Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Meister Scale P-47 kit for NOVICE builders

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Meister Scale P-47 kit for NOVICE builders

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Skyputter
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony, thanks for the tip. As a beginner I am sure I will learn from this build the processes/methods I like and what I would like to change. I will consider your method in the future on other parts of the plane, or a different plane all together! What you said makes sense.

On another note, I am trying to plan ahead while building the wing and am considering, only considering mind you, putting lights in the wings. The Meister site does't offer them as an accessory. Where do you guys go for stuff like this?

Thanks guys,
Perry
Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Hello Perry, you can find topic about Meister Scale P 47 building here also:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...step-step.html

Enjoy...

Best regards

Mirce
Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skyputter
Tony, thanks for the tip. As a beginner I am sure I will learn from this build the processes/methods I like and what I would like to change. I will consider your method in the future on other parts of the plane, or a different plane all together! What you said makes sense.

On another note, I am trying to plan ahead while building the wing and am considering, only considering mind you, putting lights in the wings. The Meister site does't offer them as an accessory. Where do you guys go for stuff like this?

Thanks guys,
Perry
there are a few sets out there, some cheap at $40 and some at $200. You want them to be bright or you don't see them. I have used Rcxle optical kill switches (pour mans version) to do the wing tips lights, you can split the LED from your engine kill and get a green to go with the supplied red. I run my landing light of a Rcxel and use the LED off that for the tail so two $15 Rcxel opticals switches does the trick and I run a 11v on the landing light.

TB
Old 04-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Perry,
Just give Dino a call he does offer a lighting kit thru his other company, Aero Accessories LTD.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Greg Wright

Xenon and LED Navigation
and Landing light systems

(2/6 Watt Cessna system shown)

P-47 Lighting Setup InstructionCLICK HERE FOR CURRENT PRICING
Old 04-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Skyputter

Greg, thank you for the info. Funny, I did contact Dino thru email and he told me how to get the lenses but never mentioned the lighting kit. ??? No big, I still don't know if I'm going to put them in. Not that the cost for the lights is a big factor, but the flip down landing light is something I may not want to tackle on this project. For me, it's always a cost (in difficulty) vs. benefit (cool factor). At this point I'm not sure if the lights are worth it. Who knows, I may change my mind next week...

One thing I know I do have to get are the wheels and tires. Any suggestions?

OK, I'm going to post the next series of things I was able to do this past weekend...

Thanks guys for all your info, I really appreciate it and am sure those who follow the thread do so as well.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Skyputter

Default The ugliest wing bolt plate you're ever going to see...

Last time I left off in step 12, so here we go.

Step 13

1) So we supposed to glue the wing bolt in place in this step. OK, sounds good to me. So I place the wing bolt plate in place and get it ready to glue, just like the picture in Ash’s directions.

So far so good. Then, when I get ready to mix the glue and microbaloons (Ash says to make sure this is really, really strong, I notice on the plans there is a balsa cross piece.

Huh, that isn't mentioned in the directions, but I think that is a good idea. So I cut a small piece of balsa and dry fit it in.

Then, I remember in smaller models of long past I used to inadvertantly squeeze the thin portions of the wing to hard trying to get them on and off and feeling a slight "squish" when you know you've squeezed to hard... any of you do that? OK, I must be the only one, so I thought it'd be a good idea to fill in the thin spot with another piece of balsa so if I grab this part of the wing I don't end up crushing it and saying all sorts of nasty things at the field.

Doesn't look to bad so far. I drilled some holes in it to lighten it up a smidge, no big deal. Then, a buddy of mine comes over and takes a look at it. He asks if I was going to put a small piece of hardwood (basswood) in where the the bolt goes through so I don't accidently crush the wing when I tighten down the bolts. I look at him like a deer in headlights. I look at the plans, there is nothing that indicates I should do that, but it sounds like such a good idea because I've done that before! So how I have to cut away some of the balsa I just got done gluing in with 30 min epoxy to have a piece of basswood large enough to drill and glue into place.

So don't laugh, I know it's ugly looking but it will do the job and will be sheeted over - thank God.

This is a pic of both wings. I have sanding to do and no, because the wings are sitting next to eachother the trailing edge of the wings shouldn't be separated like this. That will be another topic very soon. BUT, it is ugly looking and I'm not one who takes pride in belittling myself, but as I said in the beginning, if one can learn from my mistakes and save themselves time and money - not to mention headache, this thread has accommplished its goal!!!

2) W2A was glued next to W2 according to plans.

Till next time!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.JPG
Views:	880
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2086880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.JPG
Views:	878
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2086881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2086882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.JPG
Views:	879
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2086883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 2.JPG
Views:	933
ID:	2086884  

Last edited by Skyputter; 04-06-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Greg Wright

Skyputter,

If you need some inspiration on the lighting decision. Here is my Carf P-47 with Dino's lighting kit installed.

Name:	DSC02204.JPG
Views:	1200
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2086899   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02206.JPG
Views:	1111
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2086900  

Last edited by Greg Wright; 04-06-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:23 PM
TonyBuilder

Lights are a must, cool or not, otherwise it is incomplete

TB
Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM
Skyputter

Greg,

I admire your work and your plane. Imagine my surprise when I was thumbing through the current issue of RC News when I see you and your beauty in an article. Thank you for sharing your info on this thread, although I really don't know why some of you master builder types are on a "beginner" thread like this. I don't mind the company or the comments at all, but I just would have thought novice issues I address here would bore you... sort of like having to fly a trainer all the time. LOL

Again, my thanks for your comments and shared info.

Regards,
Perry
Old 04-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Skyputter

Default Wing spar

OK, before we get started on the plans, I decided to remove the extra stock on the bottom of the leading edge I previously mentioned in post #24. I wanted to put the wing back on the plans so it layed flat. So, what I did was I placed a 1/8" sheet of covering on the bottom of the wing against the leading edge and drew a blue line with a sharpie. I carefully layed the wing on several towels and because there was so much stock to remove, rather than use the long board and manually sand, I used my palm sander with 80 grit paper. I CAREFULLY removed the stock short of the blue line. By doing this, I was able to lay the wing back onto the plans and I pinned the wing to the work surface.

Now that the wing is flat again, I feel better and ready to move forward!

Step 14:

So in this step we slide the wing spar into the wing and check for fit. The spar supposed to fit snuggly, but you should be able to slide it in and remove it freely. You may have to sand a few of the ribs; I had to sand one rib for the spar to move freely. I used a small, fine file to do the job since I didn’t want to remove too much material.

I slid the spar into the wing until the line inscribed in the middle of the spar was even with W1. I slid the spar further into the wing than the pic indicates, for illustrative purposes only.

I slid the spar in the wing, looked like this. Note there is room between the rib and spar.

Step 15:

1. I used the supplied 3/8 x 3/4 balsa strip to make the spar housing. The strip has to be cut to length, ends sanded properly so each piece will rest above the spar removing the room above the spar you see in the above photo. I test fit each piece carefully tacked them in with CA. The balsa strips removes the sloppy fit of the spar. At the end of the spar, I added a small "stop" so I had some "meat" to glue the balsa strip to in this section.

2. I kept sliding the spar in and out of the wing each time I glued a balsa piece into each section to make sure everything fit tightly and I wasn't getting glue onto the spar. I didn't want to accidently glue the spar into the wing because I got careless with the glue.

3. After all the balsa is in place for the spar housing, next is to cut the spar webbing. Before I did that however, I noticed there was a very slight twist in the wing. So I decided to place weights on the wing so all the ribs were flat against the table and let it sit over night. I did this with both wings and decided to glue the webbing in later which should take out the slight twist.

Till next time!!!

Name:	IMG_0875.JPG
Views:	805
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	2087842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878.JPG
Views:	814
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	2087843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.JPG
Views:	832
Size:	694.3 KB
ID:	2087848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0874.JPG
Views:	816
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	2087849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2087850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0944.JPG
Views:	810
ID:	2087854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0945.JPG
Views:	838
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2087855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2087856  

Old 04-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Just found your thread. All of my P47's were small, all flew well. That is one BIG nice looking fuselage. Best of luck.

Cheers,
Old 04-11-2015, 02:49 PM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many guys out there are building the Meister jug ????
Old 04-11-2015, 06:32 PM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by SIX GUNS
How many guys out there are building the Meister jug ????
only Dino knows the answer to that

P.S. Soon to be one more!

TB
Old 04-12-2015, 05:11 AM
SIX GUNS

Tony , I got the response that I wanted make that soon to be 2 more

Jim
Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 AM
TonyBuilder

The thing about the Meister is that it is not much more in cost then to build a tataly all out TFGS P-47. I have built three TFGS P-47s and have been concentrating on the P-47 for a couple of years and will be only building the Meister for now. I can see this being a popular kit, it might be a bit more challenging then the TFGS for a novice beginner, but not impossible if you build it per plans, I don't and won't so I really like this kit for that reason, I too would be interested in numbers comparing Meister sales TFGS sales and Ziroli.

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 04-12-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Greg Wright

Originally Posted by Skyputter
Greg,

I admire your work and your plane. Imagine my surprise when I was thumbing through the current issue of RC News when I see you and your beauty in an article. Thank you for sharing your info on this thread, although I really don't know why some of you master builder types are on a "beginner" thread like this. I don't mind the company or the comments at all, but I just would have thought novice issues I address here would bore you... sort of like having to fly a trainer all the time. LOL

Again, my thanks for your comments and shared info.

Regards,
Perry
Perry,
I come on this thread to try and share some of my knowledge and experience to the novice modeler so that they can start learning what i had to learn during my 40 years of being involved in this hobby. I'm still always learning new techniques on how to do things during some builds and if i can give any advice to the newbie in the hobby i will. I'm not one of these guy's that keeps secrets on how i do things.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Skyputter

May you fly with the sun at your back, blue skies and an ever so slight head wind. It's folks like you who give this hobby a future with us youngsters (to the hobby) following your lead. Thank you so much for "flying a trainer" with us.

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
Perry,
I come on this thread to try and share some of my knowledge and experience to the novice modeler so that they can start learning what i had to learn during my 40 years of being involved in this hobby. I'm still always learning new techniques on how to do things during some builds and if i can give any advice to the newbie in the hobby i will. I'm not one of these guy's that keeps secrets on how i do things.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:13 AM
JSZ
My Feedback: (73)

A pic of the one I just picked up from Gary & Brian Prince. The do some of the best building on this kit I've ever seen. Plane has working cowl flaps, sliding canopy, working cooler doors, all the lights and more.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:14 AM
TonyBuilder

Just ordered my full wood kit, should get started next month or so.

TB
Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Tony,what are you using for power?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
Tony,what are you using for power?
Maybe this

This should fit in the cowl, but I haven't decided yet.

TB

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	2089107  
Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM
JSZ
My Feedback: (73)

Forgot the pic

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	928.6 KB
ID:	2089178  
Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 AM
SIX GUNS

skyputter , any more work on the jug , did you get the wing centers figured out ??
Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Skyputter

Originally Posted by SIX GUNS
skyputter , any more work on the jug , did you get the wing centers figured out ??

Hello, Guns. So sorry for the delay guys.

I've stopped the build temporarily since I found out I was missing a part to make the flaps. I called Dino and he had to order it himself and recently got it into the mail. The project stalled a bit also due to work, but I hope to be up and running sometime later this week.

As far as the wing centers, I think you mean where the W1s on both halves come together? Well, I sort of figured it out with MUCH consultation from some experianced builders and from PJ Ash. I will post what issue I ran into and what I have decided to do about it in another post, this is something I want to be clear about and it would take way longer than I have right now to do it justice. As always, I will try to explain with pics to save others from making the same mistake, but I will say I do understand why you guys begin the build the way you do. I didn't get it the (which is why I wanted to use PJ Ash's instructions), but I do now. It's not a matter of what is right or wrong, but what builders have sucess with and what they don't.

Anyway, again I apologize for the delay. The weather was absolytely great today so I actually spent some time in the air with the other planes and had a good time with friends.

I will chat with you guys soon!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.