Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Preparation for painting monocote on a Warbird

I'll be picking up a nice Corsair, that is covered in monocote. Eventually I will strip it and glass it but for now I would like to paint it. What's a good prep for it and would latex paint adhere to the surface. I'm thinking a good cleaning with lacquer thinner then a thorough scuffing and cleaning again. Prime and paint. Any other suggestions??
    Thanks,
    Fred

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    One of my buddies sprayed paint adhesion on the monokote first. He painted a TF Giant FW190 and it looks really great!!
    BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    This one was painted with model masters FS Intermediate blue on the sides and std. painters touch white underneath. I lightly scuffed the "painted" areas on the monokote with a light scotchbrite pad and cleaned with alcohol. "No primer" You want to spray the paint on as light as possible. Just enough to cover the color well so it can expand and contract with the monokote.
    If you put it on too thick, you'll end up with it cracking and peeling. Make sure the monokote is tight and adhered well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2583.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	2016421
    Warbird Man

I love the smell of AV gas in the morning.
    Smells like.... victory

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I haven't tried it on Monokote, but Krylon Fusion sticks to other plastics very well.