware and manuals from various sellers. I find the TF manuals are very good with actual pictures, details, and how to. Probably more detail than necessary if you have built a few ARFs. For instance, the manual for a giant scale plane from TF may have 50 pages, from ESM 10 pages. Also many of the TF ARFs are similar to the TF kit. I have downloaded the kit instructions also just in case I needed to do something major.

I used the hardware furnished with the TF GS P-51 ARF. Its worked fine for several years. H9, ESM, and WM hardware has also worked for me, with maybe a few items changed due to preference not concern.

Brian
Old 05-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Hawk131

I can't say anything for the giant scale birds because I don't own one but I do have a TF .60 P-40 and the Hanger 9 P-51D .40 I love them both, as for ground handling I don't see much of a difference. They are both easier than my Goldburg cub for ground handling , that is for sure. I can say the mustang needs a little more speed for landing, not by much. Either one would be good, as for the P-47, I don't like the looks of them and I will never own one, no mater how good they fly, I'm just a hater...
Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was this close on the TF GS 51... Moved to Aeroworks.. Then the 190 came out. Amazing. Now the P51 from H9 with sliding canopy, scale cockpit, my choice of gear and engine. - since a kid the P51 has always captured my attention. I personally have that as the top pick with the TF 190 a close second. Again, it's my passion for the P51 that's weighing that decision. Yes, I have been following the 190 thread and it is very impressive! I'd love to have BOTH!! LOL

Originally Posted by steph69
no you want the topflite fw-190 GS, awesome flying plane.

Last edited by ThunderBoat42; 05-10-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:20 AM
ThunderBoat42

I'm with you.. I love the 4 stroke engines. So, the question always is, how much to spend. A H9 60cc with gear, wheels, radio equ. And servo's. You're at $1500+... A Kolm engine another $3200. Which screams. For. A 250 solo prop. Big investment. A .60-.90 size top flight is $270 delivered now from tower and the coupon code. $350 for electric retracts if desired. With struts, wheels etc. Add a YS engine (140 up to a 180) and. Scale Biela prop and you're at $1300 all tricked out.
Simpler for giant is the TF with a G62 or DLE. Just no scale muscle.

I personally LOVE the TF .60 size P51. Affordable, flies great and easy to store. And transport. It's All personal perference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P51.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1994013   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130722-00276.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1994014  

Last edited by ThunderBoat42; 05-10-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:53 AM
da Rock

Any model that needs rotating retracts like the P40 has a major problem nowadays. The presently available retracts make the ground handling suck. They have the gear too far aft in the unit and/or only move 90degrees in and out. The wheels wind up too far aft when down which makes the plane a pain to taxi and worse to rotate on takeoff.

If any gear mfg understood what was needed, we'd have either better located hinging or a greater angle of rotation.

As it is, unless the modeler understands the gear design drives the CG location instead of the flying characteristics, his model is destined to be a bround handling beast.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 AM
ThunderBoat42

This thread has provided value to me... just saying..... I never know about the rotating retract issues. I take it that includes the corsair too? So many flying it must be not to difficult to overcome. Sticking w my P51 for now.

Originally Posted by da Rock
Any model that needs rotating retracts like the P40 has a major problem nowadays. The presently available retracts make the ground handling suck. They have the gear too far aft in the unit and/or only move 90degrees in and out. The wheels wind up too far aft when down which makes the plane a pain to taxi and worse to rotate on takeoff.

If any gear mfg understood what was needed, we'd have either better located hinging or a greater angle of rotation.

As it is, unless the modeler understands the gear design drives the CG location instead of the flying characteristics, his model is destined to be a bround handling beast.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 PM
charlie1960

Poor retracts are a big PITA. That is one area you should get the best you can afford.
The retracts i bought for my bird came from ESM. (troy built). The electric retracts recommended for my Mustang. I was skeptical at first because
I had read a lot of negative things about the earlier versions. I've cycled mine about 40 times and am
mesmerized by the way they work....lol
And i havent even put the wing on the fuse yet........lol
Old 05-10-2014, 02:06 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

JMHO But go with some scale of a P-47 all P-47 fly better than any other War Bird by far. Again that is JMHO
Old 05-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus 1 to Hound Dog's comments. I am far more interested in someones success than how good the plane looks on the ground.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:51 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by DaleD
The next question I would like answered is on engine selection. I am going for a TRUE scale like experience and would prefer to get an engine that sounds true to the real thing.
Now you're back to the P-47 or other radial engine type. One of the big 5 or 7 cylinder engines will provide a good approximation. No single cylinder engine sounds anything like a real aircraft engine.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:09 PM
charlie1960

Ya'll missing his point, he doesnt want a 47.
He's stated that at least twice.

With proper tutalage, is that even a word, he can learn a 51. I did....albeit i learned the hard way.

I was dedicated.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Hawk131

What is it with the fascination with the P-47? I just don't get it?? My first "scale warbird" was my TF P-40 .60, it is a great warbird and is a floater if that can be said about a warbird. All warbirds you need to keep some speed up on them, not all of us love the 47 like others, I sure dont. If you chose a p-51, 40, or even a 47 just have some one with you the first couple of times out to help if your not used to warbirds.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM
HoundDog

People ask for advise and then they refuse to listen to what people have to say If U already had Your mind mane up why ask? Just a simple observation on my part.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an older Kyosho P-40 with a Saito 65. I'm hoping this year I will get to fly it more as it's been giving me fits. Part of it was my fault because I went with cheap mechanical retracts and they were absolute garbage. Very sloppy. I now have H9 mechanical retracts and they work much better but if the gear bends at all, they won't retract properly. Another thing that was mentioned earlier is the extended angle of the gear. They don't seem to extend forward enough so nose overs are pretty common. The way I've been combating this is to move the CG a bit more rearward.

Engine cooling was another issue. I was losing power when my engine was getting hot in flight. I blocked off part of the radiator opening and opened up the cowl flaps and drilled more holes on the bottom of the cowl. This improved flight time but it still overheats after a while. I've enlarged the cut out on the bottom of the cowl so hopefully this issue is resolved as well. Time will tell.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

building a Top Flite P-40E. always wanted one. love the way they look. i know they are a handful, but i just love them too much to not have one. I also have a spitfire that has been nicknamed the flying brick lol. guess i just have it in for hard flyers. lol
Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by charlie1960
Ya'll missing his point, he doesnt want a 47.
He's stated that at least twice.
OK, got it. Now tell me again how to make that single cylinder engine sound like a Merlin?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 AM
charlie1960

use your imagination...
Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

P51 hands down the better choice...

Double Trouble is powered by a DA50 ( Menz 20x12 prop)and Buzzin Cousin has a DLE 55 (APC T6 race prop) Both good power plant choices..

[Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos]

[Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos]

FLIGHT VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18NAG...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_sk...e_gdata_player

Last edited by AFTERBURNER1; 05-11-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 AM
charlie1960

great looking planes
flying wasnt bad either
Old 05-11-2014, 10:32 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by radfordc
OK, got it. Now tell me again how to make that single cylinder engine sound like a Merlin?
Go Electric and get a MRrcsound Unit. http://www.motionrc.com/brands/MrRCS...Fe47MgodSQsARA
Features and specs:

• 6 Engine sounds: Merlin (P-51), Lycoming (Sky Trainer, J3, etc), Continental, Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp (Corsair, P-47, F6F), Daimler Benz 601 (BF-109), or a generic Turbine

U are wishing for something that can't be. Getting a 2 stroke Glow model airplane Engine to sound like a $4000 5 cylinder Gasoline burning Radial or anything that sounds Like a Merlin ... JUST WON"T HAPPEN BABY No Way

edited by moderator......................................... .................................................. ...........................

Last edited by da Rock; 05-13-2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Calling another member "stupid"
Old 05-11-2014, 11:46 AM
lancairmustang

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
That sounds like the main choices. The top flite is innexpesive and has been around a long time. The new Hanger 9 is pricey, we'll have to see how good it is once they get them flying. Good luck.
I can second that, I've flown the giant P-47 and Giant P-51, both fly awesome, the P-47 is a little better flying and easier airplane as apposed to the P-51, the mustang is more streamline and if you get her going to slow on landing, your pretty much going in. With heavy giant warbirds like these you want to keep your speed up. Personally I haven't flown the giant P-40 but a friend of mine crashed one the other day, the topflite giant one. He was coming in for a landing, and guess what? Got her going too slow. He says the P-40 is a hard one to handle, he says it just doesn't fly as nice as a P-47, P-51, or even a corsair. Don't know why, that's just what he said. Personally the mustang, thunderbolt, and corsair are all my favorites. They all look awesome in the air and go like hell, especially the stream line P-51. Hope this helped as well.
Trevor

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.