Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Sopwith Scout "Pup" 1/4 scale Balsa USA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Sopwith Scout "Pup" 1/4 scale Balsa USA

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:53 PM
MRadu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks BobH and R/C Art,

I'm happy your watching. I'm almost finished with a video and this will complete the Pup build. I'm ready to start a new plane.
I want to make a scale plane. I want to keep improving and as I watch others I can see my skills need it.

I'd like others to post more. If I can help I'll be happy to.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rich,

Wow!

That Spad XIII has a ton of ribs! Along with a super ton of details. Painting weathering will bring out a lot of that detail. First painting the color scheme is needed. What scheme are you going with? Camouflage? If you go with a crane on the side I can make you some paint masks. Let me know. I also have the roundels if you would like.

Simply painting a new Spad XIII and it's roundels is a lot of work! So after that it will be even harder to decide to dirty up a perfectly good airplane. Ha Ha.

Absolutely great job on the Spad XIII. I'd enjoy seeing more photos. Have you made a build thread for this plane? I know it takes more time away from building, however, fellows like myself sure appreciate it.

Michael, thanks for the offer on the paint masks, but I got the detail kit form BUSA, which are vinyl. I do plan to go with camouflage color scheme when it warms up a little more. Painting is not one of my favorite part of the build.

Great maiden flight! The weathering does standout in flight, great job. I do love to fly my Sop Pup, but it doesn't look as good as yours. Let us know if you do another construction thread, you have excellent ideas.

Rich
Old 01-07-2015, 09:18 AM
flyer35
My Feedback: (33)

MRadu, Michael, I've been following this forum and it's inspired me to tear down my "pup" that I built years ago. I've been looking for a winter project and this would be perfect. I've never flown mine, could you tell me what distance you placed the CG from the leading edge. Great work. Bill
Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 AM
MRadu

Hello Bill,
I'm glad I inspired you. I set my CG at 4" inches from the leading edge of the top wing. I made sure that when I lifted the plane at my marks the plane was level. I found this to be perfect.

Feel free to ask away. If I don't know I'll find out by asking others.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:42 AM
jwrich

Michael, I sure your work has inspired many modelers. I follow many of the construction threads on different forums and I am always amazed at the creative detail work that is accomplished. I have been building & flying RC airplanes for more 30 year and before I was satisfied if others could identify the airplane I built. After read many of the thread I realized it is not hard at all to add details and adding some details was better than nothing at all. I always encourage modelers to read these construction threads, I always learn something. More important, if you start a construction thread, you will receive many helpful advice along the way. This allows you to become more creative and you get a lot of self-satisfaction with your model.
Rich
Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 AM
jwrich

Michael, I sure your work has inspired many modelers. I follow many of the construction threads on different forums and I am always amazed at the creative detail work that is accomplished. I have been building & flying RC airplanes for more 30 year and before I was satisfied if others could identify the airplane I built. After read many of the thread I realized it is not hard at all to add details and adding some details was better than nothing at all. I always encourage modelers to read these construction threads, I always learn something. More important, if you start a construction thread, you will receive many helpful advice along the way. This allows you to become more creative and you get a lot of self-satisfaction with your model.
Rich
Old 01-07-2015, 02:46 PM
AndyF
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FireBee
Michael, a very impressive model and the weathering is what makes it look so real. I enjoy all the effort and detail,in your build. Your maiden should go great. This is a great looking replica. Awesome job.

just to add to the discussion on weathering. To simulate the castor oil all dripping on the engine, I used a small haired brush and "drizzled" pretty liberal amounts of Min-Wax stain (red chestnut 232) it looked great to me. Then protect it by finish with min wax clear (gold label) spray can polyerthane.
Mike,

Is that the Ziroli dummy radial?

Andy
Old 01-07-2015, 03:14 PM
MRadu

I'm not quite sure which dummy engine I used. It might be Ziroli and it might be just one I picked up at R/C flea market.
Sorry.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:24 PM
AndyF
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by MRadu
I'm not quite sure which dummy engine I used. It might be Ziroli and it might be just one I picked up at R/C flea market.
Sorry.
Hi Michael,

My question was directed at FireBee. I have a Ziroli that looks very close to his so I was just curious.

Andy
Old 01-07-2015, 03:26 PM
MRadu

No worries,
I'm also interested. His dummy engine is great!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:06 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just re-found this thread. I posted a quick note on the youtube video, and I was glad to see the first flight went well. I like your comments (somewhere in this thread) about how ignorance is best about what is REALLY on a full size plane. I just got back from the Washington DC Smithsonian. And the DVII there showed me a lot of things I got wrong. But I got a bunch correct also. So I called it even. ANY way....Congrats on the build, and if you get fed up with your 1/3 scale DVII, I know a guy in Minnesota that would take it off your hands.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:59 AM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Sorry for delay. I bought My Pup used and the engine was just plane cylinders. Could be BUSA or Ziroli. It was kinda thick Fiberglas if that helps and its 1/3 scale.

Just start adding the intakes, rocker arms, little bolts and nuts And soon you will have a decent radial. Good luck.