Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Noob here what did I buy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Noob here what did I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:58 AM
mille806

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here what did I buy?

Hello everyone my name's Hector I'm completely new to this. I saw this old warbird and bought it. I know it has a OS 4 stroke and servos that's all I know about it. Does it look familiar? Does anyone know the make and model? Thank you!

Old 12-27-2014, 04:32 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a P-51 Mustang !

Actually, it's probably some chinese brand arf. The giveaway is the upside down star-and-bar emblem on the wing.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 AM
metaldriver

A quick question Hector; are you new to warbirds or rc models? Also the plane could be a built kit of the Great Planes P-51 in the .40 size range with an improperly applied star and bar on the wing. As I have seen that happen. The easiest way to see is to pop the wing off and post a few picks of the inside
Old 12-27-2014, 07:45 AM
mille806

Ok thanks I will take the wing off today and post pictures. I was told it was vintage built in 1996 I'm brand new to the war birds.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:18 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Looks like a Great planes kit build to me.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:41 AM
mille806

Thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge. Based on other photos I have found online I believe this to be a Great Planes kit. From what I heard the builder was respected in the RC airplane community he passed away three years ago his name was Don Zimmerman.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:01 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Great planes kit built mustang doesn't have a cowl like that and had strip ailerons. It is most likely a world models arf which was an almost exact copy with the exception of the cowl and the belly scoop. Good flyers Great planes did an arf that had a full cowl but it had strip ailerons. Course you never know it either way it could have been modified.. Open it up and lts see whats inside..

Last edited by 2walla; 12-27-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
mille806

Originally Posted by 2walla
Great planes kit built mustang doesn't have a cowl like that and had strip ailerons. It is most likely a world models arf which was an almost exact copy with the exception of the cowl and the belly scoop. Good flyers Great planes did an arf that had a full cowl but it had strip ailerons. Course you never know it either way it could have been modified.. Open it up and lts see whats inside..
The cowl was added custom it was never painted. The cowl needs some fine sanding and paint.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
mille806

Originally Posted by 2walla
The cowl was added custom it was never painted. The cowl needs some fine sanding and paint.