Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Topflite Giant P-47 Club

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Topflite Giant P-47 Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:03 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haefeli
tony help me out here, is this a kit you are bashing to have the stab removeable or what is this. I have never seen the arf version so I am lost here. what is the white colored filler? I buy the elmers carpenter indoor type by the 32 ounce tub for maybe 8 bucks. it looks just like balsa wood after it dries and sands and applies nice. plus if I feel like it I can add water and thin it down.
This is the RTC and it has all fiberglass fairings at the tail and the wing saddle, the white stuff is fiberglass.

TB
Old 03-11-2015, 10:32 PM
haefeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I go off the deep end where building is concerned. Maybe its just me making things more difficult than need be. I am guessing flaps take a lot of stress. How long is your runway. I only have 400 feet end to end. I safely get my third scale Cap 580 down but I absolutely pick my days. Wind needs to be from the east only. I have your standard electric poles and wires east end 100 feet from the runways end. I also hate to maiden at another club. Your plane looks very nice. I can tell your engine is pretty rich. The motor is 4 cycling at half throttle big time. Its fine for break in. When its broken in and after tuning both needles you still experience this than its the needle and seat setting internally. I have had this and unfortunately its something the carb needs to be taken apart to correct. Google walbro carb tuning and there is a real complete, easy to understand PDF out there that will let you thoroughly understand these carburetors. Many guys never even know this adjustment exists and never get full engine potential.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:49 AM
TonyBuilder

Sounds like you have a tough field. What background do you have with engines?

TB
Old 03-12-2015, 02:49 AM
TonyBuilder

Rcu dp

tb
Old 03-12-2015, 03:19 AM
haefeli

I built 2 stroke race engines for 30 years for myself and many loyal customers. Up to 340 HP from 1215 cc's. I enjoy modifying the small engines maybe more. A little port work and thinner base gasket makes things a little better. Don't go lower than .020" on the squish though. Runs well on 100 octane. Gotta work now. Take a break at 9:30
Old 03-12-2015, 05:21 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

How long is your runway. I only have 400 feet end to end.
My field is about 600 feet. I was getting stopped in less than 300 feet yesterday.

I can tell your engine is pretty rich.
I set it that way. The engine is still breaking in. John told me that I could lean it out and get more power....I said that I can do 500 foot diameter loops now!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:05 AM
TonyBuilder

My 37lb plane would do the turn at just passed half runway so maybe 250 or 300 feet is all that is needed if you come in slow and touch down at the start of the runway. I see guys touch down at the mid point of the runway and wonder why they run off the runway. 400 feet should be plenty as long as you come in slow and land in the first 1/4 of the runway.

If your hot and don't touch down early your going off.

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 03-12-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM
haefeli

webspace.webring.com/people/bf/flphg/idle_adaptation.html
see if this works to look at what I mean about mid range setting
Old 03-14-2015, 05:23 AM
haefeli

tony, I received my sheet metal pliers from Harbor Freight the other day. I got the 3 1/2 wide pair as they were the smallest I could find and only 7.99 which is unthinkable. they are finely made and real smooth action. my question is what were you holding the work piece with. please don't tell me a second pair of pliers.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:20 AM
TonyBuilder

I only used one pair so the others would be the best tool known to mankind, hands.

TB
Old 03-14-2015, 06:20 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I like the metallic finish.
Wondering if you guys have experience flying these shiny metallic planes.
Are they difficult to see on sunny days with the glare and all?
Old 03-14-2015, 06:33 AM
haefeli

Ducks aren't shiny. I will have painted invasion stripes. It will cast a glare for sure. In Michigan when summer is humid we have lots of cloudy days being surrounded by the lakes. I have many planes and I pick and choose what I'll fly just by the wind direction and speed. My friends Cessna 182 is so glossy from basecoat clear coat it sparkles in the sun and is amazing. Quality sunglasses are the ticket. I prefer the green tint and usually never have issues seeing my planes.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:28 PM
TonyBuilder

Shinny is cool

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	815.1 KB
ID:	2081472   Click image for larger version

Views:	537
Size:	807.7 KB
ID:	2081473  
Old 03-14-2015, 05:34 PM
haefeli

Shiny is cool. What covering and how are you making the rivet scheme. I see the direct TV remote control. Let me guess. You watched ww2 in color almost all day and built warbirds. I did not get to build today.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:26 PM
TonyBuilder

UltraCote brushed aluminum, and yes HBO, showtime, max, and stars benging in the background as I build

rivets and surface details by Chad Veich

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	545
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2081493  
Old 03-15-2015, 05:51 AM
haefeli

I learn something new everyday. Is the ultracote new? My hobby shop owner never mentioned it when I built my mustang and told him what I wanted to do. I will look into it. I will be building a Stimson with 50" long floats and I'm not sure how waterproof the seams will be and if the adhesive will slowly erode.the ultracote might be better, I just think the aluminum will be real nice against the fabric. I'm thinking dark red and cream for colors. Nostalgic scheme. They were built in Wayne Michigan about 2 hours south of me but I never see them. I will Google this chad guy and investigate the rivets.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:08 AM
haefeli

I just watched a how to video about the rivets. Don't they eventually come off. Boy I see you have a lot of rivets to apply. I didn't see chads website though. Just some you tube stuff. I'm having a slow morning, I worked almost 60 hours and the 2 a day driving and my wife dragged me all over yesterday shopping. I hope to get a lot done today.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:38 AM
haefeli

I like to watch NASCAR and nhra while I build on Sunday. I taped nhra last night and just watched Larry Dixon make like an airplane for 400 feet in his rail. Broke in half at 300 mph. Tony are these rivets aluminum? Thought the guy said vinyl. I hate to invest and not be able to use. I think if I did I'd have to apply next winter. I'd like to have this done by august. The cockpit will consume lots of time I'm sure. I still have to figure how to prep alum. for paint.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:05 PM
TonyBuilder

Rivets are vinyl, yes some will fall off, the brushed aluminum is new.

TB
Old 03-15-2015, 01:17 PM
haefeli

I thought I kept up on new product. Very nice stuff. I'm guessing rivets stick to film way better than aluminum due to porosity. Nav. Lights working. No lenses yet. Working on landing light retract servo. Dummy me put lever arm in wrong position after tryout over a year ago. I need to get my aurora 9x out and bind receiver so I can final set throws and set direction as I finish. Been using my optic 6 for assembly. I don't know how to set up the new radio and that will slow me down terrible. I have so many things y harnessed together and inline reversers. Throttle works cooler doors and cowl flaps. Landing gear operates from jomar gear sequencer that then operates servo to airvalve after inner doors open which are y harnessed to nav. Lights and landing light and servo to lower light. I've got this all in my head but time for diagram I think.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM
TonyBuilder

Last time I got a new radio it was like learning to speak chines! Took me a good month to get changed over and familiar.

TB
Old 03-15-2015, 01:34 PM
haefeli

Tried to load video of landing light. Need to do it from work Monday. My weak point is learning electronic stuff like radio.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I just watched a how to video about the rivets. Don't they eventually come off. Boy I see you have a lot of rivets to apply. I didn't see chads website though. Just some you tube stuff. I'm having a slow morning, I worked almost 60 hours and the 2 a day driving and my wife dragged me all over yesterday shopping. I hope to get a lot done today.
When using my rivets on a film covered model a clear coat of some type is highly recommended. I imagine that may defeat the whole purpose of the simulated aluminum finish on Tony's Jug so he will be venturing into untested waters. I will be very interested to see how well they stick over time with fuel residue and repeated cleaning. It would be a non-issue I think on an electric model but gas or glow may be problematic. Anyway, time will tell and thank you Tony for being the Guinnea Pig!

Haefeli, I don't yet have a web site for my r/c related products but you can reach me at cwveich@cwvmodels and I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. Or you can post them here if you think others might be interested.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:30 PM
haefeli

Thanks. I'll keep in mind.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:31 PM
TonyBuilder

Chad, yes clear coating will not be desired on the aluminumn covering I would think, I rarely clean my planes at all. The engine residue is not bad from gas, we will see how this holds up, definitely not anything like glasing and painting but for a sports scale everyday plane this will do, the Meister build will get the works.

TB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.