Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Maiden preflight tuning, result 1 then 2 failed hs 635 servos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Maiden preflight tuning, result 1 then 2 failed hs 635 servos

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I guess I wasn't aware that metal geared servos are called for in gasoline applications necessarily. I thought metal gear is a good consideration for applications where shock (steering) or heavy tension (large flaps) are an issue. Does everyone use metal gear on gassers? I have very little experience with gassers....
Old 11-10-2014, 08:54 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

I guess I wasn't aware that metal geared servos are called for in gasoline applications necessarily. I thought metal gear is a good consideration for applications where shock (steering) or heavy tension (large flaps) are an issue. Does everyone use metal gear on gassers? I have very little experience with gassers....
Ive never seen anything that specifically states they Have to be used (except on most 3D style aerobatic models), its more for piece of mind.

Most every servo application for models is overkill when the linkage geometry is properly setup. In reality, a 50% airplane could be flown using nothing more than some standard nylon gear analog servos, if done properly.

most people (myself included) use metal gear servos for that extra piece of mind, especially when you get into the larger models, its more common that the servos are metal geared with the high torque servos than they arent metal geared.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:27 AM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike and others:
You say you burnt up some 5645 servos. Also have heard they dont center, and lose programming. Question is what battery type and what voltage were you using? Also what type aircraft were they used on? I use LIFE batteries at 7+ volts.

I have not had these issues and now am concerned. Please advise.

Thanks
Glenn
Old 11-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Merlin Man

Hi ,
Enough of the servos. You will sort that with some HT mg 645's. How about some details of the plane. . I was ( still am ?? ) building this model and would love to see some photos.

Thanks,
Merlin man.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Gregor32
My Feedback: (1)

Hi MM, i have put some 645 mg servos in and im hoping to sneak out this arvo and do the maiden as the weather is perfect. I will try and get some picks then. the plane has been nearly ready to fly for the last couple of years. ive just been to busy with other stuff. I spent about 4 evenings finishing the gear doors, and programming the door sequencer. and then tuning the motor which was a pain, I ended up replacing all the orings in the carb and manifold, it is running great now 8300rpm on an apc 17x8 and a steady 1700 idle.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 AM
Gregor32
My Feedback: (1)

Maiden went well, very benign handling. didn't realize that I had bumped the flap to half so flew around with half flap! handling was a odd because of this (wanted to pitch with more speed) but otherwise a joy to fly. everything performed well. I ran out if light so didn't get any good photos. ill do some photos tomorrow. Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040120.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	2046842   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040117.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	4.66 MB
ID:	2046843  
Old 11-12-2014, 03:02 AM
mackeyjones

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

On all of my gassers I use metal geared servos. I think it was in an engine manual that I saw it recomended originally.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Merlin Man

Hi Gregor,
Glad to hear all went well with the maiden. Well done. Merlin Man