Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best way to add flaps to OV-10 ARF from Hobby Hanger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best way to add flaps to OV-10 ARF from Hobby Hanger

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to add flaps to OV-10 ARF from Hobby Hanger

I would like to add flaps to this ARF but not sure which is the easiest way.

a) Cut out the flap from the wing between the center fuse and the nacelles. Modify the cut part to form a flap I need to add TE to the wing to match the flap. I definitely have to make the flap width shorter than the rear spar for strength.

b) Add a piece of 1/16 ply or CF as a split flap. In this case I will need to add some form of strengthening to the wing skin for the hinges ie I need to cut out a strip of wing sheeting in this area to add strips of balsa . I was just thinking I would add the thin flap on top of the wing . Would this slight change of thickness seriously affect performance .? Do you think that perhaps instead of using regular hinges I can use hinge tape ? Would they be strong enough ?

How much flap should I use ? 20% of wing cord?

Thanks. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:55 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the similar version from NP (might even be the same manf), I don't see much room to cut out flaps. Are you sure you have to have them? Seems like a lot of work to go through and I don't see the available area as being that beneficial in terms of what you will get? Perhaps flaperons might be the other solution? I have not flown mine yet, but will be interested to see how you do it.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I have the similar version from NP (might even be the same manf), I don't see much room to cut out flaps. Are you sure you have to have them? Seems like a lot of work to go through and I don't see the available area as being that beneficial in terms of what you will get? Perhaps flaperons might be the other solution? I have not flown mine yet, but will be interested to see how you do it.
Well mine is a 52 inch span based on Rich Uravitch design and kitted by Hobby Hanger under the Scale Tech name. http://www.hobbyhangar.com/hhbaseline_002.htm

I have not decided how to do it yet. It is a lot of work which is the reason for this post . Maybe best solution is to fly it as is and determine if flaps are needed . Can add them later if needed . I am sure with split flaps , the drag is enough to slow the plane down for landing.

The problem with flaperons is that it increases the tendency to tip stall .