Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best P-47D ARF (up to ~85" wingspan or so)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best P-47D ARF (up to ~85" wingspan or so)

Old 10-09-2014, 04:39 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best P-47D ARF (up to ~85" wingspan or so)

What's the best P-47 ARF money can buy in your guys opinion? No time for a kit but would love to deck out an ARF. Can't be larger than ~85" wingspan or I won't be able to transport it so easily.

Ideas?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The Top Flite Tarheel Hal flies delightfully. From takeoff to landing it is well behaved. The also have an ARC version if you want to do your own covering scheme. It flies great with a DLE 55 but needs nose weight to balance. A heavier/larger engine has been used in the past. Several people have installed a DLE 85 which would certainly give it a big boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPiCEolZ8s
Old 10-10-2014, 09:39 AM
chorner

Great, thanks for the info. I've been eyeing the Top Flite closely.

I however have a Top Flite .60 size P-51D, and while it flies well enough the retract rails and support around the landing gear is very poor and has popped the rails clean out of the wing on two separate occasions now with decent landings with no other damage or issue at all with any other part of the plane; i.e gentle and flat enough landings that no other parts (or props) have been scuffed or broken at all.

How is the build quality and sturdiness on the giant P-47D in general? Any issues? I've seen guys put in ASP 400 radials, and other larger 4 strokes and seems to fly and sound excellent in this plane.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had zero structural issues with the plane anywhere. I fly on a grass field that is rolled to make it smooth.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:30 AM
chorner

Good to hear! I'm sure the structural strength in general is improved on the larger kits, and I hear their P-47 as you say flies beautifully. Might pick this one up then