Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Don Smith Bf-110 Maiden

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Don Smith Bf-110 Maiden

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:39 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don Smith Bf-110 Maiden

It ain't much, but in a world full of ARF's, I am proud of my builder friend Dave's work, even though "time-to-build" became legendary long!

It is my second Don Smith 110.

It flies really well and lands softly with full flaps. Needs to have the ailerons and the elevator slowed down and a pilot () to keep it on the ground during TO.

This one is done up in the colors of Germany's ill-fated Iraqi campaign of 1941: enamel automotive paint, OS-.91-P's turning MAS 12-8 three-blades, 89" WS, weighs 21 lbs, powered by JR 12X, Robart retracts didn't QUITE fit the plans, but Dave made 'em work

And, yes, we found the missing nacelle hatch in the tall dry corn after a 20 min search. Thanks, Greg! Danged magnets!
BF-110 MaidenFlight-H.264 for Video Podcasting.m4v
Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Warbird AL
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I served in Habbaniyah, Iraq. Being a history buff I read a lot about that base during WW2 while I was there. Until then I had no idea about the air battle that was fought in this theater. The old RAF airfield was still there when I left in 2007. There is a newer runway that was built. I found parts of the old runway the British built, mostly covered by sand and dirt but it is still there along with the tower and the old barracks.

Here is a link to the history of that battle along with what happened to the Me-110's that the Germans sent over painted in Iraqi colors. Pretty interesting for WW2 buffs!

http://www.historynet.com/world-war-...-over-iraq.htm
Old 10-18-2014, 06:06 AM
kram

Thank you, Warbird AL!

That was a fascinating account with human insights of which I was unaware.

And thank you for YOUR service!!!

mt
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool.
Looked a little tail heavy.

Brad
Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 AM
kram

At first blush, I thought the same

But it is balanced with the wheels up, right where Don Smith says, and the more I analyze the video and the flight experience, I think it was:

A) Pilot (me) too worried about differential throttle on TO and keeping a tail-dragger twin straight, so I didn't get the tail up and keep the mains on the ground long enough

B) Ailerons and elevator too fast ("twitchy")

Once I got used to that, performance at low speed tested at altitude, and of course on final and landing, was not at all tail heavy

Last edited by kram; 10-19-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:47 PM
kram

Second flight today

Complicated by left engine-out for poorly understood reasons about two minutes into the flight.

I had decent airspeed and altitude, as well as some acoustic clues, so I was able to fly almost an entire circuit turning into the live engine and land safely

It required full right rudder and almost full power: easier than a P-38, but harder than a P-61

So, why did an OS .91-P stop ?? No obvious explanations. Ran fine on the ground before and after
Old 10-28-2014, 11:10 AM
kram

Ability to fly long distance engine-out, with two full 180 degree turns and smooth landing (no flaps) I think puts the CG issue to rest

Don Smith plans had it correct

Still working on why a 91-P would stop on me!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:58 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Way to go Kram ! and Dave