Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

NEW TopFlite GS P-47 Razorback 2015

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NEW TopFlite GS P-47 Razorback 2015

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:00 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, Terry. Love the checkers and invasion stripes.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 AM
rzingsheim
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mpizpilot,
What did you use for the flat clear coat?
Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 PM
dubd

Decided to keep it simple and used a BVM hatch latch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2149299  
Old 02-25-2016, 05:51 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That good!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:37 PM
sarawnty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the same technique on mine. Simple.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

First run up on the motor. 6300 rpm with a 24x14 Zoar prop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvs_ktmSXc
Old 04-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Maiden flight today finally. Nothing but praise for the way it flies. Lands like a trainer an really moves with the 55. Had 2 issues, first flight the hatch dowels came out and the hatch came off. No damage.

2nd flight, 3 of the cowl blocks broke apart because of not enough glue. Prop rubbed the cowl a bit, but nothing major. I remade the cowl blocks out of solid wood. Should be good now.

Views:	240
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	2156732   Click image for larger version

Views:	209
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	2156738  
Old 04-10-2016, 07:19 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Who was asking about the (ARF) Tar Heel wheels ... Measured mine to day and the width was/is 1.380 and the Dia is 4.92 Give or take they are not round or have a consistent width.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:16 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
Maiden flight today finally. Nothing but praise for the way it flies. Lands like a trainer an really moves with the 55. Had 2 issues, first flight the hatch dowels came out and the hatch came off. No damage.

2nd flight, 3 of the cowl blocks broke apart because of not enough glue. Prop rubbed the cowl a bit, but nothing major. I remade the cowl blocks out of solid wood. Should be good now.
Had to rebuild my cowl mounts with triangles and dowels.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:02 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took delivery of my new TF GS P 47 Razorback last week. I have finished the retract installation and the wing servo and linkage hook ups. I am powering it with an electric motor and 12s 2p Lipo turning a 4 blade Varioprop. I have spent the last 2 years working out the brushless setup using my old TF GS P 51 B as a mule. The electric motor and its components overloaded the B model (29 lbs.), so i could only carry 1/2 of the batteries necessary for duration. I was able to get 7 minutes out of the B model with a 12s 2p 3300 mah (6600 mah total). The Razorback has a little more wing area and a much better wing airfoil for carrying motor batteries.
Here is the wing, the retracts are being aligned and fine tuned. The razorback fuse is leaning up against the door frame. The new electric brushless motor is due to arrive tomorrow.
As soon as i have the motor installed and all of the necessary power system components ( ESC, Prop, hub/spinner, wiring and engine cowling) in place i will bolt the wing and tail surfaces on and check the cg. The placement of receiver and flight pack batteries go in next to try and get the best position for cg, and the the fuselage servos can be added last to fine tune the flying cg. I can usually assemble/position the equipment to get the cg without adding lead to the plane. None of the models you can see in the picture carry any lead ballast for cg purposes, the big glider does carry ballast to aid penetration in a tube that allows rapid adding or removing ballast for changing weather and thermal conditions, it can be as light as 64 ounces or as heavy as 100 ounces. The jet is being stripped for repainting and a new electric fan system for power.

Name:	P 47 004.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	811.7 KB
ID:	2165577  

Last edited by sjhanc; 06-02-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Pictures?
Old 06-18-2016, 04:07 PM
sjhanc

I now have the ARF assembly complete and ready for test flight. It has rained heavily all day today so I started doing some of the markings, I usually wait until after a successful test flight period to do markings but rather than waste a day I went ahead and did the squadron codes and tail numbers.
I decided to install the Dualsky 6000.8 motor for power, I have read some good reviews of this motor. It is fairly light and looks well constructed-we'll see how it performs.

Name:	WP_001530.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	2168598  
Old 06-18-2016, 06:50 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by sjhanc
I now have the ARF assembly complete and ready for test flight. It has rained heavily all day today so I started doing some of the markings, I usually wait until after a successful test flight period to do markings but rather than waste a day I went ahead and did the squadron codes and tail numbers.
I decided to install the Dualsky 6000.8 motor for power, I have read some good reviews of this motor. It is fairly light and looks well constructed-we'll see how it performs.
Too bad "Lectrics don't Sound REAL. I know that these are set up for Foam Models but Andrew at mrrcsound.com might have a way to get these to work in conventional construction.
https://www.motionrc.com/collections...stem#video-tab
Old 06-19-2016, 03:45 AM
sjhanc

Yeah, I know it don't sound real, just like the annoying chain saw motors don't sound the least like ANYTHING full scale that flies. Except maybe those flying lawn chairs the guys down here are always flying into power lines. But the screaming vertical climbs and incredible top speed and the ability to turn a scale looking Hamilton Standard 4 blade prop (Varioprop) more than make up for not sounding like an old 2 stroke motorcycle without a muffler. Besides, the slip stream and prop noise is loud enough to keep me happy.
I have flown my TF GS P 51B with both the mrrcsound and the better German Benedini Sounds on board with high power amps and large car speakers and neither one could be heard over the airframe and prop noise once the plane got off the runway. And don't try to recommend transducers to me, I have a dozen of them in the junk box, they burn up if I turn the sound up loud enough to hear the digital engine sound on the runway. This is why I elected to not install the sound system in this plane until the manufacturers develop a system that can be heard when the plane is in the air. And the plane flies much better without the 3+ pounds of sound system equipment on board.
And when my plane goes cruising past a gasser that is busting its gut trying to stay ahead, no one can tell which plane is making the chain saw noise until my plane gets far enough ahead to make it obvious that noise does not equal performance. Especially gas model engine noise.
For you guys who are going to say 'The batteries cost too much', I am using lipo packs I bought 3 years ago, one pack has over a hundred flights on it. I use 24 cell packs that don't even warm up during a flight and can be recharged as soon as it gets back on the ground. I discovered that 24 cell packs have such a low current draw (the max current draw is distributed between twice the number of cells), that high 'C' rated cells are not necessary. This allows me to purchase much cheaper 25 c and 30 c packs.

This is an example of a wired 24 cell 12s 2p 6600 mah 35c lipo pack. Because of the parallel wiring, the max current draw can be 70c, It is made up of 6, 4s 3300 mah 35c packs. I go out to the field with 3 complete fully-charged packs and when the first pack is discharged I put it on the chargers and continue flying with the other two. Since I usually fly 4-5 flights before I am ready to go home this is more than enough for plenty of fun. The weight of this pack is 5 lbs with wiring. It delivers 7 minutes of high performance flight (with reserve) and with the complete power system installed the gross weight of this P 47 is 24 lbs. 5 oz. The combination easily turns an APC 26-15 electric prop and can out-perform my ZDZ 80 in climb and top speed but its performance is better with the 4 blade 22.6-18 Varioprop and the 4 blade gives the best propeller efficiency and the lowest current-draw at high speed (130 mph +)

For the P 47, I will use these packs, but I have 1, 12s 24p 10,600 mah pack that gives 10-12 minute flights with plenty of reserve capacity for missed approach go-rounds. I will gradually phase in more of the larger capacity packs.
I am operating 3 GS models now, 1 electric and 2 gas powered and it is beginning to look like the electric planes, because of almost no vibration of any kind, have a lower per-flight operating cost. No 2-stroke oil at over $60 per gallon, no $4 per gallon alcohol-free gas (I know I can get cheaper oil and gas, I just like the added performance I get with the good stuff), no fuel tank systems to overhaul several times a year, servos last indefinitely, and no expensive muffler to crack and loosen its bolts. So, other than changing flight packs to get another flight, I spend a lot less time tinkering with it. This gives me more time to work on my more labor-intensive gas powered models.

Name:	WP_001449 (1024x898) (640x561).jpg
Views:	478
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	2168647  
Old 06-19-2016, 05:07 AM
TLH101

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Too bad "Lectrics don't Sound REAL. I know that these are set up for Foam Models but Andrew at mrrcsound.com might have a way to get these to work in conventional construction.
https://www.motionrc.com/collections...stem#video-tab
Take a listen to this one on fast flybys. Sure sounds more realistic than a weedeater.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmTfC6lvEy4
Old 06-19-2016, 06:09 AM
sjhanc

TLH101,
Yours sounds very similar to my P 51B when I have a 2 blade prop on it. Unfortunately my 4 blade prop is almost dead silent even though it pulls the plane 20 mph faster (no prop rip). To compensate, I installed 2, i4c air whistles to duplicate the scale supercharger sound. They have to be modified to emit their sound at high speed and the old guys who have had military experience say that the whistles do a good job. So I have the airframe, prop (2 blade), and supercharger noise, we just need the scale engine exhaust noise. As soon as a sound system manufacturer releases a LOUD digital engine sound I will buy it in a heartbeat. To me it is not worth carrying the extra weight unless I can hear it on a full throttle pass. For now, I have to be satisfied with blowing the decals off of the gassers as it Zoooooms by them.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:00 AM
TLH101

It's not my model, belongs to a guy on the electric P-47 thread I started on RCG http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600302
I do have on set up the same as that one, but have not flown it yet. I actually have it listed for sale on the RCU Market. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemID=1075317

Name:	20160613_183533.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	697.9 KB
ID:	2168669   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160613_183523.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	753.5 KB
ID:	2168670   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160613_183459.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	637.8 KB
ID:	2168671   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160613_183442.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	635.3 KB
ID:	2168672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160613_183418.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	658.2 KB
ID:	2168673  

Last edited by TLH101; 06-19-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:02 AM
TLH101

Double post

Last edited by TLH101; 06-19-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Lifer

I prefer gas engines as well, but if a fellow modeler wants to run electric, why hassle him? It's always better to fly with friends than fly alone.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:20 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Lifer
I prefer gas engines as well, but if a fellow modeler wants to run electric, why hassle him? It's always better to fly with friends than fly alone.
No Hassle just suggested a sound system. I've always noted No mater what anyone buys when they have it it's better than anything else and they will defend it to the death. After the dispose of it well many times it's a whole different story. Again Sorry if I ruffled anyone Feathers or struck a nerve, with my suggestion, but some people are way to sensitive and a many/some times they take things the wrong way. Didn't want to start a war so that's my last word and anyone can take it for what ever they want.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:01 AM
sjhanc

Default TF GS P 47 Razorback, my first P 47

Here is my new Top Flite P 47 Razorback ready to fly. It weighs 29 lbs. Radio is a JR XG14 with 11 channel receiver and 2 2550 mah receiver batteries. Servos are Hitec 5645 digitals on the control surfaces with Spectrum A7040 high torque flap servos. The motor is a Dualsky Ga6000.8, flight power pack is a 12s 2p 10,600 mah 24 cell lipo, The test flights will be flown with an XOAR 24 inch prop, then I will install a 4 blade Varioprop for flying. The main landing gear is electric Robart using the wheels that come with the ARF kit, a separate battery powers the retracts. I elected to use a Top Flite fixed tail wheel assembly (not supplied with the Razorback Arf, but it does come with the bubble canopy version).
I modified a Sullivan 1/4 scale 5/32 inch wire nose gear strut to replace the flimsy wire strut that comes with the TF fixed tail gear assembly. I had used the stock wire strut for more than 12 years years on 5 TF GS P 51 models before I discovered that the small diameter wire deflected under normal loads when taxiing and caused unstable ground handling. I have a Robart retractable tail gear but after spending a large amount of my time fiddling with the pull-pull steering I gave up and installed the fixed unit. Robart makes a reliable unit for the Hanger 9 60cc Mustang but it would take a lot of modification to install in the TF warbirds. It might be easier to install in the kit versions of TF warbirds.
I never use the squadron markings supplied with warbird models because I don't like to see duplicate markings on several warbirds at the same flying event. The markings on this version were used on the Gabreski Razor back that carried 15 kills painted on it. When new it carried white theater bands painted on the nose tail and flying surfaces. The colors reflect the period when the USAAF began to allow group and squadron markings on its planes.
Assembling this ARF took me about 3 weeks and was the easiest build to date. The kit comes with a lot of abs plastic detail parts that are very fragile and easy to break when handling. The canopy cracked on a front edge when I picked it up with one hand, I repaired it by stop drilling the crack and gluing a strip of credit card in the weak area using canopy glue. I also reinforced the side edges by gluing 1/32 inch ply strips inside, then I reinforced the inside of the fuse with hardwood where the countersunk wood screws go through the canopy rails into the fuse. I don't like to glue canopies on because when they are damaged it is difficult to repair without making a mess out of the cockpit area. I haven't checked yet but Fiber Glass Specialties usually makes a superior replacement for the stock canopies. Their engine cowls are superior to the ones supplied with ARF and kit models.
The plane is completed now and balances right on the recommended cg without any nose or tail weight by shifting the flight batteries around. First test flights are waiting for cooler temperatures in September (it is 100+ degrees out now). I am sure the plane can handle the hot weather but I can't. The first flight will be made with a lighter flight pack installed (12s 2p, 24 cells 6600mah) and a takeoff weight of 24.5 lbs. This ARF has a little more wing area and a much better lifting airfoil than the TF GS P 51 so I expect better low speed (much lower) stall characteristics. Safe approach speeds for the 6 TF GS P 51 model I have owned or am now flying is 30+mph. This doesn't sound like too much until you try to land one that weighs 30 lbs on its stock wing design, the landing gear can't take even slight bouncing. Misjudging the touchdown and dropping it from 3 inches altitude will tear the gear out of the wing. I experienced my first TF ARF P 51D tear its r/h gear out of the wing on a smooth main wheel landing on a glass smooth runway (very disappointing). Later post-mortem inspection revealed NO GLUE in the right wing panel.

Name:	vlcsnap-2016-06-22-00h45m15s905.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2169050   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2016-06-22-00h51m32s441.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	2169051   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2016-06-22-00h51m08s665.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2169052  

Last edited by sjhanc; 07-16-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:28 PM
sjhanc

Default TF GS P 47 Razorback, my first P 47

I finally got it to the first test flight after a long period of dealing with vibrating brushless motors. The Dualsky 6000.8's spinner bolt hole is bored off-center making any thing using this hole also rotate off-center. This created a horrendous vibration that shook the whole airframe. The Manufacturer supplied a new shaft and bearings free-of-charge but the stator is a shrink fit on the shaft, so it needs a trip to the machine shop for a hydraulic press removal of the old shaft and to press the new shaft in. I needed to get it flying sooner so I bought an EFLITE P 360 motor and redid the motor mounts to fit. Needless to say, the P 360 shook as hard as the Dualsky motor. Hours of tedious experimenting went by before I found I could balance the P 360 by installing Gorilla tape strips inside of the P-47 ARF's supplied spinner hub.

The balancing act paid off and I got it out to the field this week for Its maiden flight. It needed all of the available down trim to fly level, but was otherwise manageable in flight. The landing was a surprise as the plane cruised down the runway at 3 feet and would climb every time the wheels touched. Even with the prop stopped it just kept going. When it reached the far end of the pavement at 3 feet alt., it suddenly stopped flying and dropped into the grass, damaging one wing's gear mounts.

I ripped out (or should I say gently pried) the broken gear mounts out of the wing and used the remains as templates to build new mounts out of REAL plywood.

The next trip to the field went a lot better, now I was aware of its floating tendency so part of the trim adjustments I made was to drastically increase the flap down angle. This flap setting makes a lot less lift and a lot more drag. Now it can be flown down to the touchdown with power on and the float tendency is gone. The next two landings were grease-jobs with a proper run-out and no tendency to ground-loop.

The 3rd test flight was made with a 10,000 mah LIPO pack and after a 5 minute flight flight I landed it with 3,000 mah used. The prop used is an XOAR 24-14 wood prop and high speed runs and vertical climbs were impressive. The next flight will be made turning an APC 26-15 electric prop that was the best two blade prop used on my electric TF GS P-51B. It will get a Ramoser Varioprop four blade for later flights.

Name:	TF GS Electric P-47 Razorback first takeoff IMG_1228.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	2179959  
Old 09-07-2016, 10:54 AM
mikmarsh
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Brison 4.2 in mine. What are you using for mufflers ? a regular pitts muffler wont fit.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 AM
sjhanc

I have now flown my Razorback with 3 different props to compare its performance to my TF GS electric P-51B. The first prop I tried is the P-51B's best 2 blade prop with the RimFire 50 cc brushless motor, the DA 50r,and the DA 60 gas motors, a Graupner 22-12 Pro Carbon.
The Mustang's max rpm in flight was 8,280 rpm with 81.4 amps current draw, approximately 110 mph in level flight. And it reached speeds in excess of 120 mph out of dives.

With the same Graupner 22-12 the Razorback's Eflite P 360 turned a max of 7,704 rpm with 53.2 amps current draw, approx. 97 mph level flt. Max dive speed 105 mph

The second prop tried is an XOAR 24-14 wood gas prop, The P-51B's max rpm is 5,616, 161.8 amps current draw, approximately 77 mph level flight. The Razorback's max is 6,565 rpm, current is 84.4 amps, approx. 95 mph, dive speed 105 mph.

The last and largest prop is an APC 26-15 electric prop, with a RimFire 65 cc motor installed the P-51's max is 6,421 rpm, current is 71.8 amps, approx. 100 mph. The Razorback's max is 6,605 rpm, current is 70 amps, approx. 103 mph level flight.

Compared to the P-51, The Razorback gives similar performance with the smaller 22-12 prop, but does not seem to reach the same speeds as the Mustang out of dives. The Mustang recorded consistently higher dive speeds with the exception of the XOAR 24-14 wood prop, which the RF 50 cc motor did not like at all. The P-51B had excellent acceleration from stopped all the way up to top speed, while the Razorback did not accelerate well with the 22-12 until it reached its top speed. It also needed much higher throttle stick settings at slow speeds to keep it moving, adding throttle to turn is necessary to avoid rapid loss of altitude in turns. With the larger props the Razorback did not seem as sluggish in turns.

Another conclusion is that the Eflite P 360 motor has a very wide range of propellers that can be used with it. The smaller props took advantage of its high rpm capability to get good top end performance with very low current draw and the larger props gave better low and mid range while still delivering good full throttle at lower current draw.

I also have P-51 performance charts with the 4 blade Varioprop installed, it is generally 20-30 mph faster in level flight with even lower current draw than with 2 blade electric and gas props. It will be interesting to see how the Razorback responds to having a 4 blade prop installed but I suspect that its resistance to gaining higher dive speeds indicates higher airframe drag to overcome. North American incorporated a number of high speed design features in the P-51 that led to its exceptional speed-to-horsepower performance, and I am not referring to the laminar flow wing.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Lifer

Didn't the P-47 have 25% more H.P. than the Melin-powered Mustang?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.