Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CompARF P-47 owners, CG question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CompARF P-47 owners, CG question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:52 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CompARF P-47 owners, CG question

I am the proud new owner of a P-47 with a moki 250. It is almost ready to fly, need to mount batteries and a few loose ends. The builder put a battery tray about equal with the trailing edge of the wing. It would be easier to install the three packs there, but I feel like I should be putting them on the firewall. Not sure how much of a penalty those packs would be 6-8" aft of the CG on such a big plane?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2014, 04:41 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I believe Carf's CG for the P-47 is 6 1/8". My blown up Ziroli to 110" is 6 5/8" from the LE. I usually go a little nose heavy on the maiden.
I put all my batteries up front figuring it's easier to move the CG back than forward (also, war birds tend to need nose weight).
Since the batteries are already in place, might as well check the CG: can always move them forward.
I've got the bulk of my plane together and will be checking the CG to give me a ball park idea. The full cockpit is pretty heavy and still needs install.
The moki 250 is about 11 lbs so it can compensate for 'stuff' behind the CG.
I'm figuring that we'll both luck out and the CG will be pretty close.
Also, if you like getting access to the batteries, you could always just put some lead in the nose. A few pounds on this large of a plane isn't going to affect it's handling.

Last edited by samparfitt; 05-18-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:38 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike,
I built my P-47 per what the instructions said to do.As far as the C.G goes it seems to have worked out perfect as i did not have to add any weight to the plane at all. The tray is put in at the specified location of the instructions for the use of the moki which is at the backside of the trailing edge of the wing. I have my 3 batteries and the receiver mounted to this tray and then i also have the 2 air valves and servos for the doors and gear mounted in the same area.