Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What servos do you use in your Gaint Scale War Birds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What servos do you use in your Gaint Scale War Birds

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM
LOVESCALE
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been flying the 1501's for a year now on A 100cc mx2. They have never had a problem and have not gained any slop. I only use analog because at my age I can't tell the difrence in speed . Lol
Old 06-08-2014, 06:50 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SigMan
i have 4 NIB POWER HD 1501MG's sitting in the closet,i just cant bear to to install them in my Revolver 70 or my 1/3 Scale Cessna Gassers. to much money wrapped in a plane to trust a 12 dollor servo. i will test them on something someday. maybe.
Try a couple of them on your Cessna flaps or your steering. These are really great servos. Better yet take one apart and look at the gear train. I couldn't believe the price either for the quality I saw when I took the servo apart. I have all of these servos in scale planes and they are noticeably faster. I have even slowed some of them down to get a smoother transition.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 4 NIB POWER HD 1501MG's sitting in the closet,i just cant bear to to install them in my Revolver 70 or my 1/3 Scale Cessna Gassers. to much money wrapped in a plane to trust a 12 dollor servo. i will test them on something someday. maybe.
I've got about 20 of them in planes up to 55 cc size. Never a problem or failure in about 2 years so far.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by tevans55
TThese are really great servos. Better yet take one apart and look at the gear train. I couldn't believe the price either for the quality I saw when I took the servo apart.
Yes, I agree. They are good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	phd-1501mg_2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2002636  
Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

too much money wrapped in a plane to trust a 12 dollor servo.
Ha! the price-quality association, the brand marketing propaganda's got you!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM
radfordc

These are the Ford/Chevy of servos. Some folks only want the BMW/Mercedes level.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:52 PM
bikecrasher

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All servos have issues being mass produced. In my mig21 I had futaba s bus 30kg on elevator that cooked its self. My euro sport had a hitec that burnt out and locked my canard full down. Jr with gear train slop. I have a turnagy thin wing servos that have flown for over 70hrs in a fast jet with no issues.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 1501s and they have too much slop IMO, HS645 are slightly better.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:42 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use nothing but JR Digital HV servos and now i'm slowly starting to move over and use all of the new Spektrum Digital HV servo's.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well lots of good information

I have only been flying over 3 years and at the end of last year I competed in the Beginner scale NASA (scale ) event and complete last month in the novice class and came in first with a very old TFG P51 with DLE55 with kelo muffler

She is loaded with hs564mg as im trying to fly precisely against way better poilts as now I have to complete in the experts class

I was thinking of trying digital in the ali and elevator. Which would you recommend?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 AM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

I have used the 1501 for over two years now and they have performed very good in my 1/5 to 1/3 scale stuff. I do not fly precision high speed jet stuff etc. just the traditional warbird stuff.
The only bad one was bad out of the box all others, no problem. Have since recommended to best friends and they are also pleased. Before the Power HD a couple of my friends and I flew JR and Hitec. Others don't want to switch because of the price vs quality fears. They swear it will catch up to me and they may be right but I am staying mostly with the 151 as of now.

Last edited by dmyers0403; 06-09-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:45 AM
RCHS1
My Feedback: (1)

Short answer Hitec 645 mg ..............if you run Digital Servos Use a Load meter......... JR ,Hitec,Spectrum,Futaba , Savox , MKS and many more good servos out there the setup is key

WHY NOT RUN BIG BADASS DIGITAL SERVOS ON MY WARBIRD'SSSS???????? There is no problem with them just no need to run them

I was wondering why these expensive labors of love I would come across were running 645 mg servos ??

My opinion is NOT ALL but most warbirds the linkages are not as straight forward as other planes and lend themselves to more chances of binding - especially FLAPS#!@ and long elevator rudder sleeved pushrods etc.

1. I have found that when taking hours to program a plane which is necessary with warbirds burniing up servos occurs every once in a while when mistakes are made - keeping track of 10-15 servos mistakes are made and digitals get burnt up more often than Non Digitals is fact

2. When re-programming a bird or aquiring second hand and setting up a plane you did not build the possibility goes way up - an Example is FLAPS@#$ on most warbirds i have dealt with full flap up set by eye (level like you would an aileron neutral ) will simply burn the servo up especially if you are using 9 channels or less (matchbox helps). So an acceptable and common solution is to pull the flaps down a degree or two or three and set them in a position where it wont burn up servo and be ok with a bit of a surface out of "whack" - I know this may sound odd but if you have lots of warbirds you WILL encounter this

3. Servos don't fail from flight loads - they stall from binding at neutral or endpoint Most of the time - if a servos fails in flight it is typically from an existing bind or something else causing high amp draw - or disconnect ---------SO take time of course setting them in an acceptable "bind range" ------ Quick test turn your plane on for 10 minutes and see if any servos get hot , check it every few minutes in between .

I found this new video very interesting with 2 easy tools for time when you use digital servos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTaHEpWXHSQ

All that being said in my latest full kit build 6 months ago Ziroli Hellcat - I went with JR 8411 servos for all surfaces and gear valve and have burned up three so far - they were all mistakes by me - 2 flaps and 1 retract- i change radios alot and have had to reprogram a few times and that is what lended a hand to it - no problems in flight though

Ziroli Hellcat 95 " - JR8411 servos
Ziroli Dauntless 100" - Hitec 645MG Servos
3W Tigercat 120" - Hitec 645MG on everything except elevators Hitec7955TG
Top Flite Mustang 84.5" - Hitec 645MG
Zirloi Stuka 100"- JR8411 servos

I had to put some pics below fresh of a fly in this past weekend

Name:	bomberfieldwarbirdday2014 009.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2002867   Click image for larger version

Name:	bomberfieldwarbirdday2014 031.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	2002868   Click image for larger version

Name:	shawnbuck.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2002869  

Last edited by RCHS1; 06-09-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:56 AM
steph69

Originally Posted by Sonny.C
Steph,

The Hitec 5645 digital servos are very good servos. I've used them for years without a single failure. I have them serving critical functions (elevator, aileron, rudder, & throttle) in all my birds. The analog 645s are also good. Your 5645s will serve your FW190 well.

Sonny
thanks man I was getting worried and was going to part with them to get the 645mg but its good to here that they are no to bad , you are not the first to say they are good servos if set up properly. cheers mate I appreciate it...
Old 06-11-2014, 08:20 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Originally Posted by rchs1
short answer hitec 645 mg ..............if you run digital servos use a load meter......... Jr ,hitec,spectrum,futaba , savox , mks and many more good servos out there the setup is key

why not run big badass digital servos on my warbird'ssss???????? There is no problem with them just no need to run them

i was wondering why these expensive labors of love i would come across were running 645 mg servos ??

My opinion is not all but most warbirds the linkages are not as straight forward as other planes and lend themselves to more chances of binding - especially flaps#!@ and long elevator rudder sleeved pushrods etc.

1. I have found that when taking hours to program a plane which is necessary with warbirds burniing up servos occurs every once in a while when mistakes are made - keeping track of 10-15 servos mistakes are made and digitals get burnt up more often than non digitals is fact

2. When re-programming a bird or aquiring second hand and setting up a plane you did not build the possibility goes way up - an example is flaps@#$ on most warbirds i have dealt with full flap up set by eye (level like you would an aileron neutral ) will simply burn the servo up especially if you are using 9 channels or less (matchbox helps). So an acceptable and common solution is to pull the flaps down a degree or two or three and set them in a position where it wont burn up servo and be ok with a bit of a surface out of "whack" - i know this may sound odd but if you have lots of warbirds you will encounter this

3. Servos don't fail from flight loads - they stall from binding at neutral or endpoint most of the time - if a servos fails in flight it is typically from an existing bind or something else causing high amp draw - or disconnect ---------so take time of course setting them in an acceptable "bind range" ------ quick test turn your plane on for 10 minutes and see if any servos get hot , check it every few minutes in between .

I found this new video very interesting with 2 easy tools for time when you use digital servos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otahepwxhsq

all that being said in my latest full kit build 6 months ago ziroli hellcat - i went with jr 8411 servos for all surfaces and gear valve and have burned up three so far - they were all mistakes by me - 2 flaps and 1 retract- i change radios alot and have had to reprogram a few times and that is what lended a hand to it - no problems in flight though

ziroli hellcat 95 " - jr8411 servos
ziroli dauntless 100" - hitec 645mg servos
3w tigercat 120" - hitec 645mg on everything except elevators hitec7955tg
top flite mustang 84.5" - hitec 645mg
zirloi stuka 100"- jr8411 servos

i had to put some pics below fresh of a fly in this past weekend
[attach=config]2002867[/attach][attach=config]2002868[/attach][attach=config]2002869[/attach]

amen!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 PM
captainron

Absolutely without a doubt, hands down ......The most bang for the buck....The best servo on the market for the big heavy warbrids, if you want digital.................Hitec HS 5645's
Old 06-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by fw190
I have had 1501s and they have too much slop IMO, HS645 are slightly better.
You are the only one then.....
Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 PM
dubs1946

Hi this is an interesting thread, i have been using mostly Hitec 645 as warbirds do not need the precision of digitalis and i am running life 6.6V batteries and have had no problems.
As we are using more and more Chinese gear its natural to move over to Chinese servo,s .
I thought i would give some a go. This sorry lot here are Hobby King 15288A metal gear 10kg analogue servo,s basicly the HK version of Hitec 645,s but as you can see they are a disaster waiting to happen, luckily i spotted the problem on the ground and thought it may be that i was putting 6.5V through them anyway out they came and put back 645,s.
I do a bit of combat and all combat aircraft have a finite life so i tried one more on my combat plane on the throttle and i only run 4.8V on the combat model but it cooked again yesterday in the first round and i flew around for 10 minutes holding up the contest waiting for the fuel to run out.
Anyway don,t use them there is a very basic flaw in them as you can see.
So what Chinese servo,s can you use if any? We use a hell of a lot of Chinese gear in one way or another so there must be good Chinese servo,s out there some where.
I don,t want to use Digitalis as i have had expensive Hitec and Futaba digitalis burn out as well and when a digital burns out it freezes solid in the position it last thought off and does not move but when a analogue burns out it stays free and moves back to neutral in the air stream.
Dave.

Name:	top shot.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	2005514   Click image for larger version

Name:	side burnt out.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	2005515  

Last edited by dubs1946; 06-15-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:57 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I agree with the HD 1501 and Hitec 645 quality. I have about 20 of these together with no failure yet.
I cannot say the same about Hitec 5645 digital. I have experienced 2 of these fail to center, intermittently. 3 other club members had similar experience, causing 1 plane to crash. I stopped using them. I'll sell mine cheap if anyone is interested!!! Just don't trust them at all.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by kmtranmd
I cannot say the same about Hitec 5645 digital. I'll sell mine cheap if anyone is interested!!!
There should be 5-6 guys on this thread jumping at the chance to buy your "quality" Hitec servos!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:50 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

me me me !