Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pica 88" Spitfire ....... seeking aftermarket construction manual.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pica 88" Spitfire ....... seeking aftermarket construction manual.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:48 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pica 88" Spitfire ....... seeking aftermarket construction manual.

Does anybody have an after market instruction manual (not the orifginal kit instructions) or know where I may buy one? I've researched dozens of threads on the Pica 1/5 Spitfire and have read a couple of posts mentioning that somebody did at one time market his own instruction manual that he produced just for the 88" Pica kit. But I have not found a name, working link, or any means to contact that person. I do not feel comfortable attempting to start this project from the original instruction manual included with the kit.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this gentleman got what you want?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Scale-PI...-/181716546078

perhaps he could copy, or has he got 2 sets? I dont think Pica destructions came in a ring binder, could be extras?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do you want th einstructions that show the changed CG?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:03 AM
Merlin Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I too have built the Pica 88" Spitfire using the kit instructions. They may not be as detailed as some, but they are ok. , they work, they even tell you when to go and have a cup of coffee. !!

So don't panic, just do it .

Just my 2 cents worth. Lol,
Cheers,
M.M.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 AM
rustyrivet

Rambro,
The c of g, and other issues like making a light fuse aft of the wing, retract location etc. are not a problem once one reads hours of archives and has been forewarned. I consider myself VERY forewarned now! LOL

Thanks gents. I'm working on another plane right now, and I'm just preparng myself for the Pica Spit. Probably have 9 months to 1 year before I start it. I just wanted to be sure that this $400 purchase is worth keeping and buying the engine and components for.

Merlin Man,
I think you're right. Once it starts taking shape, I'll figure out the next step until it's done........ in spite of the less then stellar instructions and the attempt at humor written into the instuctions. What the heck was all that about having Comedy Central written into an instruction booklet anyway? Maybe too the instruction booklet was wriiten in the Spring, and the wrong center of gravity location was a bad April fools joke.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 04-20-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Merlin Man

HI,
Yes, agree about the comedy routine, wrong time, wrong place, but not really an issue. I got the follow up changes to the c of g, lightening the tail etc.that pica provided, but nothing about the retracts. Worked that out with the help of these threads.

Good luck,
M.M.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 PM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by Merlin Man
HI,
Yes, agree about the comedy routine, wrong time, wrong place, but not really an issue. I got the follow up changes to the c of g, lightening the tail etc.that pica provided, but nothing about the retracts. Worked that out with the help of these threads.

Good luck,
M.M.
On the topic of retracts; it's often mentioned how the retracts are too far back on the Pica and commonly cause nose overs. How do you like this modificaton and solution!!? Unless somebody says that this is NOT a good idea, I will likely be doing that myself. It seems that with enough reinforcement and spar webbing, it should hold up fine.......while putting the retract forward enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pica retract in wing spar.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2090661  

Last edited by rustyrivet; 04-20-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Merlin Man

Hi,
Yes, that probanbly would be ok (I think , I'm not particularly expert at wing engineering ! ) I can't show you what I did because it's all skinned over, but it was similar. I had another spar in front of and behind the retract unit that traversed the wing 5 ribs out from the centre plus vertical shear webs surrounding the retract cut out

I feel sure others who have done this could also advise.

Cheers,
M.M.