Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Topflite Giant P-47 Club

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Topflite Giant P-47 Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mirce,

Your builds and products are outstanding. My neighbor and flying buddy used some of your P-47 product and I loved how it turned out.

Z
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
I guess you did not "pull up now"!

TB
Ha ha! It was my son's not mine. A Spektrum radio hit, best we can tell. Both wings were pulverized, nothing to rebuild.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
Ha ha! It was my son's not mine. A Spektrum radio hit, best we can tell. Both wings were pulverized, nothing to rebuild.
No No No ... It couldn't be the Spectrum ... That would be Blaspheme. Just Saying OK!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:49 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you Nordich...

Most Detail set I sold are for Top Flite P 47, so I think this is one of the most popular model kit on the market...

Regards

Mirce
Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 AM
lancairmustang

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Ya give it to John to fix. U got more Pics of all the war birds ... the girls too.
Haha I fixed my mustang 4 times from nothing Mike!! John only fixed that Extra, and I got more of the warbirds yeah, and if there were any girls on this island I'd take a picture of them.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 AM
haefeli

okay, if you didn't know the warbirds were coming and there are no girls why oh why did you go to that place..........................even an old guy like me who lives in the woods knows not to do that!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 AM
lancairmustang

Originally Posted by haefeli
okay, if you didn't know the warbirds were coming and there are no girls why oh why did you go to that place..........................even an old guy like me who lives in the woods knows not to do that!
Haha well my parents said oh yeah it's a cool place, you would have thought that spring break here there would be girls!!!! No girls!!!!! I'm so disappointed... Oh well school starts back up on Monday and there are plenty of good lookin girls at home �� can't wait to go home and see them.... And my Tarheel hal of course
Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by lancairmustang
Haha well my parents said oh yeah it's a cool place, you would have thought that spring break here there would be girls!!!! No girls!!!!! I'm so disappointed... Oh well school starts back up on Monday and there are plenty of good lookin girls at home �� can't wait to go home and see them.... And my Tarheel hal of course
Trev:
When U were 13 I warned ya about "Girls & Cars" and Toy Sir Planes, Remember?
Anyway the most expensive is the 1 st one. Often after that one there isn't enough left for the other 2.
Just a warning been there dun that, but every guy has to find out for him self ... Even the O'L gezzers that
frequent these forums, Think they still have it. Flying skills I mean. LOL.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:27 PM
lancairmustang

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Trev:
When U were 13 I warned ya about "Girls & Cars" and Toy Sir Planes, Remember?
Anyway the most expensive is the 1 st one. Often after that one there isn't enough left for the other 2.
Just a warning been there dun that, but every guy has to find out for him self ... Even the O'L gezzers that
frequent these forums, Think they still have it. Flying skills I mean. LOL.
Haha oh I'll never forget that Mike, I'll never forget that you taught me how to fly ��, thanks for looking out for me Mike ��
Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Since I can't use the electric starter, I removed all the components and the lead weight that I had added to the tail. Came to 24 oz total. My plane will now be flying at 19 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	2084701  
Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 AM
radfordc

BTW, I checked on getting a steel gear and trying to repair the starter and the cheapest gear I could find was about $50 shipped. Misumi wanted over $60 for their gear. I may do it someday just to see if I can make it work. Hate to pay that much more since the entire starter system was only about $50 to start with. Mile High gets about $50 for the replacement gear. Sort of like buying an ink jet printer. They almost give the printer away and make their money on selling supplies.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:27 PM
radfordc

As an experiment I tried machining away the outer gear and just leaving the hub. Man...this stuff is harder than Chinese Arithmetic! I tried cutting it with a high speed steel tool and the tool just melted. When I attacked it with a carbide bit I was able to cut it but it produced a huge shower of orange sparks...almost like I was grinding it instead of cutting on a lathe. I was able to accomplish the work but was really surprised at how hard the material is. I've seen this same thing in other types of cast metal....super hard but very brittle. If I can find a suitable steel gear I will turn the ID to match the hub and shrink fit it in place and see if it holds up to starting loads.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2084727  
Old 03-28-2015, 03:58 PM
haefeli

I was just getting ready to use the original gorilla glue on my Robart hinge points and I see its not recommended for polyethylene or polypropylene plastics. Will this attack the hinge points. I thought they were molded nylon. Are these one of the materials mentioned? I assume this the best to use .
Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 PM
radfordc

Polyethylene is the stuff that they make fuel tanks out of. Nothing sticks to it that I'm aware of. You shouldn't have any problem with the hinge points.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 PM
haefeli

Thanks. I did use it so sparingly without water. 20 minutes later I saw it seeping out onto hinge line . I separated aileron a half inch and attempted to clean up. I was smearing it on oiled pin area and got scared and took it all apart. Will try to do it again Sunday after I check all the holes. What's the trick. I didn't moisten anything because I wanted to deter foaming. Does this clean up with water. I attempted to insert glue deep into holes.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

The way you install Robart hinge points with gorilla glue in a beveled hinge line as you can't use it on closed pocket hinges is as fallows.

use Vaseline on the joints of each hinge. Water makes the glue kick off faster and you get more coverage, but you don't have to use it.

I use qutip swabs and cut the cotton head off one end. Dip this in water to moisten the hinge holes. Then I use them to drip glue into the hole. You can use the swab to make sure you have glue on all surfases in the holes. Then some glue on the hinges, insert and wipe the excess off. You will need to baby sit the hinge and whip the glue that will start to bubble out. Use a small stick then wipe with a wet cloth. Do this until the glue stops coming out. Move the controll surface threw its full motion perioticly to insure you are good.

TB
Old 03-29-2015, 05:16 AM
haefeli

Well then I made a mistake cause I was golden. The amount oozing out was minimal and I did clean it but I did not know I could clean up with water. I thought the glue would foam worse. I have more stock of hinge points and will prepare another set and see what I have to do for any hole prep. Thanks you guys. Again lesson learned and point taken. On my cell phone I have a completely new look to the thread. Did rcu make a change?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 AM
radfordc

Yeah, I'm seeing the same "new look" on my phone. Generally, any glue that oozes out can be picked away after the glue sets. You can remove the glue from the hinge points you removed by soaking in acetone.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:11 AM
haefeli

I will try that after my second cup of coffee. I panicked because I thought this glue got hard as a rock and even though I had oiled the pins I knew I had smeared glue across. I'll never use oil without Vaseline again. I like knowing I have link cavity filled to prevent glue getting between the 2 halves. If I had done that I may of continued wiping. I will have water and fresh roll.of paper towel tore into smaller squares to minimize glue smearing and getting finger print glue smears. So if I do acetone is the remover. Good to know. I was ill prepared last night.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:19 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

radfordc,

Your new P-47 weighs in at 19 pounds? I've never seen one landing at that weight. Should absolutely float!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 AM
radfordc

Yeah, maybe too much of a floater. I may have to add weight just to get it to land with the engine at idle.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you got your LA-7 back in the air yet?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by haefeli
Thanks. I did use it so sparingly without water. 20 minutes later I saw it seeping out onto hinge line . I separated aileron a half inch and attempted to clean up. I was smearing it on oiled pin area and got scared and took it all apart. Will try to do it again Sunday after I check all the holes. What's the trick. I didn't moisten anything because I wanted to deter foaming. Does this clean up with water. I attempted to insert glue deep into holes.
Not sure why use Gorilla Glue at all. You have to be so careful not to use too much because it expands like the devil. In a blind hole, it could push the hinge out too. And why use a glue you have to baby-sit. I've used 15 min epoxy with robarts for ages, not problems, no failures. And it's fire-and-forget. Nothing will change on you as it sets.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:02 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by Lifer
Have you got your LA-7 back in the air yet?
Yes...good as new.

After doing another W&B I had to add back most of the weight to the nose of the P-47 that was removed when the starter came out. Still just over 20 lbs.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
Not sure why use Gorilla Glue at all. You have to be so careful not to use too much because it expands like the devil. In a blind hole, it could push the hinge out too. And why use a glue you have to baby-sit. I've used 15 min epoxy with robarts for ages, not problems, no failures. And it's fire-and-forget. Nothing will change on you as it sets.
I agree......epoxy works every time and is plenty strong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.