RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

DLE 20 Carb throttle issue

Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 PM
impala1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DLE 20 Carb throttle issue

Wondering if any one has dealt with this issue. On my DLE 20 the rod going through the carb is really hard to operate. The rod that has the throttle arm attached to one end.
It binds almost the entire throw. At times I need to use a screw driver to push it back and forth. It didn't do this when first installed. I've run about 4 tanks through. Seemed to get bad about the second tank? My ball joint linkage kept popping off, finally realized rod was sticking.

maybe someone knows what would cause this?

If I have to take carb apart, should I sand the shaft to make it a tad smaller? I would probably need a new gasket kit also?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 PM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bet the C-clip that holds the throttle rod is gone.
If that happened, then the spring on the other side is pushing the rod causing the butterfly to bind on the carb inner wall. If you've worked it like this then most likely the butterfly that's made of soft brass is now bent.

Take the carb off the engine and post some pics of the inner side (not the choke side)

BTW, you could re-post your issue here (huge DLE-20 thread with lots of info): DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Last edited by w1nd6urfa; 06-10-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 PM
impala1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes it is gone lol, but that just happened tonight.
It was binding, so I popped the c ring off and was hoping the rod would just slip out. Well it doesnt.
I lost the c clip when I popped it off.
Brings up another question, by chance, do you know if I can order a new one.

The butterfly deal you mentioned sounds like what is going on. That makes sense. Soft metal bends very easily. I will just take carb off and check it out. it runs so good though, it's scary to take carb apart!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 AM
w1nd6urfa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here's some pics of the butterfly after the C-clip was gone. Mine didn't bind as such, but the idle kept going higher until I had to kill the engine in order to land

Old 06-11-2014, 01:07 AM
w1nd6urfa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got a pair of new rod and butterflies from a lawn mower repair shop, but couldn't put it in place without bending it out of shape. This rod is not metal, its more like gum!

I ended up buying a new carb from HK for 17$ (listed as RCG 20 carb item id: 148000018), its identical to the DLE carb at 35$. It's been working on my DLE 20 for about a year with no issues.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:59 AM
impala1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys. I like the idea of just buying one from hobby king, I like bolt on for 17 bucks. then I can take mine apart and practice on the one I have now. by chance anyone know the size of the outer c-clip on the rod?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 PM
impala1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa View Post
I got a pair of new rod and butterflies from a lawn mower repair shop, but couldn't put it in place without bending it out of shape. This rod is not metal, its more like gum!

I ended up buying a new carb from HK for 17$ (listed as RCG 20 carb item id: 148000018), its identical to the DLE carb at 35$. It's been working on my DLE 20 for about a year with no issues.
Hobby king out of stock and tower around 40 bucks, so what the heck, take it apart and experiment!

the butterfly screw had come loose causing the rod and butterfly to warp/rub on carb.
I took rod out very carefully and lightly sanded it. Then lightly buffed it with a small wire wheel. Did the same with butterfly. Works mechanically like a champ now. I will run it tomm and see how she runs.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 PM
w1nd6urfa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good job!
Make sure the butterfly is perfectly round and when fully closed it makes an airtight seal in the venturi leaving only the half-moon opening at 3 o'clock.

As you see mine in the pic above, there are obvious signs of wear left and right of the rod where it was rubbing the walls, and no seal means air goes through means no idle
Old 06-12-2014, 07:24 PM
impala1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, didnt have time to fire it tonight, il see Tomm.
I didnt take much off it looks tight, but hard to say. Hopefully ill get lucky.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 AM
impala1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

She runs like a champ! Wanted to post incase anyone in the future needs to lightly sand and buff the rod and a little bit- and or on butterfly where it warped rubbing to hard on carb body.
I probably was lucky as i was able to get rid of the scaring on the butterfly and it still loooks tight after buffing it. It was a challenge getting the rod out without totally destroying the soft metal. It was binding really bad.
Thanks for the help guys