Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top RC Models MkIV full Composite Spitfire-a game changer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top RC Models MkIV full Composite Spitfire-a game changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 04:06 AM
CapnMorgan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys- just looking at getting one of these- was thinking about this cooling question- looks like Forces is using a DLE55 with a side vent- so a lot of cowl cut out for the muffler- would a DLE55RA be a nicer fit, more head exposed for cooling- and able to use larger/more scale size 3 or 4 blade props? I have DLE35RA engines in an esm mustang and a hangar9 beaver- would really like to step up to a 55cc and hoping this Spit would be a candidate- especially seeing as how much lead is used to balance a 35cc. Any words of wisdom before I start buying?
Old 02-28-2017, 04:36 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CapnMorgan
Hi guys- just looking at getting one of these- was thinking about this cooling question- looks like Forces is using a DLE55 with a side vent- so a lot of cowl cut out for the muffler- would a DLE55RA be a nicer fit, more head exposed for cooling- and able to use larger/more scale size 3 or 4 blade props? I have DLE35RA engines in an esm mustang and a hangar9 beaver- would really like to step up to a 55cc and hoping this Spit would be a candidate- especially seeing as how much lead is used to balance a 35cc. Any words of wisdom before I start buying?
CapnMorgan; the DLE-55RA is installed in my TF P-51, I posted the photos to show "Tailskid" how the heat shield is installed between the muffler and carburetor. The heat shield is a must to install if any DLE RA engine is installed in the Spitfire. The other photos I posted are of my H9 Spitfire with the FG36 installed; the photos show the air dam I installed to assist in removing hot air form the cowl. Without the air dam the engine would eventually stop due to over heating caused by the confined and narrow Spitfire cowl.

Last edited by ForcesR; 02-28-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:03 AM
CapnMorgan

Yep- sorry Forces- I meant Chris923 installed the 55. Been reading through this thread an the one on rcgroups too. Seems this is a real nice plane- just investigating the best power option. Will defo put the baffle under the muffler on the Mustang now.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:50 AM
ForcesR

I thought I would post photos of this beauty even though it's not a Top RC Spitfire that I finished assembling last weekend. It's ready for it's maiden flight and is powered by a DLE55RA, scale exhaust stacks and cannons, wing span is 89", weighs 29lbs before addition of fuel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ESM Spitfire (2).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	734.2 KB
ID:	2203365   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESM Spitfire (3).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	722.2 KB
ID:	2203366  
Old 02-28-2017, 06:26 AM
CapnMorgan

That looks real cool. I like the ESM spit- especially the 50cc one- but liked the 2 piece wing of the top rc version. 89 inche's is a tad too long for my trailer. By the way you have too many Spitfires (or is that possible lol). Looks like a must in RAF colours too- love it. 😃
Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 AM
ForcesR

That looks real cool. I like the ESM spit- especially the 50cc one- but liked the 2 piece wing of the top rc version. 89 inche's is a tad too long for my trailer. By the way you have too many Spitfires (or is that possible lol). Looks like a must in RAF colours too- love it. 
I only have 6 Spitfires of various wing spans, all in RAF colour schemes. For some unknown reason I just love Spitfires, especially when they have 4 stroke Saito's installed!!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:13 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

ForcesR,

That's a nice looking bird!
Old 02-28-2017, 04:49 PM
zrooster

Everything you say makes sense to me. I run the EME35...I'm not sure how the electric start would fit, but I ended up having to cut the cowling extensively for cooling AND to fit the engine/plug. I had to put a lot of weight up front to balance...would recommend balancing 5-10mm forward of where the manual suggests.

All-in-all, it's a GREAT flyer, and looks BEAUTIFUL both on the ground and in the air. Just flew mine for the first time with a 4 blader. More than enough power. If you go with the 55 you should be able to put a closer to scale 4 balde on there AND get some great performance.

You can look back in this thread for how mine turned out.

Last edited by zrooster; 02-28-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:53 PM
zrooster

Originally Posted by ForcesR
I thought I would post photos of this beauty even though it's not a Top RC Spitfire that I finished assembling last weekend. It's ready for it's maiden flight and is powered by a DLE55RA, scale exhaust stacks and cannons, wing span is 89", weighs 29lbs before addition of fuel.
Beautiful bird! I just maidened the ESM Dora. Say what you will about ESM, but the planes seem to look and fly well...
Old 02-28-2017, 11:15 PM
CapnMorgan

Thanks ZROOSTER yep- ran through the thread again and noted the issues. I love the full composite idea- and also the fact the wings split for transport (my trailer is rather limiting) - also seems a good flyer. Would I be right in thinking all spitfires would have similar cooling issues? I prefer gas- but have seen the 60cc Mustangs flying electric and they fly real well but could I force myself to the dark side and put a motor where an engine should be 😆 - I have loads of 6cell 5000mAh lipo's for my smaller planes so that is an option.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 AM
zrooster

Thanks ZROOSTER yep- ran through the thread again and noted the issues. I love the full composite idea- and also the fact the wings split for transport (my trailer is rather limiting) - also seems a good flyer. Would I be right in thinking all spitfires would have similar cooling issues? I prefer gas- but have seen the 60cc Mustangs flying electric and they fly real well but could I force myself to the dark side and put a motor where an engine should be  - I have loads of 6cell 5000mAh lipo's for my smaller planes so that is an option.
That, my friend, is a question we must all answer for ourselves! On the bad days, in the dark reaches of my psyche, I find myself fantasizing about the ease and reliability of electric power... On the good days, I think that all the effort is worth it! For now, I'm sticking to gas, but I just got two giant gassers flying smooth... Today is a good day...

On a serious note, I would think that the cooling issue SHOULD be the same on all spits, but there may be enough variables that effect airflow and cooling to make them different. I'm speculating, but things like: how the mount box sits in the airplane...how the engine sits on the mount box...bumps, scoops, and protrusions...what's behind the engine...are a few that come to mind.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM
ForcesR

This is my theory and may shed some light on cooling issues with some Spitfires. I have 4 Spitfires that are equipped with gas engines, the ESM has not been flown yet so it will be left out of my theory for now. The H9 30cc has the simulated carburetor scoop molded into the cowl, this Spitfire had cooling issues. To correct the overheating issue, I had to add an air dam to the leading edge of the hot air exit hole to assist in removing the hot air from the cowl, the overheating issue disappeared. I firmly believe with the carburetor scoop being moulded into the cowl, it restricts the available area at the bottom of the cowl for the proper sizing of the hot air exit hole.

The TF .60, 1/7 scale and the H9 .60, 1/7 scale Spitfires both have the simulated carburetor scoop attached to the leading edge of the center wing. The two Spitfires have no air dam added and there is no problem with engine cooling. I believe the reason for this is the underside of the cowls have a larger area that can be removed to allow 2 to 3 times the size for a hot air exit hole compared to the size of the cold air intake hole at the front of the cowl.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 AM
zrooster

This is my theory and may shed some light on cooling issues with some Spitfires. I have 4 Spitfires that are equipped with gas engines, the ESM has not been flown yet so it will be left out of my theory for now. The H9 30cc has the simulated carburetor scoop molded into the cowl, this Spitfire had cooling issues. To correct the overheating issue, I had to add an air dam to the leading edge of the hot air exit hole to assist in removing the hot air from the cowl, the overheating issue disappeared. I firmly believe with the carburetor scoop being moulded into the cowl, it restricts the available area at the bottom of the cowl for the proper sizing of the hot air exit hole.

The TF .60, 1/7 scale and the H9 .60, 1/7 scale Spitfires both have the simulated carburetor scoop attached to the leading edge of the center wing. The two Spitfires have no air dam added and there is no problem with engine cooling. I believe the reason for this is the underside of the cowls have a larger area that can be removed to allow 2 to 3 times the size for a hot air exit hole compared to the size of the cold air intake hole at the front of the cowl.
Now that's interesting! The scoop on the Top RC Spit attaches to the belly, BUT, I cut very little around it initially. The thing that seemed to work the best, and get me where I needed to be was when I really opened up the cowl outboard of the scoop on both sides (I initially just had two slots there).

You can see it here:

And here:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1547
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2203540   Click image for larger version

Views:	92
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2203541   Click image for larger version

Views:	1604
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	2203542  

Last edited by zrooster; 03-01-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:23 PM
CapnMorgan

Hmm. Love this Spit, love gas, hate the idea of Hacking up the cowl. The cost of a motor and speed controller is more than a DLE55RA - but after watching a video of the Horizon Hobby guys flying electrified 60cc Hangar9 Mustangs - and more importantly HEARING them (they really scream- sound fantastic) I gotta say I'm getting more tempted to go electric (the esc/motor would still need cooling but not as much cowl cutting. Thanks again for both of your views Forces and Rooster - think I'll reread through the thread- again. Lol.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:02 PM
CapnMorgan

Just one more thought- we have a couple of companies nearby that make custom mufflers/exhausts. I wonder if by moving the gas engine muffler back and maybe more cannister in shape would help.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM
ForcesR

Originally Posted by zrooster
Now that's interesting! The scoop on the Top RC Spit attaches to the belly, BUT, I cut very little around it initially. The thing that seemed to work the best, and get me where I needed to be was when I really opened up the cowl outboard of the scoop on both sides (I initially just had two slots there).

You can see it here:

And here:

This is just my opinion and I have no intention of raising an argument, it's just food for thought. Even though your scoop is attached to the wing it still extends forward and covers a significant rear bottom portion of the cowl. It's very similar to the area of the cowl that is covered by my moulded in cowl scoop. If you would have known at the time to install an air dam it may have prevented you from having to hack out the cowl on both sides of the scoop to achieve the cooling you now have.

The TF and H9 .60 size Spitfires I have that have the scoops attached to the wing; the leading edge of the scoops do not extend to cover any bottom area of the cowl, this allowed the bottom area of the cowl to be cut out to achieve a properly sized hot air exit hole. No cooling issues so no air dams installed on those two Spitfires. My ESM 50cc Spitfire has the simulated carburetor scoop also attached to the wing but the scoop does not cover any area of the cowl. I expect no cooling issues with this Spitfire either but that will be proven when I do the maiden flight.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:29 AM
zrooster

This is just my opinion and I have no intention of raising an argument, it's just food for thought. Even though your scoop is attached to the wing it still extends forward and covers a significant rear bottom portion of the cowl. It's very similar to the area of the cowl that is covered by my moulded in cowl scoop. If you would have known at the time to install an air dam it may have prevented you from having to hack out the cowl on both sides of the scoop to achieve the cooling you now have.

The TF and H9 .60 size Spitfires I have that have the scoops attached to the wing; the leading edge of the scoops do not extend to cover any bottom area of the cowl, this allowed the bottom area of the cowl to be cut out to achieve a properly sized hot air exit hole. No cooling issues so no air dams installed on those two Spitfires. My ESM 50cc Spitfire has the simulated carburetor scoop also attached to the wing but the scoop does not cover any area of the cowl. I expect no cooling issues with this Spitfire either but that will be proven when I do the maiden flight.
No argument from me, if I had known then what I know now, I would have added an air dam and left more of the cowl intact. In fact, I'm seriously considering buying a new cowling so that I can go back and do it that way...of course, that would require me to redo the nose art, weathering, and nose weight as well. I think it might be worth it in the end, though.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:32 PM
CapnMorgan

Ok- I just placed my order for the Spitfire. Still haven't decided on power yet. If I go electric it would be nice if I could use my 6cell 5000MAH (would use 2 in series) as I have about ten of them. But I'm still exploring the DLE55RA route too. I'll keep this thread updated with progress.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:55 PM
zrooster

Ok- I just placed my order for the Spitfire. Still haven't decided on power yet. If I go electric it would be nice if I could use my 6cell 5000MAH (would use 2 in series) as I have about ten of them. But I'm still exploring the DLE55RA route too. I'll keep this thread updated with progress.
Look forward to seeing it take shape!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:05 PM
CapnMorgan

Well the Spitfire has arrived- what a fantastic looking plane. It is the Canadian version and has invasion stripes. I'll be using the top RC retracts. Engine choice is still undecided. The firewall is 95mm by 90mm and as such seems to be too tight for a DLE55RA's standoffs without major work I think. Also my 6cell lipos don't fit nicely. So, edging towards another DLE35ra now- although I'm investigating a ZDZ 40RA. Regarding cooling- I've been looking at library pictures of the Mk9 Spitfires- and seems some had a smaller air scoop further back behind the cowl - this would enable an unobstructed outlet.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:32 PM
larryg1959

I have the DLE 35RA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaLdNarW2qQ&t=67s
Old 03-12-2017, 04:22 PM
zrooster

Well the Spitfire has arrived- what a fantastic looking plane. It is the Canadian version and has invasion stripes. I'll be using the top RC retracts. Engine choice is still undecided. The firewall is 95mm by 90mm and as such seems to be too tight for a DLE55RA's standoffs without major work I think. Also my 6cell lipos don't fit nicely. So, edging towards another DLE35ra now- although I'm investigating a ZDZ 40RA. Regarding cooling- I've been looking at library pictures of the Mk9 Spitfires- and seems some had a smaller air scoop further back behind the cowl - this would enable an unobstructed outlet.
Who's livery is this version? Is it still Johnnie Johnson?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 PM
CapnMorgan

Yep- still Johnny Johnson just with invasion stripes. No hardcopy of the manual- but there is an online one and this great thread- and seems like a very straightforward build anyway. Not gonna start quite yet cos I normally start with mounting the engine- and still deciding on that. It may be I keep with the DLE35RA and use the already run in one out of my Hangar 9 Beaver and put the new one it that.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 AM
zrooster

Yep- still Johnny Johnson just with invasion stripes. No hardcopy of the manual- but there is an online one and this great thread- and seems like a very straightforward build anyway. Not gonna start quite yet cos I normally start with mounting the engine- and still deciding on that. It may be I keep with the DLE35RA and use the already run in one out of my Hangar 9 Beaver and put the new one it that.
The build isn't difficult...as usual, the manual is lacking in detail. Feel free to ask questions as you go along!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:16 AM
CapnMorgan

Thanks very much. Just spoke to IAD models here in the UK and I may be able to get the ZDZ 40cc with rear exhaust via special order. That can swing a 22 inch prop- so keeping my fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.