Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Who's still flying their warbird with a Futaba Super9 tx ?( ..flap setup question )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Who's still flying their warbird with a Futaba Super9 tx ?( ..flap setup question )

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who's still flying their warbird with a Futaba Super9 tx ?( ..flap setup question )

Im a little embarressed to admit it but I have forgotten how to program flaps on my Futaba Super9 ...yeah its been a while.
I have a Topflite 60 size Corsair and I want to use a 3 position switch for flaps....first position of the switch, or switch off , would be of course flaps in the up or closed position, then when I flip the 3 position switch down once I would like the flaps to say drop 25%, then flipping the switch to the most bottom position I want the flaps to drop alittle more to around 60% or so. The flaps are Y harnessed together that go into one channel of the rcvr,...I think its channel 5 or 6 on the rcvr but I dont recall since Im not looking at the plane right now.
Can somebody give me a little detail on how to program what Im looking for?
Thanks in advance!!!!
John
Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Assign the channel to the switch, i think its in the PARAM menu? It's been a while.

Then, center the switch and lower the end points to just a few points each way, say 10 points or so, you dont want the servos to move much at all, just barely.

Make sure the channel reverse is set correctly.

Mechanically set the flaps so that with the switch centered you have your approach/takeoff position (center switch)

Select flaps up. Run the appropriate end point up until the flaps are up without binding.

Select land flaps. Run the appropriate end point out until the flaps are full down w/o binding.

Fly and enjoy
Old 01-15-2015, 07:24 PM
JohnMcGowan

I reckon Im going to have to scratch my head and stand back a few feet .....I can get flaps up and full flaps but cant get the radio setting to give me 1/4 to 1/2 flaps for some reason?
Im going to take it out Saturday for some break in flights and may or may not try the flaps for landing, just depends on how the plane feels I guess. Once I get back I'll try to figure out what Im doing wrong. I noticed on the tx that on the end point numbers on the L, I have it set to 97 with the switch in the up position and 0 on the R side. When I drop the switch one position to where I would want 25% flaps, I get full flaps, so while the switch was left in that position, I tried to back off the end point but the flaps never moved even when I reduced the number to 0. When I drop the switch all the way, the tx cursor moved to the R position and want let me dial anything in as far as numbers. I know its me doing something wrong, just cant figure it out yet.
Cuda, I'll give your method a try too and see if that gets me where I need to be.
THANKS!!!!!
John
Old 01-16-2015, 04:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

LOL don't feel bad.

The mid flaps is obtained by mechanical adjustment or sub trim.

Up and down by end point.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 AM
JohnMcGowan

Andy( Barracuda) , you Sir are an evil genious !!! My hat is off to you!
I went downstairs last night to attempt your instructions and BAM! .... It worked!!
I had to remove the servo arms off the servos to grab a different position of the servo teeth but had it working pretty well within 20 minutes. I do have the left flap servo ( Hitec 625mg) jittering a little bit for about 5 seconds once it goes back to the closed position for some reason but I think I can live with it. The corsair looks pretty slick with its 3 piece flaps coming down appx 20° then with flip of the switch coming down more to full flaps!!!

Next question,... would you also think about mixing in a little down elevator and leaving that mix on full time when the flaps are deployed?

I greatly appreciate everything!!!
Im going to give this bird a go tomorrow since the weather here is supposed to be great...I'll report back to let yall know how it did.
John
Old 01-16-2015, 11:38 AM
BarracudaHockey

You're going to need elevator compensation for sure, the best way is to take it up high, fly it at an approach speed with the gear down, and lower the flaps and see what it does.