Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Kolm 135 install in CARF Mustang

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Kolm 135 install in CARF Mustang

Old 10-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you guys seen a flexible exhaust tube that matches the Kolm headers diameter?
I got this idea that it might be better to make a canister to go from three into one then you have the option to try a few scale outlets or just a center bottom dump.
I just refuse to do three holes in the bottom, it's just dumb!

Im not a fan of the exhaust next to the intake and the straight out pipes. The exhaust port should be on the opposite side of the cylinder and there's plenty of space to work with any exhaust style from there.
Roto Motor got this part right... at half the price, just sayin...
Old 10-03-2016, 08:53 PM
fo36cabriolet
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luckymacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKnf...s#action=share

here's a new video of a CARF Mustang and a Kolm 150. Yep, loud and proud. Kind of like a Harley motorcycle flying around the field. :-)
Awesome!!! Does the 150 also come with an installation kit/guideline for the carf p51?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Salte

Yes Kolm deliver a very good intallation kit for carf P51 that give wery good cooling/baffling!

Geir
Old 10-04-2016, 03:04 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Salte
Yes Kolm deliver a very good intallation kit for carf P51 that give wery good cooling/baffling!

Geir
Geir, are you using a gyro? Also can you tell me exactly where you balanced yours out at if you are satisfied with it and how much throws you are using for takeoffs and landings and if you have a different rates for normal flying what are they as well? How much dead weight did you end up needing?

thx,
lucky
Old 10-04-2016, 03:10 AM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by fo36cabriolet
Awesome!!! Does the 150 also come with an installation kit/guideline for the carf p51?
yes. Also, Thomas says the best warbird combo he's flown is the 150 with the spitfire so you might want to give that another look. It's certainly less of a pain in the ass than the mustang, less complex airframe and landing gear, cheaper and lighter, etc. here's a couple of examples.

https://youtu.be/EoW08gzql0k

https://youtu.be/NL1dMU6Hl5o
Old 10-04-2016, 05:21 AM
Salte

Geir, are you using a gyro? Also can you tell me exactly where you balanced yours out at if you are satisfied with it and how much throws you are using for takeoffs and landings and if you have a different rates for normal flying what are they as well? How much dead weight did you end up needing?

thx,
lucky
No gyro and i use the recomended CG and throws in the manual.After some flights i gave some more aileron throws and i now want to put the flap to max!
I use one flight condition,no difrent rates!

The P51 came out on 23kg and balanced With the batteries in the back so no extra weight/lead for balancing! And remember the IL150 With Electric starter is 7,5kg!

The P51 fly wery nutral and correct and i am wery happy With the airplane! a bit handfull landing on asfalt but wery Nice on grass!

Geir
Old 10-04-2016, 06:21 AM
luckymacy

No gyro and i use the recomended CG and throws in the manual.After some flights i gave some more aileron throws and i now want to put the flap to max!
I use one flight condition,no difrent rates!

The P51 came out on 23kg and balanced With the batteries in the back so no extra weight/lead for balancing! And remember the IL150 With Electric starter is 7,5kg!

The P51 fly wery nutral and correct and i am wery happy With the airplane! a bit handfull landing on asfalt but wery Nice on grass!

Geir
Thanks. We'd love to see any build pictures you may have. I'd like to see how you installed your equipment and batteries in the rear and how you access them for maintenance. Do you run temp sensors on both cylinders? any engine baffling installation pictures and tips would also be appreciated.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Geir
Just make sure they send you the right engine.... (insert roll eyes smiley)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:30 AM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Just make sure they send you the right engine.... (insert roll eyes smiley)
Yep, I still haven't been sent the longer prop hub extension that should have been there to begin with but i'll be sure to document the two side by side and how it helps or hurts the install by using the longer prop hub.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:46 AM
DrScoles

I saw it this weekend Lucky. Chris Nicastro brought out the big boy 3 cylinder to where we were flying. It would have made my install kit work perfectly.... ;-( Instead, I had to hack the hell out of everything to make it work... Oh well...

EDIT: I mean the longer extension would have made my install easier, not the 150.

Last edited by DrScoles; 10-04-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 AM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it this weekend Lucky. Chris Nicastro brought out the big boy 3 cylinder to where we were flying. It would have made my install kit work perfectly.... ;-( Instead, I had to hack the hell out of everything to make it work... Oh well...
Hello DrScoles, So if you where building another Carf model P51 which way would you go? Bigger, smaller or the same.

Thank You...
Old 10-04-2016, 07:32 AM
DrScoles

I've seen two of the Kolm motors now. I don't think I would hang the big dog off a mustang. Its just too big. Mine weighs 46 pounds dry. Thats more than CARF intended. its gonna be over 50 with the three cylinder. I would use the one I have or the smaller one. Mine was sloppy rich and it flew very scale like. With it leaned out properly, gonna be pretty fast. So, I think the 100 would work. And you would save a tremendous amount of weight and more importantly... stress on the airframe with one of the smaller ones.. The 135 weighs more than a moki 250!

The 150 is a good 4" longer than mine. We put them side by side with the cowl off, should have taken a pic! You're gonna lose a lot of space to put electronics and the gas tank with the firewall that far back. Chris is planning on putting everything aft of the cockpit. That will work, but will be a pain to get to.

I know there are a bunch of the 150's flying successfully, but you asked my opinion... ;-) Could be dead wrong.

I really want to do a spitfire, and I will be ordering the 100. Absolutely love the motors, engineering, finish, and sound is phenomenal. The electric start is also a huge plus. I don't have anywhere near enough time on them to make a judgment about reliability, time will tell.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:42 AM
luckymacy

I've seen two of the Kolm motors now. I don't think I would hang the big dog off a mustang. Its just too big. Mine weighs 46 pounds dry. Thats more than CARF intended. its gonna be over 50 with the three cylinder. I would use the one I have or the smaller one. Mine was sloppy rich and it flew very scale like. With it leaned out properly, gonna be pretty fast. So, I think the 100 would work. And you would save a tremendous amount of weight and more importantly... stress on the airframe with one of the smaller ones.. The 135 weighs more than a moki 250!

The 150 is a good 4" longer than mine. We put them side by side with the cowl off, should have taken a pic! You're gonna lose a lot of space to put electronics and the gas tank with the firewall that far back. Chris is planning on putting everything aft of the cockpit. That will work, but will be a pain to get to.

I know there are a bunch of the 150's flying successfully, but you asked my opinion... ;-) Could be dead wrong.

I really want to do a spitfire, and I will be ordering the 100. Absolutely love the motors, engineering, finish, and sound is phenomenal. The electric start is also a huge plus. I don't have anywhere near enough time on them to make a judgment about reliability, time will tell.
Thomas Gass might still have for sale a brand new Il100 for 1700 which would be perfect and a good price.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:58 AM
DrScoles

I know, I really should have bought it, but got way too many projects going right now. I have three moki 250's and only two airframes.... need to slow down.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:31 AM
luckymacy

I know, I really should have bought it, but got way too many projects going right now. I have three moki 250's and only two airframes.... need to slow down.
If anyone wants that inline 100 (more than adequate for the CARF mustang or spitfire) or a Bx110 that had 30 Flights on it in his GeeBee for 1500 contact him. Good deals.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Ixtrim

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if the exhaust pipes are on opposit side, the engine becomes so wide that it will not fit any more in small cowlings like mustang.

and about the price :
i have never seen a roto running. only read about the 80 twin inline and it looks like it has not very much power. would be intresting how many rmp the 3 inline does on what prop.

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Have you guys seen a flexible exhaust tube that matches the Kolm headers diameter?
I got this idea that it might be better to make a canister to go from three into one then you have the option to try a few scale outlets or just a center bottom dump.
I just refuse to do three holes in the bottom, it's just dumb!

Im not a fan of the exhaust next to the intake and the straight out pipes. The exhaust port should be on the opposite side of the cylinder and there's plenty of space to work with any exhaust style from there.
Roto Motor got this part right... at half the price, just sayin...
Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Ixtrim

Thanks for you help. Both engines are sold now!

Maybe i have a 230 for small price if anyone is intrested.
i had stressful days in the past, so i couldnīt follow that here. but now i will spend more time to help someone out if needed.
Lucky, i think your extender is ready, just will take care that it comes with an new ISB.

becaus of the problem with ignition... never heard of that bevor. what switch do you use ??? normaly with new opto switches its not possible do create failures in RX. also not with ISB.

sorry for my bad english.... itīs early in the morning ;-)

If anyone wants that inline 100 (more than adequate for the CARF mustang or spitfire) or a Bx110 that had 30 Flights on it in his GeeBee for 1500 contact him. Good deals.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:23 AM
luckymacy

Mike, how did you end up plumbing your retracts and where did you end up putting the tanks so they are out of the way and not taking up valuable space? I've seen them installed in the root wing bay. But what I'm thinking is the tanks are relatively light so I can now put them way up front where you'd normally put the batteries but the batteries must go in the back so that frees up some potential room.

Do you have any more flights on it? any video? I'd like to know what control throws you end up using for take off/landing and for normal flying. Also, exactly how far back from the leading edge of the wing is your CG and do you think it should be moved any further?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:29 PM
banjbob1

Tom

I was thinking of mounting my 135 solid without the front mount, if i strengthen the firewall up enough will it be ok this way?

thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:36 AM
Ixtrim

Yes will work. no problem!
Old 11-16-2016, 06:17 AM
banjbob1

Many thanks for the reply Tom,i'll go ahead and do it!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:40 PM
Ixtrim

do it! and donīt forget to post pics :-)
Old 11-17-2016, 11:06 AM
banjbob1

This was how i was going to do it but i was advised to bin the rubber.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	forum1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2190288   Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 5.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2190289   Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 4.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	2190290   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2010004.JPG
Views:	1146
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	2190291  
Old 11-17-2016, 11:29 AM
DrScoles

I initially mounted mine with the rubber mounts. The entire front end was reinforced with 6oz carbon. Fired it up and at idle, the whole motor was rocking back and forth about 3/8" either way. And then this happened. Brand new prop....Scary.

This is the original set up. Metal spacers solved the vibration problem. I wouldn't do half rigid half rubber, do all metal at front and back.

Name:	IMG_6255.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2190292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 11.28.07 AM.png
Views:	1201
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2190293  
Old 11-17-2016, 01:33 PM
flygono
My Feedback: (9)

Here are some pictures of how I hard installed the engine only supporting the back.
She proved very strong in the air, so much so that after crashing braking the fuselage and left wing in halve the front fuselage including fire wall remained intact, definitely stronger than it needs to be.
I am building a second one and started a thread on rcscalebuilder.com lots more pictures there, will do similar intallation

Name:	IMG_7197.JPG
Views:	1153
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	2190298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7204.JPG
Views:	1132
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	2190299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7223.JPG
Views:	1158
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	2190300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7224.JPG
Views:	1229
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	2190301  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.