Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

125% (1/4 scale) Anderson TA-152H

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

125% (1/4 scale) Anderson TA-152H

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:50 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I took a few hours away to make a few more panels. 2 more of the upper wing fillet panels were done, they were surprisingly easy.

I also attached the panels that were done other than the after central fillet panels, they need trimmed to shape first. This is the panel held on by masking tape.

I also (as marmbrust put it) screwed around and added some more screws to some panels:

Old 03-27-2015, 03:28 PM
invertmast

Everyone was busy doing their own thing, so i snuck back out for an hour and got another panel done. Yea, one hour for one panel...

This is one piece of metal and it wraps around the TE curve of the fillet and to the bottom surface of the fillet as well.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Flamed04R6/media/TA152H/E87BF3C4-1992-473B-94BD-55A30348681B_zpseuw7brav.jpg.html][/UR]

Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM
invertmast

Both sides of the upper wing fillets are done and the attachment screws added:

Old 03-30-2015, 04:21 PM
invertmast

Bottom three panels and the big hatch are done. Ive got the lower two wing fairing panels to do and the fuselage aft of the firewall is complete other than the canopy and gun hood. Ive got a big of work to do around the supercharger scoop before i can detail that area.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:25 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking sweet. That is a lot of work! So what about the wings? You are just finishing them like normal as working models correct? Got the little scoop today. Along with a color chip book. Nice to see my approved, legal colors were in there, and are a shade that I like. Some of these colors vary tremendously, and some do not look very good. RLM 74, 75, and 76 going on my version.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Looking sweet. That is a lot of work! So what about the wings? You are just finishing them like normal as working models correct? Got the little scoop today. Along with a color chip book. Nice to see my approved, legal colors were in there, and are a shade that I like. Some of these colors vary tremendously, and some do not look very good. RLM 74, 75, and 76 going on my version.
Thanks! Its a bunch of work, but its a one time only thing, after this is done all the models out of the molds will have it so it makes it worth it.
The wing panels that are framed up currently will be the test wings, but ill end up building a new set. Once i get to that point, i may or may not litho the wings and fully mold them, it depends on the popularity of the model.

Good to hear the scoop arrived, i printed it at a lower layer height so it should be fairly quick and easy to finish for paint. The stuff doesnt sand well, so just smear red bondo spot putty over it and sand it smooth.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:58 PM
vertical grimmace

There is no doubt that hollow molded wings are the cats meow, but you have to leave some work for the builder!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:00 PM
invertmast

There is no doubt that hollow molded wings are the cats meow, but you have to leave some work for the builder!
haha. In this day and age most people dont even want to install servos!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:02 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Invertmast,

I love the craftsmanship. I'm curious everyone is always so concerned about weight in their builds. I don't believe I've seen someone do a metal makeover like you are doing right now. Is the weight difference negligible or I suspect the power-plant you use will compensate for the extra? Just wondering how your looking at it.

Z
Old 03-30-2015, 05:04 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by Nordicz
Invertmast,

I love the craftsmanship. I'm curious everyone is always so concerned about weight in their builds. I don't believe I've seen someone do a metal makeover like you are doing right now. Is the weight difference negligible or I suspect the power-plant you use will compensate for the extra? Just wondering how your looking at it.

Z
This is just a plug to make composite molds from. The actual flying model will utilize a composite fuselage.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:06 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by invertmast
haha. In this day and age most people dont even want to install servos!
I feel that there needs to be an amount of difficulty in place, so that those who really want a model like this, have to earn it on some level. Not like you would get rich selling ARF's anyway. Your client I am sure a special breed for sure.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Invertmast,

Now I'm picking up what you are laying down. Very nice work.
Z

Last edited by Nordicz; 03-30-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:13 PM
invertmast

I feel that there needs to be an amount of difficulty in place, so that those who really want a model like this, have to earn it on some level. Not like you would get rich selling ARF's anyway. Your client I am sure a special breed for sure.

Yea im not really marketing this towards joe public, id like for it go be on a competitive level with Sist. I know my landing gear design is more accurate and scale than their's and i believe the surface detailing is on par or better. Im just doing something completely out of the ordinary and doing something no one else has done at this size.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:40 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by invertmast
Yea im not really marketing this towards joe public, id like for it go be on a competitive level with Sist. I know my landing gear design is more accurate and scale than their's and i believe the surface detailing is on par or better. Im just doing something completely out of the ordinary and doing something no one else has done at this size.
One thing is for sure, having a detailed glass fuse speeds things up a ton. Throwing a wing together is no biggie really.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:48 PM
invertmast

Bottom of the fuselage is done:

I also built up the supercharger scoop mount platform with body filler. I can start detailing the nose section now.

The gun hood is also done.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 PM
invertmast

Stab panels are done:

And the intermediate cowling panels are done as well.

The upper cowling panel is in the process of being annealed. I used up all the butane in my mini torch, so its busy settling after its refill. Ill hopefully get that panel done after the kiddos go to bed.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 PM
invertmast

The top cowl panel is shaped... Ill detail it tomorrow.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 AM
invertmast

I finished up this morning what i started last night. The last few big panels are on. You'll also notice the forward exhaust fairing panel is also in place. As far as the main fuselage, the only items left are the exhaust opening panels, stab fillets and vertical stab access panel and the fuse will be done. I hope to get all that done day.

I also mocked up all the canopy parts and gunhood on for a picture. I hope to get the canopy and fairing and the cowling done this weekend so i can begin making parting planes next week.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 AM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thomas,
I'm VERY impressed with your work. Sure hope the "pulls" from the buck are as nice as your detail work! If the finished "kit" meets or surpasses Sist detail (and it's looking very good at the moment) I'll be setting aside a spot for one of your Ta's in the build schedule. You've made mention and shown pictures of your printed landing gear examples. Does this mean you will be providing "scale" operating gear with your kits, or will Sierra's fit the planned wings? If so are you going to be doing the machine work on the gear or sub'ing it out to another machinist?
I'm enjoying your thread a great deal. Thanks for all the nifty tech on display. BTW what thickness are you using for your sheeting (lithoplate?). Looks like it take compound curves nicely.

A fan.
Regards,
langerl
Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM
invertmast

Everything forward of the fuse extension on the main fuse is done. Tomorrow ill do the fillets and stab hatch.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:13 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by langerl
Thomas,
I'm VERY impressed with your work. Sure hope the "pulls" from the buck are as nice as your detail work! If the finished "kit" meets or surpasses Sist detail (and it's looking very good at the moment) I'll be setting aside a spot for one of your Ta's in the build schedule. You've made mention and shown pictures of your printed landing gear examples. Does this mean you will be providing "scale" operating gear with your kits, or will Sierra's fit the planned wings? If so are you going to be doing the machine work on the gear or sub'ing it out to another machinist?
I'm enjoying your thread a great deal. Thanks for all the nifty tech on display. BTW what thickness are you using for your sheeting (lithoplate?). Looks like it take compound curves nicely.

A fan.
Regards,
langerl
My aspirations is for this to at minimum meet the quality of the Sist 190 kits, honestly i am hoping to exceed the quality of those kits.

Scale Ta152 landing gead have been designed and i am hoping to get the first gear set in my hands by late May, my plan is to have the first model flying no later than October of this year.
All of the gear is CNC cut and is outsourced to proffessional machine shops so the quality is top notch.
The scale gear will require a slight redesign of the wing to provide a little more installation room which will begin once i start doing layups and have time to devote during cure cycles.

Sierra gear will also fit in the "stock" wing.

The litho varies from .004 to .009" in thickness. It doesnt conform all that well, ive just worked with the stuff enough to know how to convince it to shape
Old 04-04-2015, 03:32 PM
invertmast

Fuselage is DONE!

Canopy would be to, but i ran out of #0 slotted countersunk screws.

Heres the canopy frame prior to adding all 120 screws... Which involved drilling each hole with a pin vise, the counter sinking each hole, then redrilling the holes in the 3D printed portion, then screwing the screws in. Its worth the effort though!

After putting the screws in:

Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 PM
vertical grimmace

My 1/5th scale

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02051.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2086353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02049.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2086354   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02047.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2086355  
Old 04-05-2015, 12:22 PM
invertmast

The cowl flap panels have been cut and detailed. Of all the photos i have of the cowl flaps, there appears to be very little riveting on them, so these only have them along the front where the hinge panels would be.

The top cowl vent panel has always been a "good enough" because i was having a real hard time getting the louvers of it drawn in CAD when i originally printed it. I originally was just going to infull the holes with body filler and sand that to shape, but that was going to really suck. So last night i took an hour or two to draw the inserts for the louver panels and printed them this morning and installed them. Im currently waiting for two correction pieces to finish printing and then i can make the litho panel for this area.

The decision was made to also go ahead and do the stabs in all composite as well. So once i begin molding the gun hood, canopy and cowling, ill glass the horizontal stabs and get those ready for litho detailing.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:12 PM
invertmast

The vent panel litho piece has been shaped. This was way easier than i expected and only took about 10-20 minutes to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.