Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Problems with flap installations - F6F Hellcat and A-10 Warthog

RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Problems with flap installations - F6F Hellcat and A-10 Warthog

Old 09-13-2014, 03:38 PM
TTMT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Problems with flap installations - F6F Hellcat and A-10 Warthog

I have a Dynam F6F Hellcat and a Freewing A-10 Warthog. I prefer scale flying, so I've installed the flap option on both planes, but I've been experiencing the following problems:

1. When I connect the main battery, both flap servos throw abruptly to their extremes, then settle at neutral. The other servos just twitch slightly (normal).
2. After a little while, at least one of the flaps will begin to flutter as though electronic interference is occurring.
3. Today, while I was trying to resolve the issues, I noticed that one servo (the fluttering one) was becoming extremely hot.

I've tried upgrading the no-name 9g servos to Hitec HS-65s, but they do the same thing. I think it's the servo reversing harness. I'm using Expert brand harnesses. I just bought a third one today and the problems keep happening. Also, strangely, I can't get the servos to behave correctly on a three position switch (Spektrum DX8 radio). The servos move about 95% though their throw when I move the switch to the first position, then just slightly further when I move the switch to the second position. No travel adjustment combinations seem to change this behavior.

I sure appreciate any help.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:20 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My radio does the same thing but there have been no issues to date. The servo getting hot is a major red flag and I recommend you replace it immediately.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:42 AM
TTMT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. Glad I bought the servo on sale.

I think the solution to the other issues is to get an 8 channel receiver and eliminate the servo reverser.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had used a servo reverser on a H-9 150-size P-47. It never matched the throws twice...always uneven. Replaced it with a JR Matchbox and all problems solved.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:29 AM
TTMT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great. Thanks. I'll check that out.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 PM
chistech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by TTMT View Post
I have a Dynam F6F Hellcat and a Freewing A-10 Warthog. I prefer scale flying, so I've installed the flap option on both planes, but I've been experiencing the following problems:

1. When I connect the main battery, both flap servos throw abruptly to their extremes, then settle at neutral. The other servos just twitch slightly (normal).
2. After a little while, at least one of the flaps will begin to flutter as though electronic interference is occurring.
3. Today, while I was trying to resolve the issues, I noticed that one servo (the fluttering one) was becoming extremely hot.

I've tried upgrading the no-name 9g servos to Hitec HS-65s, but they do the same thing. I think it's the servo reversing harness. I'm using Expert brand harnesses. I just bought a third one today and the problems keep happening. Also, strangely, I can't get the servos to behave correctly on a three position switch (Spektrum DX8 radio). The servos move about 95% though their throw when I move the switch to the first position, then just slightly further when I move the switch to the second position. No travel adjustment combinations seem to change this behavior.

I sure appreciate any help.
A few things: 1. You need to re-bind your receiver with the flaps switch in the up position then they won't move when you connect the battery.
2. Read your manual about how to program the flap switch. You do not have it programmed correctly to move your flaps. If you can't find it in the manual I would Google it.
3. Where are you using the reversing Y-harness. Usually flap linkages are designed for both servos to move in the same direction. If you can take a picture and post it would help. If the Y-harness is a amplified one you will have problems with 2.4.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 PM
TTMT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great tips! Thank you. I try your suggestions.

I actually resolved the servo reversing issue. You may be right about the y-harness amplifier. It has a black wrapped area where the wires meet. I stopped using it and looked at my Paekzone P-47 where I added flaps a few years ago without any trouble. Their design is simple. They just molded the servo pockets facing the same direction on both sides of the wing; no need for a reverser. I cut out a pocket on one side of my A-10 and filled in the original pocket with some spare foam. I'm going t do the same on my Hellcat. The flap work great.

I really hope re-binding fixes the flap throw issue when I connect the battery. The Hellcat servos do the same thing. I guess I bound the receiver first and added the flaps later to cause this??

Really appreciate the help.